John Howard Abdnor Involvement LP on Abnak?

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Is this any good? Raer? The cover looks promising.

Comments

• No

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    No good at all? Damn. I was hoping that it's a forgotten gem...

• It's not completely awful, but it's a huge letdown from the cover, name and label combo.

I suppose there's some funky rock in the offing, but nothing to write home about.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

John Howard can eed a deeck.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    OK, I did some googling.

Apparently this dude was sent into mental institute at some point after this LP came out. When he was released, he started dating his nurse - and ended up murdering her. Rough.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    OK, I did some googling.

Apparently this dude was sent into mental institute at some point after this LP came out. When he was released, he started dating his nurse - and ended up murdering her. Rough.

Even scarier - he was, evidently, the label owner's son.

If you're interested in taking it further back, he was one-half of Jon & Robin, who had one sunshine-pop hit in '67 ("Do It Again Just A Little Bit Slower").

• damn. poor nurse. isnt that every guys fantasy too? date your nurse (not the killing part)

i remembered this shit being good. diplo played it for me way back, but hanging with him does affect ones grip on reality. i relistened at good records and recognized the turdiness

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It has a break.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I priced a copy yesterday.

Haven't listened yet. I am listening to Dock Boggs Sugar Blues now. Talk about deep soul. I need to listen to that deep soul thread and about a hundred other records I have priced in the last few days. Then I will listen to JHA.

I was disappointed to discover it is neither rare of sought after, much. I don't know much about rock.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    damn. poor nurse. isnt that every guys fantasy too? date your nurse (not the killing part)

I don't know about MY nurse, but I would date A nurse. A nurse that's attended to me has seen me in all kinds of weird states. Knows all my medical shit. Nah.

I'd date a nurse only if she wears her uniform all the time. And by uniform, I mean short white skirt, white stockings and four-inch red heels.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    John has that thick mayonnaise caught in the throat voice, like the blood sweat and tears dude. "how can you teach a turtle to fly" is pretty hilarious due to its absurd lyrics and over-earnest-ness. IMO a cheap cousin to more sought after acid archives items in the "what were they thinking?" category.

i didnt know he was half of jon and robin! *rearranges records to reflect 411*

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jon & Robin have a couple decent tracks. "Love Me Baby" is pretty sweet.

And the covers to both J&R records are way better than the JHI cover which
    is kinda trippy but has some ugly mugs going on. Five Americans "Progressions"
    is a good LP on that label.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i have "elastic event" but cant seem to find "Soul of a Boy and Girl".

agreed, the five americans on abnak is good stuff (though i can only speak for the western union album, havent found the other 2, nor the one on HBR)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The HBR one is really good, pretty much a straight-up garage record.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Western Union is, to me, the Five Americans' worst elpee due to the weak cover versions. But you can't go wrong with Progressions or (especially) the HBR elpee. Never heard the two-record set on Abnak.

• I used it on my trip beyond mix, it's the 'got to have relaxation' bit at the intro, and is played at the very end of the mix.......