Joe Bussard - 78 Collector

DongerDonger 854 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
This is a dope little video. Road Trips, digging from door to door, tracking down the artists and recording them in their own homes = First Hardcore Digger?http://pitchfork.tv/?p=one-week-only

Comments

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    b/w i like this video 1,000,000 times better than the guy who cries that he cant sell his collection for a million dollars.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    b/w i like this video 1,000,000 times better than the guy who cries that he cant sell his collection for a million dollars.

haha i was just gonna say this!!

this doc is GREAT!!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Thank you.

Really.

THANK YOU.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    "When I leave this world I think I'm gonna have that laying on top of me in my coffin. And then they'll be coming around 20 years later digging that up to get the record."

dude just LOVES music. it aint about having the collection its about love!!

he hated rock n roll haha

he is full of joy....

god thank you for this

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Someone just shared this link of old Radio Station Call Letters and Logos with me:

http://uv201.com/Misc_Pages/letterheads_1.htm

Some great stuff in there, Joe would dig this.

• I can't view this @ work, but I'm pretty sure from the description
    that this is one of the bonus vids on Desperate Man Blues.
    If you find dude interesting, you should look into seeing that.
    Definitely enjoyable - it's radd to see someone who has been collecting for so long
    to still be so enthusiastic about the music.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    It's funny to me that he pretty much hates 99.9% of the music discussed on this board.

• It's funny to me that he pretty much hates 99.9% of the music discussed on this board.

Thats ok, most of Soulstrut does too.

I can't view this @ work, but I'm pretty sure from the description
    that this is one of the bonus vids on Desperate Man Blues.
    If you find dude interesting, you should look into seeing that.
    Definitely enjoyable - it's radd to see someone who has been collecting for so long
    to still be so enthusiastic about the music.

its actually the whole documentary

• cool. from the description as a "little video",
    I thought perhaps it would just be the extra mini-doc that's tagged onto the dvd.

cool. from the description as a "little video",
    I thought perhaps it would just be the extra mini-doc that's tagged onto the dvd.

maybe it is? i dunno haha

• pitchfork reads like it's actually Desperate Man Blues.
    It was a little less than an hour long.
    The other mini-doc, which covers the same stuff in a much shorter time,
    along with more talking head footage, was 20 minutes at the most.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Wow, that dude is badass. I'm a have to peep that whole doc.

b/w

If I have a head of hair like him when I'm his age, I'll be doing good.

• do they touch on the fact that dude made the earliest recordings of John Fahey in this clip/movie?

cuz he did.

• cool movie, just finished watching, wasn't this guy featured in wax poetics?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Wow, that dude is badass. I'm a have to peep that whole doc.

b/w

If I have a head of hair like him when I'm his age, I'll be doing good.

Not just that, his whole demeanor, the way he moves, talks. He's like a grey-haired teenager. Great stuff. Love for music keeps you young - I really believe that.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    cool movie, just finished watching, wasn't this guy featured in wax poetics?

Yup.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    This is a dope little video.

Road Trips, digging from door to door, tracking down the artists and recording them in their own homes = First Hardcore Digger?

http://pitchfork.tv/?p=one-week-only

they showed the whole doco here about a month ago.... I was in awe and my flat mate was cracking up going to me...'thats gonna be you man...!"... I bloody wish....

I love the bit where he goes to see the two old timers about records and then takes em to his car to play em the old tunes he collects and one of the old fellas starts singing along to a song he hasnt heard since he was a little kid....

oohh and how he doesnt want the camera dude to film where he places his most valuable record in the stash! Classic....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Love that documentary, watching it with Joe's commentary track in the extras is facemelting. Who was it on here who actually went to his place & posted a bunch of pictures of the visit??

• Love that documentary, watching it with Joe's commentary track in the extras is facemelting. Who was it on here who actually went to his place & posted a bunch of pictures of the visit??

damn, someones got to repost that!

excellent cd (though apparently the version with the 72 page booklet has been replaced by a standard version):

• It was me that went last year although he's had bunch of folks in the basement over the years. As long as you LOVE music and can listen to his stories you're welcome to hang out as long as you want -

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It was me that went last year although he's had bunch of folks in the basement over the years. As long as you LOVE music and can listen to his stories you're welcome to hang out as long as you want -

That is awesome. A* B*D!

• Awesome that you visited him NevilleC. Did you know someone who knew him, or just show up? Would love to go there myself before he's gone.

Also, did he make any comments that reflected his, uh, old-fashioned attitudes about race?