Im thinking about getting a tattoo

Comments

• I work with a guy who has the Led Zeppelin symbols inked across his arm. Weapon related tattoos are dumb, too. And there are the forearm compass stars...Maybe I'm disconnected from the eyesore Ed Hardy/skull-and-bones wearing scenester bullshit every girl my age is into, but doesnt that star thing orignally have heroin-related connotations?

The nautical star along with swallows, roosters, pigs, etc. all come from the og sailor tattoo tradition. They all have significance relating to being a sailor or having good luck.

Ed Hardy was a protege of "Sailor Jerry", a tattoo artist that most people will agree started the whole style.

I do not[/b] heartily endorse the clothing line.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    True story: My little brother has a tattoo of a broken lightbulb to remind him to stay away from bad ideas.

• i have the words "tribal arm band" repeatedly encircling my left bicep.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    My daughters gave each other tatoos for Xmas......they are from their favorite cartoon from when they were kids called "Somewhere In Dreamland" which is about two little poor kids who dream of going to a land where cupcakes and ice cream grow on trees....my younger kid got the "pre-dream" kids while the older one got the "dream state" kids......to each their own.

Super cute!

• someone should get a tattoo of Herve Villechaize.

• someone should get a tattoo of Herve Villechaize.

........climbing the empire state building and swatting at planes.

Tell'em just to get a cool "inked up" shirt instead....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Tell'em just to get a cool "inked up" shirt instead....

Forget the shirt, just do the dreads.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Rock, I would like to see those designs.

No i do not have any Maori tattoos: I am not Maori.

I have never worked in a tattoo studio, but have spend my fair share of time in them: some of the requests have blown my mind: one muppet wanted, for his first tattoo a 9 milli on his neck.

And then there are the dudes who come in with their buddies, flick through all the books, tell everyone about the one they are thinking of getting, spend an hour bleating on and think that their totally awesome full back piece will cost $50.

seriously: i hate.

"you know what hurts less than getting a tattoo?
    Talking about getting a tattoo"

BRILLIANT.

• /thraed

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rock, I would like to see those designs.

Here are some I had copies of....the OG's are in a book that is harder to photo.

• a buddy of mine is a tattoo artist and has stories...as far as folks not knowing how much they actually are...this is a typical exchange:

"I wanna get "Bone" and "Orange Mound" in Olde English letters across my back....whoa thats how much? How about it smaller on my arm? Still that much? How much for just Bone? Still? How much for just a "B"? Dude walks out with a 1inch "B" on his forearm...

I need to get a pic of these matching tattoos he did on a lesbian couple...it was something like A Unicorn with a lightning bolt coming out of its horn, striking a vagina and clit and rainbow blood coming out of it....

Here are some I had copies of....the OG's are in a book that is harder to photo.

great work. he must have been a good friend for you to have that book.

R.I.P

• He liked to say that there is a place in hell where everyone who has the same stock tatoo will spend eternity together.

I hung around a friends tattoo shop years ago as a buddy got some work done. Watched some guy walk in, pick some standard tribal out of a book and get it put on his shoulder. In and out in probably 20 minutes. I couldn't believe someone would put so little thought and get something so generic that would be on your body for the rest of your life.

• He liked to say that there is a place in hell where everyone who has the same stock tatoo will spend eternity together.

I hung around a friends tattoo shop years ago as a buddy got some work done. Watched some guy walk in, pick some standard tribal out of a book and get it put on his shoulder. In and out in probably 20 minutes. I couldn't believe someone would put so little thought and get something so generic that would be on your body for the rest of your life.

Perhaps he had been thinking about it for a long time.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

He liked to say that there is a place in hell where everyone who has the same stock tatoo will spend eternity together.

This is what you'd call a window dressing tattoo. Just there so he can show off to the world that he has a
    'tattoo'. No thought, no meaning, no respect for the art. The sad part is that people like this are a dime a dozen.

• No thought, no meaning

Dudes try too hard to find something of meaning -- I have lots of tattoos and I'd say 90% of them were ideas that I came up with the day of my appointment. I seriously find that the most planned out of tattoos are usually the ones I like the least.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Dudes try too hard to find something of meaning

It can be pretty painful listening to someone give some elaborate explanation for a piece that looks fine out of context. I was getting some work done once and the guy whose appointment was after mine showed up a little early. I don't remember why, but he started telling me about the dragon on his arm that represented his ego, and how it was reaching up for a fireball which represented his pride, and down below were a couple of koi fish, who were "all 'zenned' out," which, you know, represented his calmer side...

• but he started telling me about the dragon on his arm that represented his ego, and how it was reaching up for a fireball which represented his pride, and down below were a couple of koi fish, who were "all 'zenned' out," which, you know, represented his calmer side...

VOMIT.

GUESS WHAT, BRO? YOUR DRAGON DOESN'T MEAN ANY OF THAT SHIT. MAN UP AND ADMIT THAT YOU THINK DRAGONS LOOK COOL (BECAUSE THEY DO.)

[/rant]

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

well done cock

cunts.

Now thats got me thinking about getting a tattoo of a cunt on my cock.....

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Kat Von D.

Yes or No?

• Kat Von D.

Yes or No?

While she may be good at portrait work, I'd still say

• Just frickin do it.

• One time about 10 yrs ago I thought 'I think I'll get a tat' the next morning I woke up with a tattoo. Damn, I'm way too impulsive for things that last a lifetime.... same thing happened with kids.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Oh man, poor guy!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

a former workmate's sister had this little guy tattooed on her upper arm...donning a biker jacket. the workmate said her sister must have been on crack - it was easier to come to terms with a crack-addled sister than one who would make a lucid decision to get such a tattoo.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    A friend of mine has the typical Heart with the banner through it, but on the banner it says "Carne Asada." I like that one.

An oldie but a goodie: