Yo!1! Brazil Tudo Bem

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I'm in Porto Alegre, Brazil. It is pouring rain right now but I'm gonna hit some market that purportedly has some records in a little bit with my homegirl/guide Leticia.Right now the Sheraton internet hook-up is what's up. I can communicate with the world aka soulstrut. I don't get CNN here but only Fox News (huh?) but at least I'll get to watch the inauguration. My wife is at work now. I am going to drop a(nother) deuce and read some more of my book. Then I'm going swimming in the pool.I am not in Rio or Sao Paolo but way down south in Gaucho territory. The people are still beautiful and hella nice and it's like 90 degrees so it beats the hell out of NYC for the time being. And the grilled meat is off the chain.Say some prayers for me maybe I can find a couple nice records. I don't think this part of the country is very fertile in that department. But who knows. Looking at some of the prices on the stores' websites I should've brought some like $1 bin David Bowie and Stones and BTO records to trade. Them shits be like 40 reais down here!Obrigado! (that is the only word I know in Portuguese...)

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Jonny

Hope you and wife have a nice stay at Porto Alegre
    and the gauchos treat you very well.
    Ask Leticia about the "Feira do Bric" or something
    like that. It's a fleamarket that is on Sundays at a
    famous city park.

Good luck!

I'm in Porto Alegre, Brazil. It is pouring rain right now but I'm gonna hit some market that purportedly has some records in a little bit with my homegirl/guide Leticia.

Right now the Sheraton internet hook-up is what's up. I can communicate with the world aka soulstrut. I don't get CNN here but only Fox News (huh?) but at least I'll get to watch the inauguration.

My wife is at work now. I am going to drop a(nother) deuce and read some more of my book. Then I'm going swimming in the pool.

I am not in Rio or Sao Paolo but way down south in Gaucho territory. The people are still beautiful and hella nice and it's like 90 degrees so it beats the hell out of NYC for the time being. And the grilled meat is off the chain.

Say some prayers for me maybe I can find a couple nice records. I don't think this part of the country is very fertile in that department. But who knows. Looking at some of the prices on the stores' websites I should've brought some like $1 bin David Bowie and Stones and BTO records to trade. Them shits be like 40 reais down here!

Obrigado! (that is the only word I know in Portuguese...)

• yo Edson!

I will miss that market unfortunately. I got here around 3 pm yesterday and will be leaving Wednesday evening. Still, there is a city market with a record stall and also the several shops you sent me on that list... some of them seem to stock used LPs (although, like I said, they seem to be primarily concerned with Beatles and Pink Floyd and such).

We are staying by this huge public park along Avenida Goethe (!) where we went walking yesterday. Beautiful sculptures, a windmill, lots of places for the youth to play and as we strolled through jacaranda and hibiscus a bunch of guys just sat down on a bench with some drums and banjos and started singing and playing old sambas... we sat and watched them for a while. So nice! It felt like the whole city was out in that park and I couldn't remember even Central Park in Manhattan ever feeling like that. It was really cool.

mmmmmm Caipirinhas.

• Hey Jonny! Have an amazing time, and congrats on being married!!! It's been forever since I've spoken to you, hope you are doing great! : )

• Hey Lily! Thanks, I'm sure we'll catch up soon. Hope you are well and civilizing LA for the rest of us!

• L.A. is great....full of scenester hippies, I fit right in....

Shame you can't stay longer and enjoy the city properly.
    Hope you can find some goodies on those places.

Be careful with the caipirinhas, though.

yo Edson!

I will miss that market unfortunately. I got here around 3 pm yesterday and will be leaving Wednesday evening. Still, there is a city market with a record stall and also the several shops you sent me on that list... some of them seem to stock used LPs (although, like I said, they seem to be primarily concerned with Beatles and Pink Floyd and such).

We are staying by this huge public park along Avenida Goethe (!) where we went walking yesterday. Beautiful sculptures, a windmill, lots of places for the youth to play and as we strolled through jacaranda and hibiscus a bunch of guys just sat down on a bench with some drums and banjos and started singing and playing old sambas... we sat and watched them for a while. So nice! It felt like the whole city was out in that park and I couldn't remember even Central Park in Manhattan ever feeling like that. It was really cool.

mmmmmm Caipirinhas.

• If you see any records by a guy named Tim Maia please grab them for me. I hear he's kind of funky and that you can find his LP's for real cheap down there.
    Have a caipi for me. Congrats!

• yo johnny what up! U r in Minas Gerais a bit south...that's the state of where ex's parents live. Minas is also the area where they make the OG cachaca to make the REAL caipirinhas!!! enjoy dude cause the eye candy especially in Minas is unbelieveable...i know your married....hahaha

amir

• ^^

Amir!!!
    Whaddup dude!!!??
    How is your move going ???
    We should put you know what on blast on Soulstrut! 'now mug' related.
    Cheddar smack,
    Abby

• And hi Jonny!
    Have an amazing trip and come back with armfuls of records!

And hi Jonny!

And please to leave some for the local diggers.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Good stuff my man... makes me wanna go back. Come back with the heat!

