The End of White America?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I was too busy putting mayonaise on my sandwich to read it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    It was a legitimate read until it started referencing Sean Puffy Combs.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i think it's interesting they have a faux kara walker illustrating the article.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'll read it as soon as this "Friends" marathon is over.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And kiss your Asian wife.

I can't offer much resembling an objective opinion since the author is one of my closest friends. What I can say is that the hate mail he's gotten has been I>hilarious[/i]. White Supremacists are massively asshurt.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    And kiss your Asian wife.

• asshurt

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    All I know is that this is good news. I've been dying to be "special". Here's my chance!

• All I know is that this is good news. I've been dying to be "special". Here's my chance!

YES! now it's our turn to 'fight the power'

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    i think it's interesting they have a faux kara walker illustrating the article.

I thought that was the wittiest thing about this mildly terdish piece.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Don't the (largely white) top 5 percent still have like 60 percent of the wealth, though?

• Yeah, that piece was filled with so much stupidity.

I especially enjoyed Puff referring to himself as a "Great Gatsby." What a dumbass.

• Don't the (largely white) top 5 percent still have like 60 percent of the wealth, though?

Can Culture be accurately measured economically?

I especially enjoyed Puff referring to himself as a "Great Gatsby." What a dumbass.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Unrelated, no offense whatsoever and out of curiosity, why do you post under two screen names? It's on some Chance Gardner schizo tip.

• you sure response isnt related?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Don't the (largely white) top 5 percent still have like 60 percent of the wealth, though?

Ask a South African.

• Personally I don't care because I have never been all that white anyway.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Culture in the broadest sense of the word encompass economics, but no, economics alone can't fully measure or explain all aspects of culture. But since so much of one's life is directly and indirectly affected by (and/or devoted to) economic activity, it's a very important component to take into account when talking about culture, I would think. I get the writer's general point, though, and I think the apparent shift that's been taking place in the U.S. is great--I just hope that it will be reflected as strongly in the distribution of wealth as time goes on.

Please. It uses NASCAR statistics, the Blue-Collar Comedy Tour, and characters from a book as evidence of white anxiety.

I could care less about the diminishing hegemony of white people.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Although the article only briefly touched on politics, I think it was an interesting analysis of how mainstream white culture is being eclipsed. It was discussed in the pbs Lee Atwater documentary how much of the republican position over the last couple decades has been coded racial attacks on Democrats wanting to give your money to "them". The fact that, after a lot of success with that strategy, it failed so miserably this time seems like a real step forward, especially considering Obama's race. I do think stuff like 'blue collar comedy' is a direct response to the changing cultural demographics this article discusses, and I think these feelings of powerlessness are very prevalent in many places...

Also, I don't know why people need to attack an article discussing changes in mainstream culture by pointing out how mainstream the cultural references are.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I was too busy putting mayonaise on my sandwich to read it.

A sandwich with bread made by Bimbo

• Also, I don't know why people need to attack an article discussing changes in mainstream culture by pointing out how mainstream the cultural references are.

Maybe because his mainstream references are completely stupid?

Also, I don't know why people need to attack an article discussing changes in mainstream culture by pointing out how mainstream the cultural references are.

Oh wait, you are.

• Also, I don't know why people need to attack an article discussing changes in mainstream culture by pointing out how mainstream the cultural references are.

Oh wait, you are.

Of course I am!

According to the writer, being white today boils down to either rejecting one's non-culture -- the choice of the middle-class liberals, evidently -- or immersing one's self in WASP culture or working-class culture.

• Options
    According to the writer, being white today boils down to either rejecting one's non-culture -- the choice of the middle-class liberals, evidently -- or immersing one's self in WASP culture or working-class culture.

...minimum

But hip-hop???s deepest impact is symbolic. During popular music???s rise in the 20th century, white artists and producers consistently ???mainstreamed??? African American innovations. Hip-hop???s ascension has been different. Eminem notwithstanding, hip-hop never suffered through anything like an Elvis Presley moment, in which a white artist made a musical form safe for white America. This is no dig at Elvis???the constrictive racial logic of the 1950s demanded the erasure of rock and roll???s black roots, and if it hadn???t been him, it would have been someone else. But hip-hop???the sound of the post- civil-rights, post-soul generation???found a global audience on its own terms.

Who other than P-Diddy/Bling Era whould have been a better reference for describing Hip Hop's globalization?

• Globalization? I thought we're talking about America.

Snoop and Dre had more influence on people my age (26) if we're talking about bringing hip-hop to white Americans. Were they mentioned in the piece?