• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That benediction killed it. haha

where the brown can hang around
    where the yellow can mellow
    where the red man can get ahead man
    and the white will do what's right.

or something like that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, what I liked about his speech is that it didn't feel like a collection of lines, it came straight from the heart. And when you come directly from the skull like that, you will stammer on occasion. But you can tell he meant it. I think this may be for real; this isn't smoke & mirrors.

And cosign on what Rockadelic said about this not being a catchphrase fest...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    what did obama just sign three times? his rental agreement for the white house?

I missed it!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Tito, hand me a tissue.."

• I can't remember the last time I heard a speech that inspiring.

agreed. it was a combination of the actual speech and the present circumstances. the most impressive thing about his speech was that it had a real purpose. his focus on urging us as individuals to face the "icey tides" and invoking those who worked until their hands were sore is exactly what we need.....basically a good kick in the ass. its gonna take more than government to bail us out. when you look at his "day of service" yesterday and now this speech, i don't think there is any doubt that he's setting the example of getting right to work.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Best president eva!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Best president eva!

I think you're forgetting about a certain President Kang.

Also, happy birthday.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• "Birth of a Nation"!!! ewwfffff for days.

Ah, let's AMPLIFY that statement a little:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Just got this from one of my boys;

"the most eloquent orator I've ever seen firsthand, giving the most inclusive speech we've ever seen from a US President; that just made me embarrassed to be a cynical Brit for once in my life. Not one second of that would ever happen in the UK, and I find that quite shameful."

I have to echo that sentiment. I mean, I'm proud to be English and that - I wouldn't want to come from anywhere else. But I really envied Americans today, in a good way, of course. I can't imagine ever believing in my country and its possibilities the way so many of you must do right now.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Anyone watching dude WALK DOWN THE STREET right now? Shit is bugged...

• That benediction killed it. haha

where the brown can hang around
    where the yellow can mellow
    where the red man can get ahead man
    and the white will do what's right.

so happy bush and cheney are out!!ahhhhhhhh

• my man's speech was presidential x1,000,000.
    what a presence,what a orator
    this is what this country needs right now
    someone who inspires and exudes leadership and instills confidence.
    dawn of a new day

wheres the copter taking bush? he seemed so insignificant and small in stature standing next to 44...he's already gone. although i want to think that krugman's editorial last week inspires politicians to investigate the last 8 years of white house procedures and appointments.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    LOOK AT THE SUNSET OF A NEW BEAUTIFUL DAY!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Crazy crazy day. I don't think I will ever see the national mall packed like today.

I had a seated ticket near the Capital and it was a journey getting over there. I walked from the Lincoln Memorial at around 7:30 am to the Capital. The sun was just rising over the Washington Monument.

I approached the Capital with about 500,000 people on the mall.

Got through a couple security checks for the gate I needed to go through to get to my seated section from behind the Capital. As I crossed a street, the police cut off the flow of people and I got a glimpse of the incoming Obama motorcade.

Got a bit closer to the Capital and got a nice little gleam of sunlight to hit my camera's lense.

The view from my seat.

A bit of a zoom in during the speech. It was COLD!

The crowd behind me.

At the end of everything, everyone cheering, I got a great shot of someone who climbed to the top of a fountain with an American flag.

Machine gun yo!

Awesome day though. I hope people enjoyed the ceremonies. The crowd definitely didn't show President Bush much respect and did chant the 'Na Na Na Na' song, but for the most part, people showed respect to him and all previous presidents.

• It's a new day, bye bye Bush!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    ^^^ Thanks for the pictures/report. Wish I could have been there in person too.

Still watching the CNN live feed of the parade. The Obamas must be tired as hell from being on their feet all day.

• The feelings of seeing those buildings, that city, our government...

They are the same buildings I've always known, and visited. But, they changed FOREVER today.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Live from LegoLand!

Right now I am watching the live concert.

Carrie Underwood should never try to sing like an African-American backup singer ever again. Cissy Houston she is not. She just sang "If My Heart Had Wings" and tried to do these embarrassing "soul sista-isms" that just did NOT work. I thought I heard her say, "put YO hands together"...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Carrie Underwood should never try to sing like an African-American backup singer ever again. Cissy Houston she is not. She just sang "If My Heart Had Wings" and tried to do these embarrassing "soul sista-isms" that just did NOT work. I thought I heard her say, "put YO hands together"...

Which show was this?

Which show was this?

the one that just ended around 9 PM central time...i saw it on an ABC affiliate, i dont know if the other networks broadcast this...Sting and Stevie Wonder were on it too...

• I'm feeling so good that I'm feeling Will I. Am...

Seriously, these good vibes can't last.

Which show was this?

the one that just ended around 9 PM central time...i saw it on an ABC affiliate, i dont know if the other networks broadcast this...Sting and Stevie Wonder were on it too...

That was Faith Hill and yeah she did slip into a quick Ebonics thing.
    Or she could just be Southern.

Jay-Z was terrible

• Jay-Z was terrible

Throw. Your. Lighters. Up.

Which show was this?

That was Faith Hill and yeah she did slip into a quick Ebonics thing.
    Or she could just be Southern.

Southern, hell - whether it was Faith or Carrie, she sounded pretty f*cking bogus.