Any Nick Drake fans here?

13»

Comments

• thanks i just made it up!

• You're welcome, it shows. By the way, who says I was listening to Nick Drake on Tuesday? I think you've got me confused with somebody else buddy.

• Hey Vh1 called they want you guys to be on a panel comparing Nick Drake and Elliot Smith, it's for a new production called "Behind the Douches"

hahahaha

no really though, Donovan's vocals remind me a lot of Nick Drake. I don't get the Elliot Smith thing....haven't we beat this topic into the ground yet?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hey Vh1 called they want you guys to be on a panel comparing Nick Drake and Elliot Smith, it's for a new production called "Behind the Douches"

hahahaha

no really though, Donovan's vocals remind me a lot of Nick Drake. I don't get the Elliot Smith thing....haven't we beat this topic into the ground yet?

What 'thing' are you referring to?

Madonna, when asked what song of the last 20 years she wishes she'd wrote, replied Elliott's 'Between the Bars'. So I guess that settles the whole who's better Elliott or Drake discussion.

I find it ironic that Lilywhite was sweating Bambouche's jock so hard earlier that he made a man crush thread about him. From what I've heard Bam's an Elliott fan.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ^ Dude.

When you're done instigating, I need to know how well you know the Mississippi Records folks.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Who me? Instigating?

Madonna>Elliot Smith>Nick Drake>Ornette Coleman>Minutemen>Fugazi>Mendelsohn>Steven Halpern>Al Pacino>Avocados>French New Wave films (excluding 400 Blows)>Dying of cancer.

• Hey Vh1 called they want you guys to be on a panel comparing Nick Drake and Elliot Smith, it's for a new production called "Behind the Douches"

hahahaha

Madonna, when asked what song of the last 20 years she wishes she'd wrote, replied Elliott's 'Between the Bars'. So I guess that settles the whole who's better Elliott or Drake discussion.

I find it ironic that Lilywhite was sweating Bambouche's jock so hard earlier that he made a man crush thread about him. From what I've heard Bam's an Elliott fan.

Okay dumbass, maybe you'd know what "thing" I was talking about if you'd read the first five pages of this thread, where I said that I like elliot smith. The "thing" being the comparison that went on for five pages. Second, a "man crush?" That's a big assumption to make considering first that I'm not a man, and second that I know Bam and his wife in real life. I'm sure we disagree on tons of music, what is "ironic" about that? Uh gee if Bam likes it, then I guess I should like it too, huh? Or better yet, if Madonna likes it then, duh, it must be good. Topic settled....Madonna likes it, over and done.
    Maybe you should stick to what you know and go crawl up some other strutters asses to try to "hear" what kind of music they like these days since you can't seem to decide for yourself what good music is without an outside opinion. Dude, I hear Johnny Paycheck's a big Frampton fan you better hustle and get on that...

I have a very hard time even believing that you're serious with this kind of post...

• I bought the Fruit Tree box around 1996 (although I had the Island Bumpers comp feat. Hazey Jane a few years before that but strangely it didn't standout) and I only heard Smith when XO came out...1998? Personally Drake has never reminded me of Smith musically, as much as I like them both.

When I first heard I Was Made To Love Magic it sounded very much like a Donovan track to me. Can see why it was left off Five Leaves.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hey Vh1 called they want you guys to be on a panel comparing Nick Drake and Elliot Smith, it's for a new production called "Behind the Douches"

hahahaha

Okay dumbass, maybe you'd know what "thing" I was talking about if you'd read the first five pages of this thread, where I said that I like elliot smith. The "thing" being the comparison that went on for five pages. Second, a "man crush?" That's a big assumption to make considering first that I'm not a man, and second that I know Bam and his wife in real life. I'm sure we disagree on tons of music, what is "ironic" about that? Uh gee if Bam likes it, then I guess I should like it too, huh? Or better yet, if Madonna likes it then, duh, it must be good. Topic settled....Madonna likes it, over and done.
    Maybe you should stick to what you know and go crawl up some other strutters asses to try to "hear" what kind of music they like these days since you can't seem to decide for yourself what good music is without an outside opinion. Dude, I hear Johnny Paycheck's a big Frampton fan you better hustle and get on that...

I have a very hard time even believing that you're serious with this kind of post...

Your sarcasm meter need servicing.

As Luck diligently pointed out, I was just goofing, which should have been painful obvious from my comments about Madonna's thoughts on the subject.

So you don't get why some people conflate two talented finger picking singer songwriters who died young. This is an honest inquiry, no sarcasm.

Lastly, my apologies to you on the man-crush mix up. I'll call Paychex about the pending 'I'm In You' re-release right away.

BTW is your name at all a reference to the Cat Steven's song? If so, props.

hahahaha

Your sarcasm meter need servicing.

As Luck diligently pointed out, I was just goofing, which should have been painful obvious from my comments about Madonna's thoughts on the subject.

So you don't get why some people conflate two talented finger picking singer songwriters who died young. This is an honest inquiry, no sarcasm.

Lastly, my apologies to you on the man-crush mix up. I'll call Paychex about the pending 'I'm In You' re-release right away.

BTW is your name at all a reference to the Cat Steven's song? If so, props.

