Can I Sell On Ebay Without Using Paypal

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Wondering. I've got stuff to list. I felt my last few auctions, years ago, suffered from not offering paypal. Someone told me ebay requires that you use only paypal. T or F?If I do sign up for paypal, how should I set up my account to protect myself from paypals tricks?For those wondering why I don't already use paypal I recommend reading the Users Agreement.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, you're no longer legitimately allowed to accept checks or money orders. I think in order to list something now you have to either link to a paypal account or have your own credit card processing thing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    At this point trying to sell on Ebay without Paypal is a waste of time.

I've used Paypal as both a buyer and seller for almost 7 years now and I've had one problem which I could have avoided if I was a little smarter(Shipping to an unverified address w/o delivery confirmation).

What specifically about their user agreement has you spooked?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess their fees and the chargeback issue are what's fucked. I have loads of records to sell but it's because of this that I'm not selling anything on eBay at this point. I especially resent the fact that you're pressured into using Paypal. What's wrong with money orders? I don't even have a bank account so Paypal wouldn't work for me at all. For everybody who has a bank account, it would obviously be best to use personal checks or bank transfers.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I guess their fees and the chargeback issue are what's fucked. I have loads of records to sell but it's because of this that I'm not selling anything on eBay at this point. I especially resent the fact that you're pressured into using Paypal. What's wrong with money orders? I don't even have a bank account so Paypal wouldn't work for me at all. For everybody who has a bank account, it would obviously be best to use personal checks or bank transfers.

You all should look over the user agreement.

I have no problem with fees. Thats the cost of doing business.

Chargebacks are fine. I accept credit cards and have never had a chargeback problem.

I have heard horror stories here about their chargeback policies.

The problem with paypal is the user has no rights.
    Paypal has unlimited rights.
    Paypal can clear out your account, for any reason. Any at all.
    Just woke up and felt like clearing out your account.
    Yes they can.
    You have no recourse.
    That is what you agree to when you click that button.

Of course you could complain to the authorities.

Unfortunately there are no authorities who regulate paypal.
    There is no government agency with oversight.

It's kind of like Enron or Leahman Brothers.

Giving paypal access to your bank account is like investing with Bernie Madeoff.

I guess I'll do it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Checks are a pain, I haven't had a checkook for years, money orders are lame for international stuff, as is bank transfers. As a buyer, sellers who don't have paypal are few & far between & drive me nuts. As a seller I've been using paypal through my credit card & bank account since 99 & have never had an issue.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yeah, you're no longer legitimately allowed to accept checks or money orders. I think in order to list something now you have to either link to a paypal account or have your own credit card processing thing.

This is actually partly true. I found out they can't legally disallow you from accepting money orders or checks, but they don't list it as an option for payment on your auction and you have to get a paypal account. You can accept mo, they just don't list it as an option.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    They can only clear your paypal account right, not your bank/cc account?

I've sold over 5,000 LP's using Paypal and have never had a chargeback.

Grading accurately and having a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee will virtually eliminate that factor.

I never had to give Paypal any bank info and I don't believe having a bank account is a prerequisite.

For me personally, Ebay and Paypal fees are well worth the service and customer base they give me in exchange.

But hey, the less people that sell records on ebay is more business for the rest of us who do.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Just open a paypal account. Live dangerously--don't get left behind...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just open a paypal account. Live dangerously--don't get left behind...
    I might just take this piece of advice and do it... gotta clear out those Funk 45s somehow.

I'm gonna do it.

Wish me luck.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

I never had to give Paypal any bank info and I don't believe having a bank account is a prerequisite.

please to elaborate. i forget how i even set up my paypal acct years back, but i do have it tied to a small checking account. (maybe i added that later??) So what happens if you want to withdraw? w/o a bank acct to put it back into, how do you 'get' your $? or do you just spend it all on rekkids and such? (not a bad thing!)

please to elaborate. i forget how i even set up my paypal acct years back, but i do have it tied to a small checking account. (maybe i added that later??) So what happens if you want to withdraw? w/o a bank acct to put it back into, how do you 'get' your $? or do you just spend it all on rekkids and such? (not a bad thing!)

Paypal Debit Card

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Grading accurately and having a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee will virtually eliminate that factor.

I've read horror stories from people I know have that same guarantee and
    can grade as well as anyone. I mainly use PP as a buyer and barely sell on
    eBay, so I'm not really offering an experienced opinion, but from the experiences
    related by people on here & w.r.t.s. dot com, it sounds like you have been lucky
    despite your high standard of business practice (no sarcasm).

