PUTS appreciation thread.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Who can dig it?Definitely original steez and always among my most freqently visited hip hop platters.

Comments

• I think there's gonna be a fight...

SONIC

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Ay?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    noooooooooooooooooooooo

In all honesty. I can get down with a track or 2 but overall?

Blah.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    noooooooooooooooooooooo

In all honesty. I can get down with a track or 2 but overall.

Blah.

cosign.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    yesssssssssssssssssssss

I celebrate their entire catalog.

A real mix of consistently fly hooks, beats and lyrical talent spread over the complete discography.

Some of my fave cuts:

THE DIG.
    [/b]

Mid-City Fiesta
    The Next Step II
    San Francisco Knights
    July 3rd
    Blowin Wax
    Get Ready

• Ay?

I'm not starting it, and maybe it's too early in the morning here in the states for it to jump off, but there always seems to be a fight on this board whenever PUTS is mentioned.

I got no problem with them as a group or Thes, in fact I have an abnormally large number of PUTS records that I enjoy and which have escaped many, many cuts in my hip hop collection.

Just trying to be cute and use my "beef ESP" with the warning.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If you can't feel a Thes One beat, that's your own problem.

"Thes One put the arthritis in your tone arm"

A lot of the beats are just simple drum loops. Those dudes are....well i wont speak on that. But lets just say their "diggin ethics" are some of those most ridiculous shits ive heard.

Simple drum loops. NOt bad, but nothing to write home about.

A lot of the beats are just simple drum loops. Those dudes are....well i wont speak on that. But lets just say their "diggin ethics" are some of those most ridiculous shits ive heard.

Right man. Sure your shit's the hottness.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    are they two producers or just one? in any case, they are most likely both tonedef. alot of dissonance can get annoying even in hiphop. but some of the beats are nice anyways! are there any new material out? or any upcoming projects?

Right man. Sure your shit's the hottness.

oh god man. NOt one of those guys. So,let me get this straight.

Since I do not produce, I cannot have an opinion about the group that you dickride?

So, since i make NO music, I can never express an opinion on any music?

SInce i do not make films I can not express an opinion on any movies?

since i do not write novels I can not express or have opinions on books?

I am a technical administrator for a group of surgeons. So, the only thing I am qualified to form opinions on are other Technical administrators job performances.

Thank you. I was lookin pretty dumb there.

I like how you cant counter what I said other than that shallow response.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    wow...

P to the U got grooves for days

doc you got some suspect taste

id be curious to know what isnt "blah" to you

are they two producers or just one? in any case, they are most likely both tonedef. alot of dissonance can get annoying even in hiphop. but some of the beats are nice anyways! are there any new material out? or any upcoming projects?

Basically just Thes one is the producer. Double K does some as well. Yes soem of the beats are nice.

check out www.tresrecords.com . that is their new label or soon to be new label. Thes runs it and produces a lot of the groups on there. PUTS has an album coming out soon called "Stepfather"

But MCdoom..like your shits is any better.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts

Their beats are actually far more complex than you make them out to be. Often, fine auditory nuances are lost on the untrained/unrefined ear.

Their beats are actually far more complex than you make them out to be. Often fine auditory nuances are lost on the untrained/unrefined ear.

Definitely.

I've come across some of the originals now and again and realized how creative PUTS went with them.

Their beats are actually far more complex than you make them out to be. Often, fine auditory nuances are lost on the untrained/unrefined ear.

I know what you are saying. But, what I mean is that they dont do anything TOO GREAT with that. It isnt anything where you go "OH SHIT LISTEN TO HOW THEY FLIPPED THAT BREAK! OH MY GOD" its more like "Oh yeah, i see what they did there"

But what they did do there, they do well.

Plus the content of their digs constantly stand out from the crowd. I think they come a little more unique than most in terms of their choice of styles and samples.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    liked some of their early stuff. more recent stuff I've heard seemed a bit dull, may have heard wrong stuff.
    Spent an evening with them once. they were nice.

Spent an evening with them once.

Barely, but......

AY YO!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    wow...

Haha... damn doc. You got called out for having "suspect taste."

Anyway, I tried to like these guys but yes they are boring and bland.

wow...

hahah damn. I missed that one. That shit is great.

But yo AI, Looks like you got some suspect taste as well then!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    wow...

hahah damn. I missed that one. That shit is great.

But yo AI, Looks like you got some suspect taste as well then!

In this case my taste is GUILTY AS SIN.

Hip-hop is dead.

[color:white]EXCEPT FOR THE YING YANG TWINS[/color]

wow...

So let me address it. It would be rather futile to list what is not blah to me. A lot of things. Do you want my none blah list of all time, my current top 5 non blah singles? current top 5 no blah albums?

Come on man. Just cuase i express an opinion doesnt mean i have to start listing shit to back it up. I didnt ask anyone to defend their like of the PUTS.

Hip Hop post Scroll down for my post. It will show a few things im feelin right now. Nothing to exciting. just a few things.

Non-Blah? DIPSET!

Hip-hop is dead.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

[color:white]EXCEPT FOR THE YING YANG TWINS[/color]

[color:white]EXCEPT FOR THE YING YANG TWINS (some of the time)[/color]

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    (you guys know I had to chime in)

I like 'em. OST was probally one of my fav. albums in the past few years. When I listen to one of thur records or check out a new release I know what exactly what I'm going to get (no club bangers , next level production or some off-kilter blip-hop mess) just real straight forward cali rap music. I can understand though why some people think they can be bland or repetive, they aren't the most amazing rappers and they aren't really rapping on a wide range of topics, but that's pretty much ALL of rap music.

Doc Bizzle:

You wheren't feeling the production Thes did for your boys? That "kick clap" beat was ridiculous.

(you guys know I had to chime in)

Doc Bizzle:

You wheren't feeling the production Thes did for your boys? That "kick clap" beat was ridiculous.

Yeah man that was a banger. They do have their bangers.

"Hang Loose"
    "5-Day trippin"
    A few off of Question in the form of an answer.

But,like you said, gets boring and repetitive.

Hip Hop is dead.

But who are the 5 Deez? MF Doom? Count Bass D? What's a Fat Jon beat?, and what's an ample soul physician anyways? J Rawls?, nah never heard of him. Gift of Gab, nah that dude can't flo. And let's be as honest as a hater can get, this Madlib dude just sucks, in fact everything Stones Throw related is mad suspect. I mean, shit, who's this old timer Pete Rock? When's this guy going to give it up, when he's collecting social security? Molemen? Is that a cartoon? Daedelus? That's straight looped! Wu Tang Clan? Sorry, I don't like Chinese food. J Live? Yea, right. Monster Island Czars? Rjd2? Come again?