Court turns away suit over Confederate flag shirts

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
NASHVILLE, Tenn. ??? A full federal appeals court won't hear a lawsuit by three Tennessee students threatened with suspension if they wore Confederate flag T-shirts.A three-judge panel ruled in August that Blount County, just south of Knoxville, could ban the clothing. On Friday, the judges denied a request for a hearing by the full federal appeals court in Cincinnati.Students Derek Barr and Craig and Chris White argued their free speech rights were violated by the ban on clothes with the flag, which is considered a symbol of racism and intolerance by some and an emblem of Southern heritage by others.School officials said their ban came after racial tension at William Blount High.There have been a string of similar claims from Texas to South Carolina since the 1990s.Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.harvey baiting related.....

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Here's what I don't quite understand about the confederate flag thing. the South tried to secede from the USA. They were traitors to the flag. Why is this rag flying over the statehouse in South Carolina?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here's what I don't quite understand about the confederate flag thing. the South tried to secede from the USA. They were traitors to the flag. Why is this rag flying over the statehouse in South Carolina?

It's Urr Hair-it-age

b/w

You've Got Your X (And I've Got Mine)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't think that it should be illegal, per se, to wear these shirts (it is still a matter of free speech), but I do believe that a school or town should be able reserve the right to set their own community standards (even if it results in a gigantic fine or expulsion). It's a fine line, I'll admit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't think that it should be illegal, per se, to wear these shirts (it is still a matter of free speech), but I do believe that a school or town should be able reserve the right to set their own community standards (even if it results in a gigantic fine or expulsion). It's a fine line, I'll admit.

A school has an absolute right to dictate children's dress.

A town has no right beyond decency, which this does not fall under.

Someone should redo this with images slave whippings, and lynchings and other traditions of the Old South. Not really.

• A PRIVATE[/b] school has an absolute right to dictate children's dress.

A public school, funded by tax dollars, most certainly does not.

It's the parents' job to teach their children right from wrong.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    should a kid be allowed to wear a t-shirt that says "hey, lets go lynch some negros!!!"?

because to me its the same thing.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    here in Tampa they had a big controversy about some red necks flying a HUGE confederate flag by the intersection of I-4 and I-75, it pisses me off to know thats the first thing people see when coming to my city. I think the local NAACP tried to fight it and lost.

news story

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=4978568&page=1

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Now THAT one I like, for some reason!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

AWESOME

i would fly this shit every day.

and probably get murdered.

• Im not from the US of A so excuse my ignorance...

Is there any time where you guys think its okay to fly the confederate flag or do you always think its a sign referencing to slavery / racism?

Do people in the North vs. the South feel different about this? I mean some reasonable educated people not some drunk rednecks...

I have been driving a bit around Alabama and Mississippi the last week and I have seen it in a few places.

Peace,

Dress

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    people in the south say it means "southern pride". everybody else says it means "life was better when niggers were slaves."

that flag can burn as far as I'm concerned.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    The confederate flag belongs in a museum, and nowhere else. End of discussion.

• When I hear people talk about the heritage thing, I remind them that their team is 0-1.

I do find it amusing how many people don't get that the Union is the United States. Can you be patriotic and embrace your "heritage"?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Freedom of speech gives individuals (and groups for that matter) the right to fly the flag.

Schools get to control their students speech, and companies have some control over employees speech. Buy that I mean dress codes are generally enforceable.

That South Carolina chooses to fly the flag at the state house is simply a statement that they hate America.