• Yo, ABBY!!!! what the deal I didn't know you were on here..that's def what up! My move is slow right now don't have the loot tryin to save so I can move at the end of March...tryin to stay in the same neighborhood. anyway, u can put me on blast...me too shy to do it...hahahaha

be well,

amir

• And hi Jonny!

hahaaa..For real!!The gringos have driven up all the prices,com certeza!!wuddup Moogman..I'm saving up to move to Sampa..stay tuned,falo-p

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I be yealous, mang. Have fun!

(Spelunk is down there as well. Try hitting him up if ur around Rio at all)

And hi Jonny!

hahaaa..For real!!The gringos have driven up all the prices,com certeza!!wuddup Moogman..I'm saving up to move to Sampa..stay tuned,falo-p

Hi P**lo. What's up, man?

To where you gonna move? Jardins?

• To where you gonna move? Jardins?

yeah I think so because a family friend said she has a maids apartment she could rent me for cheap next to her place..

To where you gonna move? Jardins?

yeah I think so because a family friend said she has a maids apartment she could rent me for cheap next to her place..

Cool!

Hope all goes well with your moving.

• Yo!

My first real day in Brazil, it rained cats and dogs... power was out through about half of the city. I went to two shops and the first one had no lights... lots of vinyl, nice prices... unfortunately condition was revealed to be pretty marginal when i got back to the hotel. Thankfully the next place I went had lights and I got it in on some nice titles for the shop and a few for myself. Nothing too crazy but well worth the time and effort. Unfortunately Citibank doesn't have relations with the Brazilian banks (wtf??) so I had to put mad shit on hold until tomorrow when I can come back with my bread. And I've got two more spots to hit after that.

Later I retired to the bar and downed a couple Caipirinhas with my hostess (yes, she's fine, yes she's got like 2 phds, yes, she's taken strutteurs!).

Then I went down into the favela and got some churrasco for real. Man I have never seen so much meat Mad food, I got brought up on the stage for the Gaucho dance performance and held it down while some guy swung balls at my head again

The women here are so goddamn beautiful. I'm a married man but I can appreciate, you dig??

Obrigado Brazil! Mwwwwwah

• yo jonny, you gotta try some feijoada..it is a traditional afro-brasilian slave dish. it's mostly pork i don't eat pork but i have heard from ex and her mom that it is the bomb. also coxinha is the truth as well. oh by the way, my ex just corrected me..u ain't in minas...lol! you're way south

be safe,

amir

• Yo, ABBY!!!! what the deal I didn't know you were on here..that's def what up! My move is slow right now don't have the loot tryin to save so I can move at the end of March...tryin to stay in the same neighborhood. anyway, u can put me on blast...me too shy to do it...hahahaha

be well,

amir

oh it's on Amir, I am so putting you on blast.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i was going to bring some records around the way but glad i saw this thread first yesterday. have a blast down there, and not to be all nerd foodblogger on you, but poast some pictures of that beach and bbq for us freezing up here.

• I thought feijoada was beef and black beans? Anyway, a bit overrated. The fresh fruit was my favorite foodie part of Brazil. Porto Alegre had some records too, scored a Toni Tornado plastic bag pic sleeve 7" for a nice price.

• nah that dish is like SUPER pork dish and heavy as shit!! the legend goes that it was all the parts of the pig the slave master didn't want or considered wack he gave to the slaves to eat. they flipped shit around and made a bangin' ass dish. sort of like how slaves in the american south came up with 'soul food.' well, everyone i have told to try it loves the dish...for me I love coxinha with brahma ( the real brahma not the sweet american version)!!!! ummmmm delicious...

amir

• nah that dish is like SUPER pork dish and heavy as shit!! the legend goes that it was all the parts of the pig the slave master didn't want or considered wack he gave to the slaves to eat. they flipped shit around and made a bangin' ass dish. sort of like how slaves in the american south came up with 'soul food.' well, everyone i have told to try it loves the dish...for me I love coxinha with brahma ( the real brahma not the sweet american version)!!!! ummmmm delicious...

amir

i got some feijoada at the brazilian joint here in town the other day and it came with some greens on the side and then this stuff that was like corn meal...? is that right? i had no idea what it was but I threw it in the mix and it was fantastic.

was it corn meal? and if so, does it have a name? and is there a name for the greens that usually accompany this stuff in brazilian cuisine?

nah that dish is like SUPER pork dish and heavy as shit!! the legend goes that it was all the parts of the pig the slave master didn't want or considered wack he gave to the slaves to eat. they flipped shit around and made a bangin' ass dish. sort of like how slaves in the american south came up with 'soul food.' well, everyone i have told to try it loves the dish...for me I love coxinha with brahma ( the real brahma not the sweet american version)!!!! ummmmm delicious...

amir

i got some feijoada at the brazilian joint here in town the other day and it came with some greens on the side and then this stuff that was like corn meal...? is that right? i had no idea what it was but I threw it in the mix and it was fantastic.

was it corn meal? and if so, does it have a name? and is there a name for the greens that usually accompany this stuff in brazilian cuisine?

That corn stuff is called farofa and the greens are couve

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Photos plaese

amir

That corn stuff is called farofa and the greens are couve