Favorite Hendrix Bootleg/Budget Label Records

wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I am wondering what bootleg or budget label Hendrix records folks on here enjoy the most. Of course I have all the studio albums, and I have a couple budget label records, but I know there are a huge number of boots and budget label releases out there. What are your favorites?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    one of my favorites:

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's a great 6CD box set called Astro Man[/b] that was immediately pulled when Experience Hendrix said it was unauthorized. It's full of outtakes, alternate takes, alternate mixes, and is of studio quality.

Another personal favorite is Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window[/b], which was taken from a radio show but has one of the best versions of "Driving South" I've ever heard (and it's not on the official BBC discs that have come out).

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    did he every do a recording of bob dylan's "like a rolling stone" besides the time i think at montery pop or somewhere? cause he sounded great on it, but unfortunately messed up the rest of the track by forgetting the lyrics.

also anyone know where the track he did called "things i used to do" is from? i heard it on a rock radio station ages ago in a special segment where they play bootlegs, and i loved that tune (recorded it but lost the cassette)

also anyone know where the track he did called "things i used to do" is from? i heard it on a rock radio station ages ago in a special segment where they play bootlegs, and i loved that tune (recorded it but lost the cassette)

Some links of interest:
    http://www.kadu.demon.co.uk/pages/hendrix2.html
    http://www.yee.ch/~jwinter/ADisco/winter_disco_wothers_jimi_hendrix.html

There are a number of versions of "Things I Used To Do", and you may be able to find it there.

wicked, thankyou!

checking out the links...i see there's a gig where he did "tommorow never knows"?! wow id love to hear that

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    wicked, thankyou!

checking out the links...i see there's a gig where he did "tommorow never knows"?! wow id love to hear that

no you wouldnt...the only recorded version of this I have heard is from that horrible drunken session with Jim Morrison singing, its terrible

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    There's one of those Italian Grande Storia Del Rock LPs which is worth looking out for. It has 5 instrumental Jimi cuts, 6 cuts by Bob Marley & The Wailers, and then to make it interesting, they stuck a Percy Sledge track at the end of each side. Go figure.

• Check out High, Live, & Dirty. It's a shit-faced session with Jim Morrison on the vocals belting out a slurred, impromptu song titled "F.H.I.T.A." Figure out the initials for yourself. Not to mention, it's on red vinyl too.

Check out High, Live, & Dirty. It's a shit-faced session with Jim Morrison on the vocals belting out a slurred, impromptu song titled "F.H.I.T.A." Figure out the initials for yourself. Not to mention, it's on red vinyl too.

Fuck Hendrix In The Amps? Are we talking Marshall stacks? those things are kinda electric.

but for real, didnt he do a track with lennon or is that someone else? oh and is there recorded evidence of hendrix doing seargant pepper tracks? i read about when it happened, but wanted to know if there were any recordings.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i BELIEVE YOU'RE THINKING OF dAY tRIPPER ON THE rADIO oNE ALBUM, IT'S NOT LENNON THOUGH, IT'S EITHER mITCH OR nOEL. cOULDA FOLLED ME.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    i BELIEVE YOU'RE THINKING OF dAY tRIPPER ON THE rADIO oNE ALBUM, IT'S NOT LENNON THOUGH, IT'S EITHER mITCH OR nOEL. cOULDA FOLLED ME.
    I think lennon sings back up vocals, as my liner notes on my copy say "who is that singing backup?...one can only imagine"...those witty witty british

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I don't know if it's a bootleg.......but the live show where he does Sgt Pepper like 3 days after the Beatles record came out is pretty ill. Plus, it's funny when he calls out to the audience if Eric (Clapton) is out their and can he come up and tune the guitar for him.

That Jim Morrision song is on several LP's and also called Woha (or something).

All that live Europe stuff is great. Unfortuantly the sound is bad on my copy of Get Out My Life Woman so the begininng drum break is inaudible.

I have a 2 LP boot of one of his last concert and he's just shreading!!!!!

I don't know if it's a bootleg.......but the live show where he does Sgt Pepper like 3 days after the Beatles record came out is pretty ill. Plus, it's funny when he calls out to the audience if Eric (Clapton) is out their and can he come up and tune the guitar for him.

THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! so that sheit is documented? i can't remember where i read it,probably some crappy hendrix bio, all i know is yeah, something mentioned about clapton and someone from the beatles was freaked out as phuck cause the LP came out so recent. What show was this? can u order it online or something? thanks for the info!

did he every do a recording of bob dylan's "like a rolling stone" besides the time i think at montery pop or somewhere? cause he sounded great on it, but unfortunately messed up the rest of the track by forgetting the lyrics.

Yeah, Ive got this great 2 lp boot called Hendrix Live At Newport, recorded at the Newport Jazz Festival in '69. It has the best version of Like A Rolling Stone I've heard from Jimi. Its a real sloppy set. Very loose.

nice, i'l check that out

THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! so that sheit is documented? i can't remember where i read it,probably some crappy hendrix bio, all i know is yeah, something mentioned about clapton and someone from the beatles was freaked out as phuck cause the LP came out so recent. What show was this? can u order it online or something? thanks for the info!

I went to party that had the CD and that was a good 10 years ago. Saw it once in a store and like and idiot I did the whole "I'll come back for it next week" and it was gone. It's a decent boot with pics and stuff. I guess Sgt Pepper came out on a Friday and Hendrix did this show on a Sunday (or something like that).

for real huh? well thanks, at least now i know its actually in existence and not just another rock myth!

"3 days after the album came out, Jimi Hendrix opened a concert with this. McCartney and Harrison were both there, and were very impressed that Hendrix learned it so quickly."

From songfact.com

Another site said there is film of this as well.

I'll see if I can find more.

I heard it for sure and saw the CD so I know it's a fact, I just can't come up with much right now.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    What's that one with the drumbreak... Jimmy's Songbook or something??

peace.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There are actually quite a few Hendrix songs with drum breaks on those budget labels. I use to buy every single one of them, but they're all actually from just 2 or 3 sets of recordings so you get the same songs over and over and over. More confusing is the fact that the record labels changed the titles around sometimes. Anyways, here's a rundown of quite a few of the Hendrix LPs budget label and otherwise.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=4
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=5
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=6
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=7
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=8

Jimi Hendrix Breaks:

Bring My Baby Back
    Day Tripper
    Drivin South
    Fire
    Good Times
    Gypsy Eyes
    Hard Night
    Knock Yourself Out
    I Love My Baby
    Let The God Sing
    Lime Lime
    Little Miss Lover
    Night Life
    No Such Animal Part 1
    Oddball
    Red House
    Second Time Around
    Simon Says
    Something You Got
    Stone Free
    Suspicious
    Tomorrow
    Trash Man

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Jimi Hendrix Breaks:

Bring My Baby Back
    Day Tripper
    Drivin South
    Fire
    Good Times
    Gypsy Eyes
    Hard Night
    Knock Yourself Out
    I Love My Baby
    Let The God Sing
    Lime Lime
    Little Miss Lover
    Night Life
    No Such Animal Part 1
    Oddball
    Red House
    Second Time Around
    Simon Says
    Something You Got
    Stone Free
    Suspicious
    Tomorrow
    Trash Man

And the live version of "House full of mirrors" off the "Experience" OST (this comes highly reccomended, by the way. The cover of "Sunshine of your love" is real nice.

- J

I have it on DVD. A few days later, he would come back to the U.S. and perform at Monterey Pop.

I have it on DVD. A few days later, he would come back to the U.S. and perform at Monterey Pop.

Where was the concert? The only one I could find was Isle of Wright and that was in 1970. Obvioulsy the one were looking for was in 1967.

• If my memory is correct, Sgt. Pepper was in "Hendrix In The West."
    My favorites are his versions of Little Drummer Boy & Get Out Of My Life Woman.
    Can't remember album titles, as there are many. Also have acoustic demos from Electric Ladyland. Another point of interest is the isolated alien dialogue from Third Stone Fronm The Sun that is on the box set. Here is his version of Sgt. Pepper taken from a Beatles bootleg.

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1Y1DIYR9AF5GB2NQIJE43JFCFI