How Inappropriate is Too Inappropriate (Wedding-R)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
A couple of my friends are getting married in a few months, and they've asked me to DJ. I've never done a wedding before, but they like the stuff I normally spin, which is hip hop, soul, and rock. They really want the dance portion to jump off, so the question is, how much swearing, n-bombs, etc. is acceptable in that context? Do I need to find clean versions of everything? I still dinosaur it with vinyl, so keep that in mind.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My friend's Catholic wedding they were humpin on the floor to Shorty Got Low, so I'd say don't worry too much.

• u betta have your smooth shit on hand.

Daddy doesnt want to hear Efil4zaggin during the cocktail hour

• Once the dancefloor pops off then it's kind of like the drinks themselves - everyone just pretends the next day that they didn't see their aunt freaking to Flo-Rida.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    It kinda depends on the timing. If dancefloor time is later and a lot of the older folks and kids have gone home, then you can just kick it clurb style.

Maybe have clean versions of the really big songs that might need to get played earlier when grandpa and the 8 year old grandchildren are dancing together?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    u betta have your smooth shit on hand.

Daddy doesnt want to hear Efil4zaggin during the cocktail hour

Nah, they have a jazz band lined up for cocktails, and I'll be doing latin/jazz/Euro-sophisticate midtempo shit for dinner a la Beatfanatic. I'm more interested in whether the line occurs before or after the Meterhead remix of Drunk As F*ck.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    A couple of my friends are getting married in a few months, and they've asked me to DJ. I've never done a wedding before, but they like the stuff I normally spin, which is hip hop, soul, and rock. They really want the dance portion to jump off, so the question is, how much swearing, n-bombs, etc. is acceptable in that context? Do I need to find clean versions of everything? I still dinosaur it with vinyl, so keep that in mind.

I don't care what your engaged friends like from your selection, you still need to bring a grip of wedding music for family time. Trust me on this one. If not, you will be the center of some family controversy. You can play your dirty clurb stuff a little later when people are way crunked up and don't even know what they are hearing.

a grip of wedding music for family time..

Yeah, I had a feeling I'd end up having to cop a bunch of records that I will never use beyond that one time.

Alright, what's the really on this? Hip me to some family time sure shots. It has already been determined that there will be no chicken dance-type bullshit.

• Electric Slide like what!!!

Keep it chill for the first portion with sweet soul, sinatra-esque stuff, then step it up to dirty freak nasty once everyone gets drunk. Nobody will care about the occasional foul language as long as your not playing "welcome to the F*ck shop"

Electric Slide like what!!!

Hah! OH HELLS NO.

Keep it chill for the first portion with sweet soul, sinatra-esque stuff, then step it up to dirty freak nasty once everyone gets drunk. Nobody will care about the occasional foul language as long as your not playing "welcome to the F*ck shop"

I can handle sweet soul no problem. I guess I'll need to step up my "Summer Wind" game.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Alright, what's the really on this? Hip me to some family time sure shots. It has already been determined that there will be no chicken dance-type bullshit.

70's dance/disco classics. Hopefully you wouldn't have to get as corny as "YMCA" or "Celebration," but stuff like like "Get Down Tonight," "Ladies Night," and "Brick House" have always jumped off for me.

For gigs like this I would bring turntables but also at least one CD player and a couple CD's of "Ultimate Disco" type comps with dudes with bad afro wigs and platforms on the cover.

And the obvious 80's stuff like Rick James (inappropriate?) and MJ. The rock/pop stuff is more of a grey area, although I have learned the hard way that "Come On Eileen" will bring white people to their knees.

• Electric Slide like what!!!

Hah! OH HELLS NO.

Haha. It is almost guaranteed that this will be requested, I would load it up on the ipod and bring it just to be prepared. I always keep a healthly supply of the We Are Family, I Will Survive type of disco. Also, some classic rock.

70's dance/disco classics. Hopefully you wouldn't have to get as corny as "YMCA" or "Celebration," but stuff like like "Get Down Tonight," "Ladies Night," and "Brick House" have always jumped off for me.

The thought of having to play these makes me sad.

And the obvious 80's stuff like Rick James (inappropriate?) and MJ. The rock/pop stuff is more of a grey area, although I have learned the hard way that "Come On Eileen" will bring white people to their knees.

MJ and Prince are definitely in the mix. Come On Eileen is a Boston staple, and while I'm not psyched about it, I could live with it.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    undertheradar routinely KILLS weddings. listen to the man.

Electric Slide like what!!!

Hah! OH HELLS NO.

Haha. It is almost guaranteed that this will be requested, I would load it up on the ipod and bring it just to be prepared. I always keep a healthly supply of the We Are Family, I Will Survive type of disco. Also, some classic rock.

