Invisalign.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Any of you gone this route? I'm thinking of doing it but I'm having second thoughts. I need me some braces 'cause my bottom teeth are kinda jacked. All crowded and shit.I've read really good reviews online but there's a few folks who say it was waste of money mostly because their dentist/ortho didn't really know what they needed. It seems like my dentist is just trying to make a sale so I don't know if I can trust her to know what I need.

Comments

• chill with the face lift plans, princess.
    girls like your teeth just the way they are. as long as you can bite them, you dont need no braces.

whats invisilign? i was hoping it would be some kind of cloaking device.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yeah, I know. I'm not doing it to impress females though! My bottom teeth have always bugged me. I opted against braces during junior high 'cause I thought it would ruin my chances with the young ladies. Then I got NO ass in junior high and only humped once in high school - to the debut of Grand Puba's "360 (What Goes Around)" video. (Swear to God, I was such a Hip Hop fiend even then that I tried to get her to wait 'til the video was over!)

Anyways, now I'm thinking of doing it myself. Trying to change my lackadaisical professional 'crastinating ways this year!

• keep em. i always think crooked teeth are cute. and busted elbows too.

• Yeah, I know. I'm not doing it to impress females though! My bottom teeth have always bugged me. I opted against braces during junior high 'cause I thought it would ruin my chances with the young ladies. Then I got NO ass in junior high and only humped once in high school - to the debut of Grand Puba's "360 (What Goes Around)" video. (Swear to God, I was such a Hip Hop fiend even then that I tried to get her to wait 'til the video was over!)

Anyways, now I'm thinking of doing it myself. Trying to change my lackadaisical ways this year!

in that case.....

floss that hommie

and at the no-ass in school irony. i got it out the way early! and got no ass while i had em

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Olivia Munn wears them on "Attack Of The Show", if you want to take that as a sign.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    My sister in law had invisalign. Totally straightened out her teeth and eliminated the gap between her front teeth. The key is being diligent and wearing the invisalign brace all the time. You get a new brace each week or so in the mail so if you dont wear it continuously it screws up the process.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I had braces (and rubber bands) for 15 months when I was about 15 years old (2003). All the kids have them nowadays, so it was no big deal.

Usually people have braces for a couple of years because 1) it takes a long time and 2) orthodontists need to make some bank. It was expensive for my parents, no doubt, especially with two kids, but my mom had ortho insurance from her work. My orthodontist was great and I'm very happy with my smile, which looks like this:

(me on the left, my friend on the right also had braces)

Here's the catch:[/b] crooked teeth were designed by nature to be crooked,and have an "elastic memory," meaning that for many people, teeth will get crooked again after orthodontic treatment ends. In order to prevent this, you wear some type of retainer at night. Some people are lucky and their teeth remain straight, but my teeth seem to move easily, and I can feel the difference if I go without my retainer a couple of nights.

My lower teeth have a fixed retainer like this:

and on my upper teeth I wear an Invisalign type retainer like this (at night):

Every orthodontist has their own methods. Ask your friends for references. I say go for it.

PS Get Invisalign and not braces. You are too old and too cool for all that metal, though it might not be noticeable on just the bottom teeth.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    My sister in law had invisalign. Totally straightened out her teeth and eliminated the gap between her front teeth. The key is being diligent and wearing the invisalign brace all the time. You get a new brace each week or so in the mail so if you dont wear it continuously it screws up the process.

If I had a bit more money to play with, I wouldn't mind getting some. I had braces when I was 13, wore the rubberbands as well, and I was supposed to wear my retainer, which I did but not continuously. To be honest, I'm alright with my teeth but again if I had more money to play with, I would consider getting one.

You are too old and too cool

Old, yes. Cool, far from it. I'm mostly cool-headed though!

Thanks for the input everybody! One of the reasons I'm nervous is 'cause my dentist was so quick on the draw when I mentioned I was interested. She was like "let's get your mold today!" She even offered to throw in a free teeth whitening session ($400 value).

Now it'll only cost me $2400 out of pocket AND the office will finance it interest-and-credit-check-free up to 8 months. (I can pay it in full if I wanted.) I'm just worried that I'll get into something that'll end up costing me a whole lot more down the line, you know?

P.S. Almond, you have a beautiful smile. (I'm not married though so I guess that's kinds creepy.)

• Herm do you have a pic of these bottom chompers? i have a gap in my teeth and women have always commented that they dig it. but my family couldn't afford braces and i don't think i'd want to correct it now.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

i thought this was a picture of patrick at first... just less gay looking.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

i thought this was a picture of patrick at first... just less gay looking.

so did I

You are too old and too cool

Old, yes. Cool, far from it. I'm mostly cool-headed though!

Thanks for the input everybody! One of the reasons I'm nervous is 'cause my dentist was so quick on the draw when I mentioned I was interested. She was like "let's get your mold today!" She even offered to throw in a free teeth whitening session ($400 value).

Now it'll only cost me $2400 out of pocket AND the office will finance it interest-and-credit-check-free up to 8 months. (I can pay it in full if I wanted.) I'm just worried that I'll get into something that'll end up costing me a whole lot more down the line, you know?

P.S. Almond, you have a beautiful smile. (I'm not married though so I guess that's kinds creepy.)

What would end up costing more down the line? If you feel like your dentist is worried more about raking in the money than your teeth, then ask your friends if they would recommend their orthodontists. In my experience, ortho and dentistry are different professions, and are not usually covered in the same office. Ask your friends who have kids who they are sending their kids to. Orthodontia is craft that requires precision and some people are not as good with their hands. Also, shop around for orthodontists! First impressions say a lot, like are they willing to spend time to talk to you, how concerned are they about money, does the place look clean, etc. Don't just go for the best deal or the first person you meet. For braces, I had ortho visits every month, so don't pick a place that's too far to drive to.

I'm glad I was raised by such good parents. They put so much time and energy into me...even just for my teeth!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Didn't Phill have a thread about his experience with this a month or so ago?

Didn't Phill have a thread about his experience with this a month or so ago?

You are correct, sir!