PUTS appreciation thread.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hip Hop is dead.

But who are the 5 Deez? MF Doom? Count Bass D? What's a Fat Jon beat?, and what's an ample soul physician anyways? J Rawls?, nah never heard of him. Gift of Gab, nah that dude can't flo. And let's be as honest as a hater can get, this Madlib dude just sucks, in fact everything Stones Throw related is mad suspect. I mean, shit, who's this old timer Pete Rock? When's this guy going to give it up, when he's collecting social security? Molemen? Is that a cartoon? Daedelus? That's straight looped! Wu Tang Clan? Sorry, I don't like Chinese food. J Live? Yea, right. Monster Island Czars? Rjd2? Come again?

English as a second language?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hip Hop is dead.

But who are the 5 Deez? MF Doom? Count Bass D? What's a Fat Jon beat?, and what's an ample soul physician anyways? J Rawls?, nah never heard of him. Gift of Gab, nah that dude can't flo. And let's be as honest as a hater can get, this Madlib dude just sucks, in fact everything Stones Throw related is mad suspect. I mean, shit, who's this old timer Pete Rock? When's this guy going to give it up, when he's collecting social security? Molemen? Is that a cartoon? Daedelus? That's straight looped! Wu Tang Clan? Sorry, I don't like Chinese food. J Live? Yea, right. Monster Island Czars? Rjd2? Come again?

You are an alias. Yes?

• I just dig their overall sound, they always get their samples to sound warm and buttery. I guess I can see how they'd be boring to some people. If you were old/cool enough to be buying records in the early 90's (I wasn't) then you're probably like "eh, its been done." I'd say its a guilty pleasure, but why feel shame- when I can't deny that viscerally, I just enjoy their music.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    I too celebrate their entire catalog.

Acid Raindrops is the motherfucking cut. San Francisco Knights is hype.

Thes One is the most slept on/underappreciated producer in underground hip hop.

Their lives shows have so much energy and those beats sound amazing on a big system.

Just my 2 cents............

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Hip-hop is dead.

Oh...... so thats 1/3 of what we're here for down the poo-chute then.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Hip Hop is dead.

You are an alias. Yes?

Gotta be.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Who are all these new dudes who act like it's not OK to dislike something? This board is turning into a rest haven for hoes.

later

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    But MCdoom..like your shits is any better.

haha but im glad im technically allowed to have opinions on music since i produce. i never knew this before, i guess its time to let hell loose.

But MCdoom..like your shits is any better.

haha but im glad im technically allowed to have opinions on music since i produce. i never knew this before, i guess its time to let hell loose.

ha yeah, you are a qualified one.

I however. am not (sniff)

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    PUTS are above average.

PUTS are above average.

Above average in their genre of hip hop. but that genre is barely above average.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    PUTS are above average.

Above average in their genre of hip hop. but that genre is barely above average.

Let it go. Thes One can drop a beat. Don't spend all your time hating and saying hip hop is dead when there's all this dope shit around you. Alias? Nah, just calling out the bullshit.

PUTS are above average.

Let it go. Thes One can drop a beat. Don't spend all your time hating and saying hip hop is dead when there's all this dope shit around you. Alias? Nah, just calling out the bullshit.

hahaha. I cant figure out if this is why I hate or love the internet.

Dude, im not hating. There is shit I like.

But for people (such as yourself) to hold them up to some crazy godlike standard and call "bullshit" when someone doesnt like it is just plain stupid and as they say "soo not a good look right now"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "soo not a good look right now"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "soo not a good look right now"

Cosmo you are clearly a hatter.

Last time I saw you spin you didn't play one joint by PUTS. Not a ONE!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Cosmo you are clearly a hatter.

Last time I saw you spin you didn't play one joint by PUTS. Not a ONE!

Word, PUTS > Cosmo & Docbizzle.....

FACT

Word, PUTS > Cosmo &

FACT

that is the funniest thing i have saw!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

• Alright, time for my completely unnecessary input. I like some of their stuff but I feel that it for the most part expounds upon existing production rudiments without adding that much. I'd kind of like to hear a mixtape by them or something. They were pretty cool in person, and they did this thing with a vintage drum machine and an NES that was pretty impressive. I will say that making beats and rapping about making beats is pretty lame. Not that it is their exclusive lyrical focus, but still. And not that they're great rappers, but they're at least as good as C.L. Smooth. I just don't see them being remembered beyond a few years. I have a lot of the same problems with Kanye that I have with them. If I never read interviews with either artist I might have less of a distaste for them, and just feel the indifference they probably deserve.

A lot of non-fans and hatters have given similar responses - PUTS are a bit boring and don't bring much innovation to hip hop.

I think thats cause they're not about trying to engineer something unheard of or some super duper brand new genre creating yabba-dabba-doo shit.

For them its perfectly good where its at - i.e.. back in the day. PUTS are all about that style and that time - and they do that pretty dang well.... They may not have lead the way, but I'd say they have no-doubt brought something new to the table as far as the style they're repping is concerned.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    A lot of non-fans and hatters have given similar responses - PUTS are a bit boring and don't bring much innovation to hip hop.

I think thats cause they're not about trying to engineer something unheard of or some super duper brand new genre creating yabba-dabba-doo shit.

For them its perfectly good where its at - i.e.. back in the day. PUTS are all about that style and that time - and they do that pretty dang well.... They may not have lead the way, but I'd say they have no-doubt brought something new to the table as far as the style they're repping is concerned.

I think you're reaching a bit there.

PUTS are good at what they do but I wouldn't say they've innovated anything in hip hop (how many times can you make the same album?).

That said, there's only so many songs I can hear about

"drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed,drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed, drink a 40 on the porch, dig for records, make a beat, smoke some weed" over a chopped up Hihache.

For real, I like some their stuff but it gets tired after a while.

• they suck they're raps suck they're beats really suck and they're ugly...

I think there's gonna be a fight...

SONIC

Dude quite rightly detected the distinct scent of....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I am very dissapointed in the lack of NY based hate in this thread

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I hated PUTS until I met Thes 1. Our conversation was brief, but he was very friendly. They later put on an impressive, energetic show. I still don't care for their music, but I no longer talk shit about the group.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I think O.S.T., the song, is DOPE.
    Also, "Hang Loose" (DocBeezy approved) is sick...and dare i say...fun.

Furthermore, ThesOne's "Noonen" was underwhelming to me upon first listen. then the more i listened to it, the more i loved it. the way it builds is really nice. good morning drive song

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    PUTS is aight. Can't we just leave it at that?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    No, you either have to love them or your whole taste in music is suspect!

PUTS is aight. Can't we just leave it at that?

................................... Yeah. Fair point really.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

I bought a few of their records and I won??? be buying any more.
    Its not like they are wack or anything its just that they are amazingly skilled in the art of being boring.