War crimes prosecution...

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Ok. I know yesterday and today are all about turning the page on the last eight years of our nation's shameful government...But, there is a lot of bluster and talk about prosecuting members of the Bush Administration for war crimes, torture, etc.And, in a precedent based government such as ours, I can understand the legal merits of prosecuting.But, in the end, for the purposes of moving forward, I sincerely hope that there is simply a scathing resolution and condemnation, and that is the end of that. May we learn from these mistakes, but may we do so without the circus and shitshow that would come out of a trial.IMO.But, what is your opinion?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    send 'em to gitmo!

while it lasts anyways.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ok. I know yesterday and today are all about turning the page on the last eight years of our nation's shameful government...

But, there is a lot of bluster and talk about prosecuting members of the Bush Administration for war crimes, torture, etc.

And, in a precedent based government such as ours, I can understand the legal merits of prosecuting.

But, in the end, for the purposes of moving forward, I sincerely hope that there is simply a scathing resolution and condemnation, and that is the end of that. May we learn from these mistakes, but may we do so without the circus and shitshow that would come out of a trial.

IMO.

But, what is your opinion?

Why Obama will not lead the charge:
    1) He is into reconciliation and moving beyond partisanship.
    2) He wants his office to be as powerful as possible so will not move against expanded powers that Bush gave the office.
    3) He has bigger fish to fry.
    4) Investigation and trial would take years, decades, and hairsplitting will become some intense you will think that "depends on the meaning of is" was a sensible question.

Why it may happen anyway:
    1) No one is above the law.
    2) Let the Hague decide.
    3) From way in left field; Republicans may want to diminish the power of the executive branch and thus start investigations into politicizing of the justice department, torture, expanded powers.
    4) Obama is a constitutional scholar who will want to set the record straight.

Why I think it should happen:
    2) We can not heal the damage done internationally and domestically with out a thorough investigation and holding those at the top responsible.

• I'd like to see some investigations. If they lead to prosecutions, all good.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Why I think it should happen:
    2) We can not heal the damage done internationally and domestically with out a thorough investigation and holding those at the top responsible.

Yep.

• Leading dems signed off on everything. Too many of his own boys would be on the hook for Obama to attempt prosecuting bush.

• Leading dems signed off on everything. Too many of his own boys would be on the hook for Obama to attempt prosecuting bush.

Not so much... These are all those sealed documents, DoJ memos, executive orders, etc. These were the sort of unilateral decisions that were made specifically to keep others in the dark.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    how do ya'll feel about the US signing off on the ICC? That would make a bold statement of international solidarity IMO, and allow investigations to proceed independent of Obama's work.

• I believe the Us gov. killed 3000+ of it's own citizens or let it happen. Just so they could get this global "anti-terrorism" project off the ground. Fighting this conveniently "invisible" enemy. So if you ask me, they should be put to shame. And not get away with some warning. They never listen, learn, they never do, until you throw in some jail sentence in there.

Bush is gettig away with at least a shitload of tax-money that reverted into his own pockets through the sale of weapons for war with his Carlysle Group. The war was a mistake he says? Naaah I don't buy that.

They do not have the same morals/ethics you and i have and that we expect from others as well. They live above the law. The patriot-act Bush signed is also a direct violation to US-ctizens liberties.

Frankly, I don't believe there will be any consequences for these people. Why? They have been the face of this big strong America for so long. America would rather keep quiet, ridicule Bush for a day or two to keep critics happy, and just let it pass. The new company slogan to brainwash people with now is
    "Change".

And what does Bush care? He is rich, rich, rich. And like he said:

"Americans are a fine bunch of people, they are great tax-payers!"

• akaaka 67 Posts
    Has there ever been a person from a country that didn't lose a war (or wasn't invaded by a bunch of other countries) that has been convicted of a war crime?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I believe the Us gov. killed 3000+ of it's own citizens or let it happen. Just so they could get this global "anti-terrorism" project off the ground. Fighting this conveniently "invisible" enemy. So if you ask me, they should be put to shame. And not get away with some warning. They never listen, learn, they never do, until you throw in some jail sentence in there.

Bush is gettig away with at least a shitload of tax-money that reverted into his own pockets through the sale of weapons for war with his Carlysle Group.[/b] The war was a mistake he says? Naaah I don't buy that.

They do not have the same morals/ethics you and i have and that we expect from others as well. They live above the law. The patriot-act Bush signed is also a direct violation to US-ctizens liberties.

