WALLET GLUED SHUT

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
YEAH I'M TALKING ABOUT TIGHT-FISTED BASTARDS!Who has one in their life?I knew this dude called Stuart who plays bass in a dub band and he was known for being super stingy. One time I got in an argument about money and he threatened to "cut" me. I didn't know if he meant with a knife or that I was going to be socially ostracized. This other guy, family friend, was known to "forget his wallet" every time he went to the local pub, years later he poisoned his wife for the inheritance.I say these people need to be called out!Ordering a martini when you just bought a round of Rhinegold is almost as bad.Also, girls who never buy weed but are always stoned... Nice, must try that sometime

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i knew a kid who would ALWAYS either forget his wallet. have to go to the ATM and will "pay you back" or threw you $5 for gas!!

only problem is now the kid is like 30 yrs old and gas was $4 a gallon last summer!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm cheap enough to hate when people I'm with start buying alcohol by rounds, knowing that my turn will soon pop up. But I'm cool enough to reciprocate and not make an issue of it. But yeah, I hate that shit...can't you just buy your own drinks and let me buy my own?

Oh yeah, how bout the people who always want to split a food bill halfway when they're the one who ordered those appetizers you didn't even want?

I think I'm doing this thread backwards, but oh well.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Oh yeah, how bout the people who always want to split a food bill halfway when they're the one who ordered those appetizers you didn't even want?

You sound vegetarian.

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts

Stay away from Japan then...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

You sound vegetarian.

how bout the ones who dissect the bill and say "i ordered this and thats it so here is my dollar and i had a water"

cheap bastards

you still have to tip. and remember there is tax

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I've had cheap roommate for the last couple years. Nice enough guy, pays bills on time and keeps his shit clean but I learned real quick not to split anything with dude. First off, he eats way more than I do but thinks it's legit to eat 3/4 of stuff we went 50/50 on. Also, if he owes me money for something he'll get it down to the change. Who does that? And when I used to buy booze for him before he got legal he'd give me $15 for a $14.95 12er and ask for the nickel back. All this caused a bit of drama until I got smart and stopped f*cking with finances with dude. We're good now though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Oh shit, I just remembered Billy, famous for always leaving a group meal early and giving $20 to the person next to him to throw in. BASTARD!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I've had cheap roommate for the last couple years. Nice enough guy, pays bills on time and keeps his shit clean but I learned real quick not to split anything with dude. First off, he eats way more than I do but thinks it's legit to eat 3/4 of stuff we went 50/50 on.

I had a roommate like that about ten years ago. I finally gave up and starting buying groceries for just myself. He ate those anyway, saying he'd replace them as soon as he went to the store. In the six months or so we shared an apartment, he never once went to the store on his own. I had to resort to hiding cereal boxes and shit in my dresser drawers. For the first few days I think he lived off of dry ramen packets. This dude worked at the same place I did and made the same amount of money! He wasn't on drugs, so I have no idea what he did with it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I used to be like that but have learned to let it go; it's not worth the aggravation. I just make sure to order extra shit to and even it out.

That said, if I'm only hanging out with a small handful of people, and I'm not drinking but they are, I'd balk at footing their alcohol bill (since I don't drink).

• A good friend of mine lived with a mutual friend who was literally the cheapest person I have ever met.

The worst was he would keep the thermostat at like 50 degrees in the middle of a Boston winter. So his roommates would use electric heaters, as they would so as not to freeze to death. Then when the electric bill arrived, el cheapo would use a formula to deduct $$$ (including tax) from his share of the electric bill, because other people were using heaters to heat "their" space. Other parts of living together were a similar turf war.

I had another roommate in college. There were 6 of us... we had two bathrooms, and one was just for him and this other guy nobody wanted to deal with. He would forget to buy toilet paper regularly, and pretty much go weeks without any. So he would have a stack of napkins from burger king, which would stop up the toilet. Then he would blame the toilet for overflowing. Oh, and he wouldn't clean that up either, as they generally never cleaned the bathroom ever. They had their own bathroom pretty much for this reason. Needless to say I was brokenhearted when I moved out of that place.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i refuse to eat out with certain "friends" because without fail in the past, every bill we would have would come out short due to them either "forgetting" items they ordered or not tipping enough. F*ck that shit.

• Damn, there were a few times when a bunch of friends (10 or more) would go out to eat and as the bill came around so cats could add their meals to the tab- this cat would always be the last one and I wondered why...

...it turns out he would see how much everyone had put in and instead of putting his (fair) share, he would just put whatever was left on the bill.

Now that's fcukin' cheap! And fraudulent...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Eating with a big group is fun, but parsing out the bill f*cking sucks, even if no one in your group is being a dick about it.

I had to manage that whole part of it for my wife's birthday dinner last year (12 people, a bunch showing up late, only half the people ate, etc) and it was one of the most stressful things I've had to do in a while.

• I f*cking HATE cheapskates. I don't mind carrying a little more of the bill if I know someone's having a hard time/has limited resources, I carried my younger brother like this for years.

ALWAYS throw a little extra into the kitty at a group dinner. It's just good manners. Use the excess for a nice tip (if warranted), if not redistribute as necessary.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    holy shit this just reminded me of my girlfriend's birthday last year where we had yakiniku with about 30 people. i didn't know half the people there so i told her to make god damn sure that they all gave money. of course they didnt and i think we came up like 200 bucks short and i was f*cking furious. muthafuckas dropping 20 bucks when the food was 20 and they drank like 10 beers

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I feel obligated to call out Pickwick in this thread... but I won't.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I feel obligated to call out Pickwick in this thread... but I won't.

