Val Shively's Record Store

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
What are some of the best 7's you have found at Val Shively's store? Were the prices fair?

Comments

• varying prices.
    best was purple snow-down by the river for $20
    or a stack of esther williams last night changed it all for $10 a pop
    i never went too crazy there, but its cool

• purple snow-down by the river for $20

yes plaese.

• What are some of the best 7's you have found at Val Shively's store? Were the prices fair?

My first serious batch of NOLA funk 45s were from a single trip to Shively's. His prices aren't cheap, but I would describe them as fair i.e. the dude's not an idiot, but he's not charging e-bay rates either.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Not sure I've ever gotten anything insanely rare from him, but I guess my fave find there was "Lover and A Friend" for either 20 or 25. I think everyone in my 4 person group got one that day.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I desperately want to go to this store.

• There's a youtube video of shively's with these hilarious comments from timmy:

VinylRecords60 (1 year ago) Show Hide
    where are these records?
    i would pay money just to get into this place to look at them! i'm a young collecter and I am obessed with soul music!

VinylRecords60 (1 year ago) Show Hide
    wow, what a collection!
    i love r&b (especially obscure 60's soul)
    and northern soul!
    I wanna meet this guy!

• Not sure I've ever gotten anything insanely rare from him, but I guess my fave find there was "Lover and A Friend" for either 20 or 25. I think everyone in my 4 person group got one that day.

Yup we all got 'em mint for $20/ea., though H*im was kind enough to donate his to DigDug's cause.

I also got a "Pass The Hatchet" for the same price in that same trip.

• Not sure I've ever gotten anything insanely rare from him, but I guess my fave find there was "Lover and A Friend" for either 20 or 25. I think everyone in my 4 person group got one that day.

Yup we all got 'em mint for $20/ea., though H*im was kind enough to donate his to DigDug's cause.

I also got a "Pass The Hatchet" for the same price in that same trip.

I do believe my 'Pass the Hatchet' (a mint up) came from that same trip (via Haim)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Not sure I've ever gotten anything insanely rare from him, but I guess my fave find there was "Lover and A Friend" for either 20 or 25. I think everyone in my 4 person group got one that day.

Probably one of my favorite singles, and I've never owned a copy

• one summer home from school when i interned at oldies 98 i used to go up city line ave many days at lunch and see Val and get stuff. He and my dad and grandfather were friends so he would always be pretty chatty but i have seen him be rather harsh to some people. selection has dipped as years passed but he knows everything. everything.
    best score would have to be larry mcgee, the burg for 5 bucks yay.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i have seen him be rather harsh to some people.

I don't think I've ever seen an article on Val Shively that didn't quote him cussing like a sailor. He uses the word "shit" like most people use the word "and."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I do believe my 'Pass the Hatchet' (a mint up) came from that same trip (via Haim)

Now there's a record that was a big hit in NOLA that still commands $45+ VG prices I don't understand it. I still need a copy of this.