Early black music grails

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
An og Northern Soul head told me this hit ??5 back in the late 60s UK. Which was a lot of money back then. [/img] Bonus beat: shadows of grass blades from my lawn.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am a little confused by the subject.
    Is the Chubby Checkers supposed to be early Black music?
    Is it that a long time ago it was collectible?

When I read the title I was expecting more of the Black Patti above, not Cameo Parkway.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

When I read the title I was expecting more of the Black Patti above, not Cameo Parkway.

I would think a relatively recent 45 going for $5 in the US in the 1960s would be unheard of, or at least very unusual. I'd assume that 5 pounds was at least the equivalent if not more at that time.

I have 45s from the 60s with 39 cent price tags on them.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I would think a relatively recent 45 going for $5 in the US in the 1960s would be unheard of, or at least very unusual. I'd assume that 5 pounds was at least the equivalent if not more at that time.

I have 45s from the 60s with 39 cent price tags on them.

Just thought I'd share the fact that people were paying big money even back in the 60s for a record.

??5 was something like a weeks wages at the time. And I heard this was the record that broke the ??5 barrier.

Of course it's no grail today. You can pick it up here now for about the same price as 40 years ago.

Investments can go down as well as up.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, to my knowledge, that Checker 45 wasn't released in the UK, which drove up its asking price.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Bonus beat: shadows of grass blades from my lawn.

I disagree. For a second I thought the sleeve was some pre-photoshop layering job and was impressed.

More sleeves with weird shadows, please.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

More sleeves with weird shadows, please.

YOU GOT IT!

[/img]

DEALT

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

I would think a relatively recent 45 going for $5 in the US in the 1960s would be unheard of, or at least very unusual.

I guess the modern day equivalent to this would be the Kings Go Forth 45, which was hitting triple figures a week after it came out.

PS: Their new single is gonna be pure fire furrr fiyah

I wrote a long ass reply, but then the page wouldn't load.

Here are some other early collectible scenes and people.

In NYC and Philly in the late 50s early 60s cats were paying bank for early doo wop records.

In the 40s and 50s NYC jazz aficionados were collecting early blues records that were only distributed in the south. Count John Hammond and Jerry Wexler in that group.

Then there is Joe Brussard. The link was in the lost post.

And Dick Spottswood. Another lost link.

Google them if you want to know about folks who worked hard to find those grails long ago.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I would think a relatively recent 45 going for $5 in the US in the 1960s would be unheard of, or at least very unusual.

I guess the modern day equivalent to this would be the Kings Go Forth 45, which was hitting triple figures a week after it came out.

PS: Their new single is gonna be pure fire furrr fiyah

Tried to get one less than two weeks after it dropped. No way.

This continues an annoying precedent - the purposefully limited press.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    black music

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Then there is Joe Bussard.[/b] The link was in the lost post.

Then there is Joe Bussard.[/b] The link was in the lost post.

Thank you, he is easier to google when his name is spelled right.