Eccentric Soul Revue

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Such a great show. Highlights included Nate Evans' stunning love songs, Renaldo Domino's pimp-nerd steez, Syl Johnson's drunken pelvic-thrusting and chill-inducing harmonica solo, and the pure energy on the encore version of Move On Up.

Syl was so energetic during "Move On Up" (sung by the entire cast) that he came in a beat too early...but it was alright. Like my friend Aaron sez, the whole show up to then had been El Perfecto, so if Syl wants to "weird out" on the last song of the night, let 'im!

• dmadma 36 Posts
    We flew out from Cali to review this (no one's gonna pay us to, not ballin like that!) but it was more than worth it.

The performers were amazing--old musicians, big smiles. Syl was drunk as F*ck, Renaldo is a pint-sized madman, and the band were galloping workhorses ALL NIGHT. Everything was mad murderous.

Bravo to Ken and the crew for always bringing pure class.

• Syl was drunk as F*ck

I thought so too but later found out that he was whylin' out to that degree the entire day, throughout rehearsals and everything.

Syl was drunk as F*ck

I thought so too but later found out that he was whylin' out to that degree the entire day, throughout rehearsals and everything.

Having met the man in passing, in different situations, I think that's just the way he is, period, whether 10 in the morning or 11 at night. Liquor ain't got nothing to do with it - matter of fact, I remember once talking to him right after he released a CD on the Antone's label. He bitched loud and long about the fact that the label put a picture of an empty whiskey bottle on the disc (not the cover). As he told it to me, he was an avid churchgoer and an upstanding figure in his community, so the whiskey bottle misrepresented him. But it was a lot more exciting the way Syl told it!

• dmadma 36 Posts
    Syl was drunk as F*ck

I thought so too but later found out that he was whylin' out to that degree the entire day.

Hahaha, niiiiiiice. Dude was hilarious either way. How smooth was Renaldo? And how dope was the part when the Notations were introducing eachother at the end? Oh man, good times Chicago, good times.

It was so nice to see a soul show where the shit came off RIGHT. No moonlighting blues guitarists throwing power chords where they didn't belong, no bass players popping with their thumbs, no synths, and when one of the backup singers (forget her name) had her solo spot, she wasn't overdoing the melisma ala Mariah Carey or the females on American Idol.

I saw a soul show some years back where both Mavis Staples and Otis Clay were saddled with bad "blooze" bands backing them up, so it was good to see J.C. Brooks & the Uptown Sound playing behind Renaldo, Syl, etc. like they had half a clue.

• It was so nice to see a soul show where the shit came off RIGHT. No moonlighting blues guitarists throwing power chords where they didn't belong, no bass players popping with their thumbs, no synths, and when one of the backup singers (forget her name) had her solo spot, she wasn't overdoing the melisma ala Mariah Carey or the females on American Idol.

I saw a soul show some years back where both Mavis Staples and Otis Clay were saddled with bad "blooze" bands backing them up, so it was good to see J.C. Brooks & the Uptown Sound playing behind Renaldo, Syl, etc. like they had half a clue.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    For those that missed out:

Ronaldo_Domino from ben poster on Vimeo.

Renaldo Domino killed it.

• this concert was the shit, i was especially digging the notations, glad i made the trip to see this