Identifying diggers' rejects in the "Just In" bins

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Have you ever gotten that funny yet slightly sinking feeling whilst looking through the new arrivals bins, that a fellow record collector has just taken a total shit at your local spot?I mean, the scenario's are varied, but most often times it's Quincy Jones soundtracks next to slightly interesting looking middle eastern records, next to off press high school band records with jazz rock ensembles, next to Gospel records of funky looking leanings, next CTI staples and then about 20 to 30 or so rap 12"s.Sometimes you can get an occasional gem, but more often then not I take it as a buyer beware, or a sort of editorial on the stacks sent through the code of the titles themselves. Usually there's nothing left in the store at that point either.Always interesting to see what people are letting go of, though around my parts, pickings are very thin. Most conspicuous place for this to occur? Got be the Salv.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I know what you mean, but some "diggers" don't know shit about music though. At times I am delighted to find their rejects...

• Indeed, it's always a trip to find that extremely sick/rare/valuable record amidst some Timmy Digalot's tossbacks.

that said, I always wonder what completely obvious yet desirable titles I've missed.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    At one shop in town the new arrivals are so so out of the 7 days it's open. The good stuff that isn't priced because of condition issues is behind the counter.Buyers that are in- good with the owner go through the stacks and pull out BS and leave the obscure stuff. Which stays put in the back stock room!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Eric Mercury, The 5th Dimension and Lou Rawls turds for dayz.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Apparently 85% of the records I buy at Ch*apo's were sold to them
    by Xa*ier, if his PM's are to be believed.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    If that's true, we should ask him to stop meticulously duct taping the edges of their covers.

• Eric Mercury, The 5th Dimension and Lou Rawls turds for dayz.

Eric Mercury's electric black man was alright if i remember correctly.

Almost everything in just in piles around her is a diggers reject. I traded in about 100 decent titles all scratched as sh*t recently and i remember thinking, there are going to be alot of people gripping these who are as dumb as i was 3 years ago....

Eric Mercury's electric black man was alright if i remember correctly.

You remember incorrectly.

If that's true, we should ask him to stop meticulously duct taping the edges of their covers.

LOL! "OK, Xa*ier ... AKA SANTOS! You are exposed!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The most common diggers rejects I see these days are exact Scorpio repros (I can't call them "reissues"). Either Timmy Digalot found an original pressing, or found out too late that he bought a duplicate.

In the '90s, you know what I used to see turn up used all the time? Westbound's vinyl reissues of the first three Funkadelic albums...all these diggers-come-lately would buy Maggot Brain or Free Your Mind..., thinking they were gonna get some slap-bass funk, and then they would be shocked when it turned out to be hard rock...straight to the used shop it went

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Eric Mercury, The 5th Dimension and Lou Rawls turds for dayz.

Minus the Eric Mercury but the other two plus Dave Grusin stuff is always in the new arrival bin at shops around here.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

that said, I always wonder what completely obvious yet desirable titles I've missed.

i always wonder this myself

• this is how I score a lot of killer R&B at this one spot here in town...there is an old record player you can listen to stuff on and since this spot is just boxes of LPs and 45s everywhere, there isnt anywhere really to "file" back so folks just leave the 45s by the record player...so there are piles and piles of records you can tell Timmy Digalot thought was gonna be some break bukkake or raer funk 45s, but usually they are good early soul or R&B rackords, two types that jaunty-hat-an-angle dudes have no use for...

• that said, I always wonder what completely obvious yet desirable titles I've missed.

i always wonder this myself

When I worked at a record store in college, I would never look at the 45s. There were BREAKZ to be found, yo!
    I also went home to the Ohio/Indiana border area every summer in that era... and again, never looked at 45s.

Ah well... South of where we end up, right?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Apparently 85% of the records I buy at Ch*apo's were sold to them
    by Xa*ier, if his PM's are to be believed.

Dude, i do my best to sell cheapo good shit. alot of their better wall pieces were from me, and i keep bringing them good soul/psych/jazz/hip hop titles

And my last dozen trips down there have resulted in me buying nothing that was in their bins, you dudes leave nothing behind! i always end up getting something from rob (my favorite record dude in the world) though so theres no beef.

also i recently filled their 12" new arrivals bin w/ canadian raers.

and i never tape lp covers.

peace,xavier

• rogbrogb 172 Posts

and i never tape lp covers.

Why not?