Eccentric Soul Revue

TNGTNG 234 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I know, I know, wrong spot for the post. Should be in announcements. And yet, no one reads announcements with any frequency and I thought I could pull a fast one on RAJ (Boscoe trade if you keep it here, dude). Check the poster (SS' own Mike Davis designed):Why the urgency? Well, Ticketshitter is putting the thumb on our site sales as of midnight. If you want to attend, and you don't want to pay $10 in service fees, jump on it here:Eccentric Soul Revue

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I read this on the website a while back. Things like these really make me wish I was an international jet setting millionaire able to fly any place in the world on a whim. I hope someone takes some awesome photos. Shoot, I'd buy a DVD of this in a heartbeat.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    When is LA gonna get a taste?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    nice flyer

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• I'm takin a steamboat up the Mississippi for this one!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    When is LA gonna get a taste?

.....and if it did, how many LA strutters would support it?

Does Syl Johnson ever go on the road?

I know he's still on his grind, so I could see him hitting
    up a jazz club circuit like Etta James does. If he doesn't,
    he should.

• Does Syl Johnson ever go on the road?

he should.

he's played Ponderosa Stomp a couple times...but that's a little different, just a one-off gig, not really going on the road.

but does that count?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

he should.

Maybe not the jazz circuit, but definitely the blues circuit...I don't know if he's been travelling much lately, but at least here in Chicago he's made the occasional stab at the blues clubs with mixed results...I've seen him do entire sets of 12-bar shuffle blues, but he's no better or worse than the rest...I'd rather hear him do the funky soul thing.

he should.

Maybe not the jazz circuit, but definitely the blues circuit...I don't know if he's been travelling much lately, but at least here in Chicago he's made the occasional stab at the blues clubs with mixed results...I've seen him do entire sets of 12-bar shuffle blues, but he's no better or worse than the rest...I'd rather hear him do the funky soul thing.
    He's either just been or just about to play Australia, so that's kind of on the road. Tried to get him to New Zealand when Australia was announced last year but he/his people wouldn't have a bar of it.

• See you folls in Chicago!

On Soulsource they're complaining that the backing band chosen for this is terrible. Some people are never happy.

• On Soulsource they're complaining that the backing band chosen for this is terrible. Some people are never happy.

Ceci ne casse pas des briques.

Ouch.

Syl Johnson backed by XTC?

Maybe not the jazz circuit, but definitely the blues circuit...

Well, unfortunately, in Boston it's the same thing for the most part.

You Chicago dudes are spoiled with that shit.

The spot I was thinking of where Etta James will play will be like
    Al Green one night, Cecil Taylor the next, David Sanborn for a week
    after that. Pretty bland place, too, very tourist-oriented.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    On Soulsource they're complaining that the backing band chosen for this is terrible. Some people are never happy.

All I can say is, I was at the first rehearsal the other night and the band was really tight. Say what you will about the Uptown Sound's original songs/ live show, but trust me when I say this is way different. In addition to their rhythm section, we've added horns, strings, percussion, keys, and backing vocalists.

Check the blog for a sip of the juice: www.numerogroup.wordpress.com

• BUMP.

See you dudes in Chicago!

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I'm about to get on a Chicago-bound plane with my boys D. Ma and Overflo. We're gonna spend the weekend checking out records, drankin, and hit the show on saturday night. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet a few of you out there. Really looking forward to it.

• I bought tickets to LA before I heard about this. Definitely sucks to be missing out.

Enjoy it, I can't wait to see some pics or youtube of the event itself.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    A cool 36 hours before doors open and I'm in the middle of will-call hell. If you've got tickets, come early, as there will be about 400 people waiting in line with you. We've got a nifty slide show of Chicago nightlife in the 70s playing from 730 to 9. Curtain goes up at 9.

The rehearsals for this have been truly amazing as we watch people like Renaldo Domino find the magic again after all these years, and the Uptown Sound grow from soul-punk and to full-throttle orchestra. Seriously, the band has swelled to 16 pieces, including four horns and two strings.

Those in Chicago can watch the Notations on WGN's midday news show at noon. If there's anyone still on the fence, check out the rehearsal Chicagoist filmed on Tuesday night:

http://chicagoist.com/2009/04/01/first_look_eccentric_soul_revue.php

Alright, that's enough hype. See you there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

If there's anyone still on the fence, check out the rehearsal Chicagoist filmed on Tuesday night:

I just got goosebumps watching that. seriously.

Alright, that's enough hype.

No. It is not nearly enough.

Wish i could fly over for this.

• I just got goosebumps watching that. seriously.

A new Day is my Jam. So sad im missing this.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Wish I could make it out for this (read: wish someone would pay me to fly out to review this)

Please film for DVD release so that those of us stuck over on the other side of the world may enjoy......

• This was incredible. Super well organized, great venue, great sound, all of the singers and musicians were on point, Syl Johnson's swagger was on 100,000 trillion. Photos and video coming later today.

M

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Such a great show. Highlights included Nate Evans' stunning love songs, Renaldo Domino's pimp-nerd steez, Syl Johnson's drunken pelvic-thrusting and chill-inducing harmonica solo, and the pure energy on the encore version of Move On Up.

Had great digging luck at Peabody's on the south side. Dudes at dusty groove were mad cool. Harold's lived up to the legend, Giordano's to a lesser extent.

Thank you Numero Group, great project, great presentation. Mike, love the poster. Carried that ish through two airports just to make sure it got home without a ding.

Photos and further reflection on nerdtorious in the next few days.

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts
    Such a great show. Highlights included Nate Evans' stunning love songs, Renaldo Domino's pimp-nerd steez, Syl Johnson's drunken pelvic-thrusting and chill-inducing harmonica solo, and the pure energy on the encore version of Move On Up.

Had great digging luck at Peabody's on the south side. Dudes at dusty groove were mad cool. Harold's lived up to the legend, Giordano's to a lesser extent.

Thank you Numero Group, great project, great presentation. Mike, love the poster. Carried that ish through two airports just to make sure it got home without a ding.

Photos and further reflection on nerdtorious in the next few days.

The highlight for me was the Renaldo Domino performance. I was also really impressed with the Uptown Sound. I've seen the band several times, and their sound took on a new life with the added horn and string sections.

• I just put up some photos and video on our blog:
    http://burlesquedesign.com