Plaese to elaborate on the classic rock. We talking Journey? Led Zep? Knowledge me, bro. I am in need of sure shot wisdom nuggets.

• Plaese to elaborate on the classic rock. We talking Journey? Led Zep? Knowledge me, bro. I am in need of sure shot wisdom nuggets.

Yeah, stuff like that, not too sure about Zep, but Rolling Stones, Steve Miller, Journey etc. Come to think of it, I REALLY don't end up playing too much rock, but I've seen friends play this type of stuff and do well. Man, nowadays, without Microwave, I don't even know what I would do..

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Just ask them if they want clean versions played. I had the same sort of stuff played at my wedding (whaddup marco) and asked for the clean versions so the older folks, and especially the person paying (my now father-in-law) would not get sour.

if you play hiphop 12s then most clean versions should already be there. should be pretty easy, right?

• you want to be playing a lot of songs that the largest crossection of the audience is familiar wiht. later in the evening, the audience should be younger, hornier and drunker

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    As far as rock tunage goes, "Back in Black" always seems to do the trick.
    80's clubby synth pop went over very well at our wedding: Dead or Alive, Pet Shop Boys, Real Life. You can't go wrong with the Holy Trinity of Wedding Groove: September, Celebrate and We Are Family

As far as rock tunage goes, "Back in Black" always seems to do the trick.

Had that in the bag, with the twist of using the Inhumanz mashup with Next Episode instead.

Dead or Alive

Usually like to mix this with Blue Monday, but that seems a little dark for a wedding.

You can't go wrong with the Holy Trinity of Wedding Groove: September, Celebrate and We Are Family

Yet it feels so very wrong.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    a strutter djed my wedding and dropped "ain't no fun".

true story.

no one seemed to notice except me.

• Weddings suck.

You can NEVER come out on top.

Facts are facts, you WILL piss somebody off.

Do you and the couple. Let everyone else worry about it.

"YOU CAN'T WIN!"

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Rick Asterly

• Bring 80s shit....

Plus... make sure you have some Michael Jackson and shit like that.

Our DJ canceled for my sisters wedding and I ended up having to do the whole thing with Microwave with no CD decks or turntables... It was tough to get started... but in the end we all had fun.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    speaking of clean versions

my friends brothers wedding had this corny microphone guy DJ

with an arena voice

my friend came out to dre-the next episode a pleasant surprise

they are lebanese so they looked for hiphop with a (cringe)"arab"(/cringe) twist

the bride and groom come out to

Big Pimpin with full on lyrics

"I...love em'tease'em F*ck'em, leave'em cuz i dont f*cking need them!"

and now the first dance

• you can do 2 straight minutes of michael jackson and aint nobody going to say spit about it.

off the wall, thriller and bad are unfuckwittable for all age groups between 15 and 50.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Is there any ethnic elements to the wedding? If so you may have to pack a few tarantella type tunes (depends on the nationality)....

Dont forget the wedding floor party starters like Nutbush, Macarena, Achy Breaky Heart (?) ...especially that Chicken Song!!! (anything with moves ppl already know)....

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    mix "Venus" by "Shocking Blue" into the break part of "Wild Thing" by "Tone Loc" and enjoy seeing all ages dance. At least that's what happened at my last wedding I played

• anything with the word "megamix" in the title.

• Ive done many weddings without any of the typical, cliched schlock...just make sure to have a few favorite, recognizable artists,Prince and James Brown, etc...a secret weapon of mine for the old folks is The Stokes "Whipped Cream", which was the theme music to The Newlywed Game (Herb Albert played the version on the show, but the OG version has that NOLA thing about it so it swings harder)...so you get cute points and grandma tappin her toe(plus old folks are the first to complain about the music, so try and make them happy right off the bat and any possible trouble will squashed...that might sound silly, but some Belafonte and shit and you're golden
    (however, middle aged twice divorced drunk Uncle is pretty much unpleasable)

Just keep in mind you can get everyone up with tunes like Marvin Gaye " Got to give it up" Jean Knight "Mr. Big Stuff", with hitslike that in the mix, something like Eddie Bo wont sound out of place, and will keep people who got up when they heard james or Marvin on the dancefloor even though they might not be familar with it ...you dont have to resort to crap like the "Electric Slide"..you can keep it tasteful and still get folks up on the floor..no need for "YMCA"

• =The Stokes "Whipped Cream", which was the theme music to The Newlywed Game (Herb Albert played the version on the show, but the OG version has that NOLA thing about it so it swings harder=

Sir Allen Toussaint-penned I do believe