Any Nick Drake fans here?

litemus5litemus5 132 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
What do you think of his music and do you feel Elliot Smith copied his style.

Comments

• What do you think of his music and do you feel Elliot Smith copied his style.

Yes, love his music, and no.

• Well, what is the difference (In your opinion) between the two because their are quite a number of similarities (and I'm not even talking about how their lives ended).

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• Well, what is the difference (In your opinion) between the two because their are quite a number of similarities (and I'm not even talking about how their lives ended).

What is this, 20-post pop school? Are you writing a paper??

• No, what is is a simple question.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HAHAHAH SO ILL.

• What do you think of his music and do you feel Elliot Smith copied his style.

Yep...traded Xingu for OG Pink Moon a couple of years back and I have yet to regret that decision.

Elliot Smith biting his steez? Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Elliott actually talked about this issue in interviews. He was pretty emphatic that he didn't end up hearing Drake's music until well after his solo career had begun. I can vouch for this assertion. I went to college and high school with him. I have his very first recorded work and even at 18 he was doing softer acoustic stuff. When I would play people his early tapes, they would tell me to turn off "that Paul Simon bullshit".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Put on that bootleg of S.G. and hear the man in a drunken stupor on 25 Early Morning Dialogue for answers...

• I like Nick Drake.

Got an unplayed Fruit Tree box set from the basement of K street records for $15.

All the two have in common is that they had soft voices, were depressed and ended up dead at a young age.
    Their styles, as songwriters and particularly as guitar players are nothing alike. Drake was a master guitarist who combined jazz and folk fingerpicking styles. He still hasn't been recognized for his skill as a musician, mainly because so many people are so eager to enshrine him as some kind of shoegazer saint.
    I enjoy them both, but Drake is light years more complicated and satisfying than Smith on his best day.

All the two have in common is that they had soft voices, were depressed and ended up dead at a young age.
    Their styles, as songwriters and particularly as guitar players are nothing alike. Drake was a master guitarist who combined jazz and folk fingerpicking styles. He still hasn't been recognized for his skill as a musician, mainly because so many people are so eager to enshrine him as some kind of shoegazer saint.
    I enjoy them both, but Drake is light years more complicated and satisfying than Smith on his best day.

That would be "navel gazing."

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I love nick drake.

I think elliot smith is nothing at all like nick.

thinking about covering fruit tree with my singer soon..

- spidey

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

also peep this Bridget St. John lp, its like the female equivalent of Drake. beautiful record.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

Eliot Smith's whole personal and music was a rip off. Sorry to dis, but this guy was a major D-Bag.
    What contributed to his "Major D-Bag" status was the fact that he bite so hard, and then went on to contradict the shit he ripped off. Pretty silly if you ask me.

As far as Nick Drake goes though, he has a few songs that are good. Especially if you are like driving through the woods in like Mass. during the fall in a volvo.
    Definite white folks music. But not in a bad way, or a negative way though.

On a side note though, both these dudes killed themselves. Pretty F'd up.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Elliott actually talked about this issue in interviews. He was pretty emphatic that he didn't end up hearing Drake's music until well after his solo career had begun. I can vouch for this assertion. I went to college and high school with him. I have his very first recorded work and even at 18 he was doing softer acoustic stuff. When I would play people his early tapes, they would tell me to turn off "that Paul Simon bullshit".

Oy Vey.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I love nick drake.

thinking about covering fruit tree with my singer soon..

- spidey

with Liz?

I'ma need a copy of that

and on the subject, I've never thought of either sounding like the other

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    No, what is is a simple question.

Wow -- never thought a Nick Drake thread would be so aggro. Then again, maybe I'm naive. This is Soulstrut and Mad Drama Teacher has made an appearance.

If anyone is selling any of the OG Nick Drakes...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Larry, I have to politely disagree with your above assertion. Elliott was an incredibly talented guitarist. In fact, that was his high school rep first and foremost, as the baddest slinger around. If you talk to musicians who played with him, they were astounded at his fluidity and speed. Check out "Southern Belle" or "Almost Over Now" for examples of his very sophisticated finger picking style. Elliott always described himself as a pop songwriter so he tended to deemphasize his chops if it didn't help the project. Make no mistake that dude could play his ass off.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Eliot Smith's whole personal and music was a rip off. Sorry to dis, but this guy was a major D-Bag.
    What contributed to his "Major D-Bag" status was the fact that he bite so hard, and then went on to contradict the shit he ripped off. Pretty silly if you ask me.

This is hilarious to those of us who actually knew him. Still, I'd love to hear more about how "he contradicted" the music he "ripped off". Sounds like this could be interesting.

Larry, I have to politely disagree with your above assertion. Elliott was an incredibly talented guitarist. In fact, that was his high school rep first and foremost, as the baddest slinger around. If you talk to musicians who played with him, they were astounded at his fluidity and speed. Check out "Southern Belle" or "Almost Over Now" for examples of his very sophisticated finger picking style. Elliott always described himself as a pop songwriter so he tended to deemphasize his chops if it didn't help the project. Make no mistake that dude could play his ass off.

I'll have to dig out the four or five Elliott Smith Lps I have and give them a closer listen. Though I never thought him a weak technician, his playing style never struck me as very complex (or at least as complex as Drake). I do like Smith a lot, though.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I'll have to dig out the four or five Elliott Smith Lps I have and give them a closer listen. Though I never thought him a weak technician, his playing style never struck me as very complex (or at least as complex as Drake). I do like Smith a lot, though.

Check New Moon, which has some remarkable guitar on it, if you don't already have it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    THE 90'S CALLED AND IT WANTS IT'S NICK DRAKE APPRECIATION BACK

• THE 90'S CALLED AND IT WANTS IT'S NICK DRAKE APPRECIATION BACK

Get back in your quonset hut with your piles of ugly sweater heartland gospel raer....

...adermy....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    PINK MOON GOT NOTHING ON THIS SHIT

• PINK MOON GOT NOTHING ON THIS SHIT

Can we expect to hear this in a Volkswagen commercial soon??

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just saw that Nick Drake doc. One tour, total failure, lived and died in his bedroom at his parents' house. Talk about the sine qua non of loner folk.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Especially if you are like driving through the woods in like Mass. during the fall in a volvo.

Haha! I didn't realize this experience was so universal that it has become an archetype with its own mandatory soundtrack, but hey???what do I know? I went to school in the woods of Western Mass. and drove around getting stoned and listening to rap.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PINK MOON GOT NOTHING ON THIS SHIT

Can we expect to hear this in a Volkswagen commercial soon??

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

This is hilarious to those of us who actually knew him. Still, I'd love to hear more about how "he contradicted" the music he "ripped off". Sounds like this could be interesting.

It's funny when people (puchito, in this case) don't know what the hell they're talking about yet assert their stance boldly.