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I've read horror stories from people I know have that same guarantee and
    can grade as well as anyone. I mainly use PP as a buyer and barely sell on
    eBay, so I'm not really offering an experienced opinion, but from the experiences
    related by people on here & w.r.t.s. dot com, it sounds like you have been lucky
    despite your high standard of business practice (no sarcasm).

I've heard all the horror stories like everybody else, but my experience is pretty close to Rockadelic.
    Thousands of sales and only one chargeback. Maybe I've been lucky, I don't know. I feel like a 99.999%
    success rate is pretty sweet. Seems like many of the crazy Pay Pal stories (accounts frozen and or confiscated) are from years ago before Ebay bought them out.
    Don't worry DB you should be fine.

Honestly, you guys who are like "I've only had one chargeback in blah blah blah" have just been lucky. I had 3 last summer within the span of 2 months and I'm sure there's plenty of people in internet record land who can tell you I handle things as well as anyone out there.

Honestly, you guys who are like "I've only had one chargeback in blah blah blah" have just been lucky. I had 3 last summer within the span of 2 months and I'm sure there's plenty of people in internet record land who can tell you I handle things as well as anyone out there.

It's your salty disposition, it obviously attracts malcontents, deviants, and thieves.
    My irie vibes breed nothing but love, it's not luck it's JAH RASTAFARI!

• Yeah, you're no longer legitimately allowed to accept checks or money orders. I think in order to list something now you have to either link to a paypal account or have your own credit card processing thing.

This is actually partly true. I found out they can't legally disallow you from accepting money orders or checks, but they don't list it as an option for payment on your auction and you have to get a paypal account. You can accept mo, they just don't list it as an option.

If you mention it anywhere in the auction (cash, money order, check) they will remove one of the new listings as a threat to discourage it...not sure if they will pull 'em all but that is what they imply. I had to manually edit 100+ items one evening, what a joy.

"Inquire about other forms of payment."

This sounds vaguely erotic.

This sounds vaguely erotic.
    Best believe that things can be arranged...

• People are you naive? There's only one reason they only accept paypal: gain more money!

OK Ebay and paypal sometimes are pain in the ass, but finally you can run your business quiet easily...
    I remember how everybody here promised hell to sellers because of the new feedback system. The result: nothing has changed.

Also, I put paypal-only in item description, but finally customers can use any way of payment they want, they just ask at the end of auction. Or during it.

We also have to put 4$ as shipping, even if you pay higher than this? Just put the right shipping cost in the description. Nobody of the dozens customers I had since argued about it at the end of auction.

And as a regular seller, I never had big problems too with paypal. Only a few refunds here and there. One time PP even refund the guy without taking any money from me. Anyway my advice is: take the money off your PP account as soon as possible. Your bank account will always be safer than PP one.

And my final advice is (especially to the overseas shipping): put insurance and registration on all your "big" shipping, you'll never had problems with this.

And my very very final advice is: you don't like ebay and their rules? Move your ass and do your own selling platform!

• thanks for the news flash

• real heads wanted to know

• No problem guys.
    Ask me if you don't understand something.

thanks for the news flash

Sayin' though, I wished he'd taken the time to answer more of my burning questions.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    If you're worried about it, open a new bank account just for Paypal and keep the balance near zero.

Lowers your risk.

• I believe Paypal belongs to ebay, by forcing paypal upon users they have extra income on-top of the fees for setting up auctions. Not all foreign ebay-sites will force you to use paypal. Is that an option? It depends.

edit: ZEN2's suggestion is much better. With a bank account you will get verified status, no need for creditcard nor paypal (i think).

Thank you for the feedback. I'm gonna do it because I want to start ebaying some records.

For those who don't know I was selling records mail order before there was an ebay or paypal.

I accept credit cards.

I am not worried about my customers.

What I am worried about is an unregulated company controlling my money.

I'm not sure if any one answering understands what I am talking about.

Paypal is not a bank, and is not regulated as one.

Paypal is not a credit card company and they are not regulated as one.

They have a user agreement that you all signed (clicked) that says they can do any thing they want with your money for any reason good or bad and you have no recourse.

This has nothing to do with record grading.

Does Paypal have enough cash on hand to cover all the accounts they are holding? Nobody knows. If people started pulling all their money out of paypal accounts would they freeze everyone's account. You can bet on it.

Now who has Jump Jump Music Catalog #1 V 1 with the $15.00 Dee Felice Trio?