No it's not a Cat Stevens reference, and I'll take a pass on the props, Son, but thanks anyway

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

I don't quite know what's the fusk with this, but let me clear a few things up:

• I love whjiterillie to death. She is to mines what real hell is to an imaginary paradise. That is to say, she's really, rilly real. I'm not good with eloquence, so, I'll offer this quote from Lord John Worsdworthy in place of anything more I can say, as I think it sums up my thoughts on the LilyWhite Quite Nice: "Oh Lovely Pussy, My Pussy My Love, What A Beautiful Pussy You Are You Are."
    • With love, comes tenderness, mercy, compassion. If Lily were here now I would play her Zeitkratzer's ensemble performance of Metal Machine Music, because, rilly, what could be meta? First, Lou Reed makes one of the most misunderstood records in history. Then, thirty years after the record was pulled off the shelves and put in the chipper, Kreiger transcribes it; every tick, every wail, every cacophonous caterwauling din, and presents it as an orchestra to a theater of boobs. Personally, I love Reed's MMM, and when I heard about this I thought it was kind of stupid. But after I listened to it, something happened. Much like Reed's original, I was enchanted by the dense minimalism, or what Reed himself calls, "gutter rock." What I love about Lily is her ability to think for herself. Her ability to articulate why she likes something. Her ability to argue its merits. Her thoughtfulness in listening through the sound to the thing(s) that fomented the author to create the sound. I think Lily understands what Sch??nberg meant when he said, "These pieces can only be understood by those who believe that sound can say things which can only be expressed through sound." All that is to say, engaging her about music is all about reflecting and reconciling my thoughts about the particular work. As to whether we like the same artist or not... who gives a shit? That's not the point.
    • Soulstrut is great for acquiring music. As far as inquiring (the investigation of the acquisition) goes, I often feel a bit Polly-esque. File Under: Great Figging Revealed
    • Open Letter to WhiteLily: Thank you for breaking my heart. As to where you slept last night . . . Don't wait up for me (to come down). My New Year's Resolution was: "Socialize Less in '09", otherwise I'd say we should totally hang out and go dancing. Take me out tonight, where there's music and there's people, and they're young and alive.
    • On second thought, none of this really has anything to do with Lily. Or me, for that matter. Carry on...

With regard to Nick Drake and Elliott Smith, I like them both, I don't find any notable similarities between the two, and if pressed to say who I liked better--Nick Drake or Elliott Smith, I'd have to say Charlie Smalls.

Beauty always promises, but never gives anything. [/b]

I don't quite know what's the fusk with this, but let me clear a few things up:

• I love whjiterillie to death. She is to mines what real hell is to an imaginary paradise. That is to say, she's really, rilly real. I'm not good with eloquence, so, I'll offer this quote from Lord John Worsdworthy in place of anything more I can say, as I think it sums up my thoughts on the LilyWhite Quite Nice: "Oh Lovely Pussy, My Pussy My Love, What A Beautiful Pussy You Are You Are."
    • With love, comes tenderness, mercy, compassion. If Lily were here now I would play her Zeitkratzer's ensemble performance of Metal Machine Music, because, rilly, what could be meta? First, Lou Reed makes one of the most misunderstood records in history. Then, thirty years after the record was pulled off the shelves and put in the chipper, Kreiger transcribes it; every tick, every wail, every cacophonous caterwauling din, and presents it as an orchestra to a theater of boobs. Personally, I love Reed's MMM, and when I heard about this I thought it was kind of stupid. But after I listened to it, something happened. Much like Reed's original, I was enchanted by the dense minimalism, or what Reed himself calls, "gutter rock." What I love about Lily is her ability to think for herself. Her ability to articulate why she likes something. Her ability to argue its merits. Her thoughtfulness in listening through the sound to the thing(s) that fomented the author to create the sound. I think Lily understands what Sch??nberg meant when he said, "These pieces can only be understood by those who believe that sound can say things which can only be expressed through sound." All that is to say, engaging her about music is all about reflecting and reconciling my thoughts about the particular work. As to whether we like the same artist or not... who gives a shit? That's not the point.
    • Soulstrut is great for acquiring music. As far as inquiring (the investigation of the acquisition) goes, I often feel a bit Polly-esque. File Under: Great Figging Revealed
    • Open Letter to WhiteLily: Thank you for breaking my heart. As to where you slept last night . . . Don't wait up for me (to come down). My New Year's Resolution was: "Socialize Less in '09", otherwise I'd say we should totally hang out and go dancing. Take me out tonight, where there's music and there's people, and they're young and alive.
    • On second thought, none of this really has anything to do with Lily. Or me, for that matter. Carry on...

With regard to Nick Drake and Elliott Smith, I like them both, I don't find any notable similarities between the two, and if pressed to say who I liked better--Nick Drake or Elliott Smith, I'd have to say Charlie Smalls.

Beauty always promises, but never gives anything. [/b]

my emotions after reading this post Bam:

very scared
    shook
    flattered
    unsettled
    loving
    in awe
    very inspired
    slightly sad
    I really like the song, been making some political shit, I should give up now and throw in the towel cause yours is leagues ahead, I would say mindblowing
    terrified
    in solidarity
    compassion, empathy, understanding and recognition
    and I respect artistic license, but I can't say it feels very good to be referred to as your lovely pussy, even though I'm sure you meant it as a compliment.

I'm reminded that I've always been frightened and confused and always will be

just badchemicals i guess....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Soulstrut (and threads like this in particular) is qualitatively improved the more often cats like you two post. Thank you.

As you were...

• Bam, Aleister Crowley called. He said he wants his mojo back