The last President to finish on top?

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So, seeing Bush leave today made me think:Any of you dudes/ettes have thoughts on who is arguably considered the last US President to end their term in top Presidential form? I figure it has to be at least a 2 term President by default and while unfortunate, probably wouldn't consider Kennedy given his assassination ending his term short.-Bush-2 obviously is not a candidate by most accounts.-Clinton, while not a big deal to me, pretty much tanked his last few years mired in BJ scandal.-Reagan might be the non-strutter general consensus for the last one, except history now suggests that he was in the throws of Alzheimer during his last few years.Do we have to go back to Ike, Truman or FDR for a President that really ended on top, or is it even feasible for a President to do this? Is 8yrs just too hard to be on the top of your game, or is 8yrs just too long for the hatteurs to not find ways to punch holes into your armor.thoughts?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Eisenhower?

And Clinton left on an ambivalent note - on the one hand, the country was in decent shape and his ratings were high but on the other, his personal failings likely helped Bush win in '00.

• I mean, FDR went out pretty gangster by the standards of the day; the war in Europe was largely won, all that was left was to carve up the spoils. his oversight of the Manhattan Project assured Truman had the bomb (and the US leverage that comes with it) when he died...In hindsight he may have done more to prevent Stalin's flagrant violations of the Yalta agreements; indeed, the entire Yalta conference can be viewed in hindsight as a sell-out to Stalin, but...relatively speaking he went out on top from a US perspective I think.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No one can say that Bush is the worse president ever.

Only the long arc of history will decide.

No one can say that Bush is the worse president ever.

Only the long arc of history will decide.

What we can say is:
    Bush is the worse president so far.

Yeah, Clinton did really good actually.

Bush and Truman though?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Ike?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Clinton left on an ambivalent note - on the one hand, the country was in decent shape and his ratings were high

...besides, after eight years in office, if the WORST thing you can say about a President is a sexual scandal...then otherwise, he did all right. 'Specially compared with George W. Bush's list of errors...

but on the other, his personal failings likely helped Bush win in '00.

after serving two terms, its not like he was going to come back

Clinton left on an ambivalent note - on the one hand, the country was in decent shape and his ratings were high

...besides, after eight years in office, if the WORST thing you can say about a President is a sexual scandal...then otherwise, he did all right. 'Specially compared with George W. Bush's list of errors...

Yeah but you don't think Gore's campaign suffered for it?

Eisenhower I think was still generally liked.
    The economy was down.
    Russia was winning the space race.
    Russia had the bomb. (I can't remember when China got it.)

Eisenhower made one of the best parting speeches. In it he warned against allowing industries who supply military technology from gaining to much control. He called it "The military industrial complex".

No one listened.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Presidents are like Boxers...the only way to get out on top is to die.

Russia had the bomb. (I can't remember when China got it.)

BTW, Russia got the bomb in 1950 on Truman's watch. But it loomed large in 1960.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Yeah but you don't think Gore's campaign suffered for it?

well, personally I think Gore suffered for Gore

ill admit to having voted for him, but that was more of a lesser-of-two-evils kinda thing (and i sure wasnt gonh give the vote to Nader)

as was said earlier, the country was in decent shape, and clinton's mistakes were relatively minor. anything gore could have inherited from clinton would have been to the good

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

What rock have you been living under to say something as misinformed as the worst thing to come of Clinton's 8 years was a sex scandal?

• Clinton left on an ambivalent note - on the one hand, the country was in decent shape and his ratings were high

What rock have you been living under to say something as misinformed as the worst thing to come of Clinton's 8 years was a sex scandal?

True. Inaction in regards to Rwanda < sex scandal.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

In terms of the general public, and what affected the poles the most, the lewinsky shit was by far the most relevant thing in clinton's presidency. and i think that's what was originally meant.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    , and what affected the poles the most, the lewinsky shit .

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, it only affected one pole that I know of!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

oh damn! total freudian slip.

• , and what affected the poles the most, the lewinsky shit .

if you wanna know what affects the "poles" (rather than the "polls") you need to go check the Freemason thread.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

haha. I guess I'm getting this one in late, then:

"Did Clinton finish on top? Depends on what position he and Lewinsky used!" Wakka Wakka Wakka! tip your waitresses, folks!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Speaking of finishing on top... Do you think the "christened" the white house last night? My wife says no, but I bet they did.

• Speaking of presidents finishing out on top did you guys know that the during the entire eight years Bush was in office whenever he and Laura had sex Laura always had to be on top.
    Reason? W. could only F*ck up.

Speaking of finishing on top... Do you think the "christened" the white house last night? My wife says no, but I bet they did.

Your wife is right. Why? because she knows that after a 16 hour day, including 10 fusking inaugural balls (probably in high heels), the last thing she wants to do when you finally get back to the Pale Home is get it on.

"Barry - we have another four years, chill!"

• Going out with style.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Your wife is right. Why? because she knows that after a 16 hour day, including 10 fusking inaugural balls (probably in high heels), the last thing she wants to do when you finally get back to the Pale Home is get it on.

"Barry - we have another four years, chill!"

Thats actually what I thought, but her reasoning is that they would be too weirded out by the secret service dudes standing right outside the door.