Street Fighter HD REMIX

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    yeah i'm all over this shit for xbox. like 150 ranked online wins!

okay but i have like 100 losses. i do some stomping and receive a few stompings myself

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've been sorely tempted to impulse purchase this many many times.

The main sticking points are a) that I'm not convinced the 360 pad is built for dragon punches and b) that my belief in my own abilities honed from beating my friends on this bitd are going to get rudely crushed within five minutes of going online......

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I've been thinking about getting it for the PS3.

Probably waiting until Street Fighter 4 though.

The main sticking points are a) that I'm not convinced the 360 pad is built for dragon punches and b) that my belief in my own abilities honed from beating my friends on this bitd are going to get rudely crushed within five minutes of going online......
    yeah the 360 pad isn't the best thing for the moves... i played SF3 third strike for years on a dreamcast pad so its doable you just have to get used to it. online can be pretty nasty. it's a remix of Super Turbo which was the first truly competitive version of street fighter and it's still played in tournaments today. it's extremely unforgiving and easy to get brutalized by good players. it's a lot of fun to me, but fighting games have always been my thing

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I owned the SNES and played SF2 like a fiend back in the day.

4 years ago, some of my 23-year-old University bredren who routinely beat me at Soul Calibre & Teken purchased a second-hand SNES with SF2, and I was pleased to find that the magic was still there - perfect victories with Zangief & the 360 spinning pile-driver, the Chun Lai reverse air-throw... I was once again a God among men.

Fast forward to Dec 22nd just gone, and my friend passes out drunk in my front room. My girl is so annoyed with his behaviour earlier in the evening that she insists we go for a walk so she can cool down. We walk round the block, and find that somebody has dumped a SNES with SF2, Mario Cart, NBA Jam, and the Super Mario Brothers 1,2 + 3 collection with all the wires and 4 controllers outside their house... presumably as an X-Box or a Wii is on the way. Best X-Mas present ever!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

yeah the 360 pad isn't the best thing for the moves... i played SF3 third strike for years on a dreamcast pad so its doable you just have to get used to it. online can be pretty nasty. it's a remix of Super Turbo which was the first truly competitive version of street fighter and it's still played in tournaments today. it's extremely unforgiving and easy to get brutalized by good players. it's a lot of fun to me, but fighting games have always been my thing

Yeah this is what I feared. I suppose the answer would be to get a joystick but seems a lot of effort for a downloadable game. I loved my fighting games through the whole 2D stage but then peaked around Tekken 3. After that I just couldn't be bothered to sit there and learn a whole new slew of moves again - mark it down to laziness.

I also suspect the game will be faster than I'm used to having grown up on a PAL version and don't particularly fancy the verbal mocking I will receive from the prepubescent oiks who will be handing out beatings. Maybe I should just dig out my SNES and my special edition SFII Turbo instead.

Edit:

4 years ago, some of my 23-year-old University bredren who routinely beat me at Soul Calibre & Teken purchased a second-hand SNES with SF2, and I was pleased to find that the magic was still there - perfect victories with Zangief & the 360 spinning pile-driver, the Chun Lai reverse air-throw... I was once again a God among men.

See that's exactly what I'm talking about. Just like riding a bike.

I also suspect the game will be faster than I'm used to having grown up on a PAL version and don't particularly fancy the verbal mocking I will receive from the prepubescent oiks who will be handing out beatings. Maybe I should just dig out my SNES and my special edition SFII Turbo instead.

i find the only dudes that say anything are when they think they are good and then get their ass handed to them but yeah, a lot of people get sticks to play it. overall it still is a nostalgia/enthusiast niche DL. i have definitely gotten more of my money's worth over any of the other XBLA games that i don't even touch these days

• i fucks with the SFII turbo download from the wii channel with the classic remote. i'd suggest getting a bag of sour candy and rocking 36 chambers while playing for best nostalgic effect.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Street Fighter 4

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    To see Zangief, E Honda and Dhalsim again just made my night.

i literally spent hours and hours of my teens standing outside a burgerbar playing the arcade version.

f*cking beautiful.