LA HEADS - Mulatu Get-Together this Sunday

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I just bought my tix for the Mulatu concert this Sunday and I'm down to provide a pre-show Strutteur get-together before the event, namely THE MYSTERIOUS TAURINO BEER and EXTRA SPICY HOMEMADE INDIAN VEGAN FOOD at my place in Echo Park. 4pm-6pm seems like a good time and I can accommodate about 10-15 people if you don't mind standing. Folks who bring alchohol or vegan goodies get priority.You down? PM ME DAWGS

Comments

• WTF? Why do always have your get togethers whenever I leave town? : (

• WTF? Why do always have your get togethers whenever I leave town? : (

Even funnier - I just texted your old cell number and got a confirmed RSVP! They said they didn't know me, they got your old number 9 months ago, and were responding to my text blind.

But they said they "do great food and wine" and want to come!

or

?

In any case L*ly, PM me your digits if you want to get future texts

• this should be dope. next one is arthur verocai with a 30-piece orchestra.

• hahaha, so curious who has my old number....but why do they have a 917 number and live in LA? Very suspect for someone who just got a 917 area code nine months ago...
    I'm PMin you Soul Town...

• I've got a few RSVPs and a couple of maybes, but I know there's more of you that wanna party so holler. I've got turntables too, so don't sleep on free food, good times and great oldies.

PS I planning on running a beta test of runapp:yuichibot and he might bring snacks

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I've got a few RSVPs and a couple of maybes, but I know there's more of you that wanna party so holler. I've got turntables too, so don't sleep on free food, good times and great oldies.

I'll be there for the pre-Axelrod bash

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'll be there for the pre-Verocai bash

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I really wish I had money to come to this one, but I went to the Sharon jones show last week.

I'll try to be there for the pre-Verocai bash

- spidey

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

same here

• Hmmm... looks like I better have some recipes ready for the next two meetups. Maybe I can convince my gf to make some authentic Oaxacan food for the Verocai, and I'll whip up some Thai curry and tom yum soup for the Axelrod.

As for this Sunday, looks like about 10 people are coming/might show up so far. Last chance to get in on it ya'll - PM me so I can cook enough for everybody.

• My wife & are down, if there's room!

• Hmmm... looks like I better have some recipes ready for the next two meetups. Maybe I can convince my gf to make some authentic Oaxacan food for the Verocai, and I'll whip up some Thai curry and tom yum soup for the Axelrod.

As for this Sunday, looks like about 10 people are coming/might show up so far. Last chance to get in on it ya'll - PM me so I can cook enough for everybody.

recipe for tom yum if you plaese. i've been lookin for a good one!

• where do we cop tickets to this show? went to ticketmaster and no dice.....

thnx in advnc

• Okay wife is making vegan mint chocolate chip grasshopper cake from the Grit cookbook. Save room!!

• I wish I could make it but I have work until 9. If I can sneak out early I'll definitely swing by with some fresh garlic naan and some form of vegetarian curry. Probably some brews too... if not this one the next one.

Either way... I hope to catch up with some of you guys in the near future anyway.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    how was this?

i wanna know

• how was this?

i wanna know

A good time! We talked soulstrut slang, chatted about the benefits of a pricey funk LP based around a delivering mail, I got schooled on authentic oaxacan food, and all got stuffed on Marco's cooking. I don't think anybody took pics tho - damn, and I had my camera in my pocket the whole time.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    shit

i meant the show.

good to hear the meetup went down

recipe for tom yum if you plaese. i've been lookin for a good one!
    recipe for me too plaese

• shit

i meant the show.

good to hear the meetup went down

Oh. Well here's a synopsis I posted on another board...

Show was pretty good once the band got going. Sound wasn't the best... horns sounded thin throughout the first half. Maupin needs to chill on the kenny-G-esque soprano sax solos, and Ranelin looked tired. Azar Lawrence was tight. I met Miguel (violist) a few weeks ago at a party... I thought the string addition added something to the mix... might have been nice to have a cello as well. The band was actually a little better when they were doing newer compositions rather than the Mulatu hits. Cut didn't do much for me, but as far as hip-hop DJs go it was alright. A friend (not daniel) called it "innovative"... don't know if I'd go that far... but it was more fun than watching Quantic play rare ethiopian 45s. They sounded interesting, but did not work as well in the live environment as his more upbeat mixes.

• sounds like if it wasnt for the novelty of being in the presence of the legendary names involved, twas quite

not hating. i have a phobia of going to live performances of people with no track record. i always end up being disapointed. i even went to see gil scot heron and he did two shows. at my show, he just spoke the whole time. the other set got a 15 minute version of the bottle and a barn storming array of other classics. boooooooo

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i even went to see gil scot heron and he did two shows. at my show, he just spoke the whole time. the other set got a 15 minute version of the bottle and a barn storming array of other classics. boooooooo

Was this the show about a year ago @ Wold Cafe?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

same here

This still going down?

I'm coming to town.

- diego

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

same here

This still going down?

I'm coming to town.

- diego