Frankly, I don't believe there will be any consequences for these people. Why? They have been the face of this big strong America for so long. America would rather keep quiet, ridicule Bush for a day or two to keep critics happy, and just let it pass. The new company slogan to brainwash people with now is
    "Change".

the war economy

I believe the Us gov. killed 3000+ of it's own citizens or let it happen. Just so they could get this global "anti-terrorism" project off the ground. Fighting this conveniently "invisible" enemy. So if you ask me, they should be put to shame. And not get away with some warning. They never listen, learn, they never do, until you throw in some jail sentence in there.

Bush is gettig away with at least a shitload of tax-money that reverted into his own pockets through the sale of weapons for war with his Carlysle Group. The war was a mistake he says? Naaah I don't buy that.

"Change".

Please report to the Free Mason thread; stat!

If you don't I will start talking about the connection between Dutch bankers and Gringotts.

Has there ever been a person from a country that didn't lose a war (or wasn't invaded by a bunch of other countries) that has been convicted of a war crime?

US soldiers have been found guilty of war crimes [or it might be more accurate to say criminal acts] in US military courts.

I do not know much about the history of international courts and war crimes.
    Best I know only Nazis and Yugoslavians have been tried internationally.

South Africa and Rwanda have established their own systems to deal with crimes against humanity.

• huh? focus dude FOCUS. US officials. war crimes. lemme know if you need help with this.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Yes, PLEASE. This is just what everybody wants and can only add to the lustre of Congress. Who cares if there's 10%+ unemployment when we can rest assured that our congressional leaders are busying themselves away drafting war crimes indictments against the former administration.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I think I'd be more into preventing war crimes.

You hear that, Israel? Aw shit...too late.

Yes, PLEASE. This is just what everybody wants and can only add to the lustre of Congress. Who cares if there's 10%+ unemployment when we can rest assured that our congressional leaders are busying themselves away drafting war crimes indictments against the former administration.

I think it would be a job for the Justice Department, not congress.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

And who do you think is going to push for the Justice Dept. to do this? What faces do you think you'll see on the floor jockeying for face time and crying out for justice?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It will never happen.

Progressive Left Obama Dissapointment #1

And who do you think is going to push for the Justice Dept. to do this? What faces do you think you'll see on the floor jockeying for face time and crying out for justice?

Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

War crimes indictments will hopefully be an important part in the process of restoring the totally tarnished reputation of the US in the eyes of the rest of the world.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

huh? focus dude FOCUS. US officials. war crimes. lemme know if you need help with this.

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist. You're giving me all the help I need.

• I think I'd be more into preventing war crimes.

apparently there's two of y'all who lack the focus for this discussion b/w have a creepy obsession with a certain wholly unrelated world event.

fuggit let's talbout that Greece thing while we're at it. And maybe the Oakland BART shooting.

I think I'd be more into preventing war crimes.

apparently there's two of y'all who lack the focus for this discussion b/w have a creepy obsession with a certain wholly unrelated world event.

Oh please tell us what we are allowed to talk about in this thread.

And "unrelated"? Who is it again that primarily provides Israel with its arms to go out and commit war crimes?

White phosphorus much?

• well, this thread is actually about the incoming Obama administration's launching investigations into possible unlawful acts by the outgoing Bush administration, something I'm all for.

but since you insist on changing the subject, Red Cross: Israel's use of white phosphorus not illegal

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

War crimes indictments will hopefully be an important part in the process of restoring the totally tarnished reputation of the US in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The people most interested in having the U.S. restore their tarnished reputation to the rest of the world are.......the rest of the world.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    As long as Dick Cheney dont enjoy a healthy retirement and hapiness, I'm good (it started off well). Same goes for Wolfowitz and bunch of others. Prosecuting these mofos will be a circus anyway, I'd rather let God put a curse on 'em. I don't believe in the Justice systel when it comes to high-ranked politicians. Too many conflict of interest...

well, this thread is actually about the incoming Obama administration's launching investigations into possible unlawful acts by the outgoing Bush administration, something I'm all for.

but since you insist on changing the subject, Red Cross: Israel's use of white phosphorus not illegal

Yeah, they didn't intend to burn up children with it...they just happened to do so.

• I'm sure your folks didn't intend to raise a complete idiot either.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

The people most interested in having the U.S. restore their tarnished reputation to the rest of the world are.......the rest of the world.

Yeah, you're probably right, although I feel that it would definitely be in the best interested of the US to investigate the possible wrongdoings that have happened during the last 8 years. I personally don't believe it'll happen.