Uh, I think you just did.

• I used to be like that but have learned to let it go; it's not worth the aggravation. I just make sure to order extra shit to and even it out.

That said, if I'm only hanging out with a small handful of people, and I'm not drinking but they are, I'd balk at footing their alcohol bill (since I don't drink).

I'm the same. I don't drink. I'd have a drink on occasion, but I am usually the driver and prefer to just stay level headed if I'm the driver. My wife's friends always order lots of drinks and the bill always gets split evenly. I don't really mind much because if I like the food I will basically eat about twice as much as them.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I agree that if one person is not drinking they should not have to foot the bill for a group who are. I can't stand cheapskates though , such a poor trait to have....type of shit people always remember too.

Make sure you give just a bit more than enough , it is common courtesy. Also don't go to baller ass restaurants if you're broke and then act surprised at the bill.. that is another tip for cheapos/non money havers.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I used to get all stressed over people I was dining with who left shitty tips and now I just keep my mouth shut and pad it til it's right.

• what bout when you get the rep of being cheap, but somehow youre the one who always drops $40 to settle the group bill when others bounced 5 minutes early and left $20. mr.sucker.

i got caught out there at a wedding bachelor party. my boys meat head high school friends were getting all kinds of steak and shit. i, the ass out vegetarian, and a friend, ended up getting some weaksauce steakhouse veggie option (basically a baked potato). when fratboy bitches tried splitting the bill evenly, i put the gauntlett down and said hell no. the fucked up shit was that i actually forgot my wallet. other potato boy sported me, so it was cool...but the shit got super weaksauce when we had to go to the stripclub and i had no wallet. embarassing. i swear i woulda spent money on bachelor boy getting his lapdance on

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    ALWAYS throw a little extra into the kitty at a group dinner. It's just good manners. Use the excess for a nice tip (if warranted), if not redistribute as necessary.

Every year at ARC we go out to dinner on Friday & Saturday night in a party of 15-20 people.....lots of drinking.....lots of food......lots of Strutters.

When it comes time to pay the bill every single person throws in more than their share, voluntarily.

We never redistribute...it all goes to the waitperson.

Last Fall the tip was almost as large as the bill on both nights.

You best believe those folks look forward to us coming back every six months and we get the royal treatment.

On a similar note...when you go to a bar and expect to spend $50+ for the night leave a ridiculous tip when you buy your first drink and make sure the bartender knows it....in the long run you'll come out ahead.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I always give extra money at the table. I always leave at least 20% tip. And yes, if there is still extra, I let the waiter/waitress live and get that $.

I do have to ask you guys though, is this cheap?

Strip club bathroom attendants:

I know you are broke as F*ck if this is your job, so you might get a couple of pity bucks, but I really don't need any help in there. I would rather help myself, and grab my own paper towel. The majority of the time, I hate you, and sometimes shit just gets awkward.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i dont understand this "split the bill evenly" stuff. nobody in my group of friends has ever even brought that up. how hard is it to look at a ticket and see what you had?

/confused

• The worst was he would keep the thermostat at like 50 degrees in the middle of a Boston winter. So his roommates would use electric heaters, as they would so as not to freeze to death. Then when the electric bill arrived, el cheapo would use a formula to deduct $$$ (including tax) from his share of the electric bill, because other people were using heaters to heat "their" space. Other parts of living together were a similar turf war.

holy shit that's excessive.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i dont understand this "split the bill evenly" stuff. nobody in my group of friends has ever even brought that up. how hard is it to look at a ticket and see what you had?

/confused

I pass on group dinners now.

There's always a freeloader or 2 that has champagne tastes w/ 40oz orders.

"Bitch, what the F*ck u ordered that for, u never eat that shit on your own!"

F*ck that. Worfless bitches ordering 70 dollars worth of food and trying to lay down 35 eagles. Hell no. Talmbout my times is hard.

Im not eatin' w/ fake ballers.

All of a sudden you taste in wine is in the 50+ range. GTFOHWTB.

• I pass on group dinners now.

I had those problems with one member of a particular group of friends I sometimes ate with. This guy always ordered the chef's specials, suggested (pricey) bottles of wine for the table, or got himself Belgian Quadruppels. He always wanted to sample a couple drams of 30-year scotch after dinner, and then ended up throwing in a fraction of what he owed at the end of the meal. I fixed it once night. All you need to do is step to the restroom after you place your beverage order. Find your waiter/waitress, request separate bills for your party, and give them something for their trouble right off the bat.

At the end of that meal, this cat was suck with a large bill, and a real pale face. He asked to borrow money from some folks, got denied, and eventually he pulled out the credit card.

• I would always go out to dinner with this group of people... three couples and this one dude who was having hard times and we would always compensate cause when it was time to go out to dinner it was... "you guys go I'll stay here" like a little dear in headlights... I don't have to tell you what happened next.....

"Ahhhhhhh nooooooooo we'll take care of you..." WE'LL?!!! ok... I don't want to pay for you dude....

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

After an enjoyable meal and sparkling conversation, the last thing I want to deal with is a bunch of bottom line accounting dealing with who had what and what did it cost to two significant figures after the decimal point. Generally speaking, people I've been with have had the good manners to not order outrageously over order above what others are getting, or if they have, have offered to kick in a little extra commensurate with their exuberance.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i live in a college town and pretty much every restaurant accommodates separate checks, is this not common elsewhere? you'd rather deal with freeloading douchebags than take a few minutes to figure out who ate what dollar_bin?