Trying to Get Along With a Co-worker

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It doesn't matter how good you are, if you are in charge, they will hate you.

Not true! My last job was with the head of the Branch and I loved working with her. She was tough and actually widely disliked lol (for being tough) but I thought she was always fair and treated everyone the same from temps up to the penthouse-suite types.

It's a hard thing to judge, to know where to draw the line with something intangible like attitude...to treat a shitty approach the same you would as poor performance or chronic lateness or exceeding budgets and missing deadlines. Unless the person is obviously poisoning the workplace and affecting morale, etc. how do you decide it's time for them to be warned, transferred or go altogether?

• It doesn't matter how good you are, if you are in charge, they will hate you.

Not true! My last job was with the head of the Branch and I loved working with her. She was tough and actually widely disliked lol (for being tough) but I thought she was always fair and treated everyone the same from temps up to the penthouse-suite types.

It's a hard thing to judge, to know where to draw the line with something intangible like attitude...to treat a shitty approach the same you would as poor performance or chronic lateness or exceeding budgets and missing deadlines. Unless the person is obviously poisoning the workplace and affecting morale, etc. how do you decide it's time for them to be warned, transferred or go altogether?

I agree. I mean in general, employees tend to hate on management, even when they are fair.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Yeah you're right, this has been going from about mid-November, it got better for a second but has deteriorated since then. Still I'm not saying we have to be best friends but be f*cking cordial you know.

Anyway, thanks soulstrut for hearing me out.

next time you see her walking out the break room with her lunch she just microwaved, knock it out her hand onto the floor.
    if she steps to you, puff up your chest and go WHAT

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    .....a few years back I had a similar situation as GV...a young lady was obviously pissed at me and I honestly had no idea why.....after a few weeks I called her in and said we had to work out whatever problem she had with me.....after a little prodding she admitted that she was upset and said I had deeply offended her in a meeting a few weeks before....I apologized and try to assure her that I did not intend to offend her ...then I asked what it was that offended her......she said "You told us to work smart, not hard, and that was very offensive to me"....I was shocked, I didn't understand how that statement could be a problem.....she then explained that "I am a very hard worker and that was offensive to me"....

she doesnt sound very bright

• depends what kind of workplace you have, but when someones poisoning the atmosphere, you gotta put them on fasttrack to some other place. first try to help the situation like you did...but aftr awhile, you cant be expected to suck there dick or kiss their ass.stay within bounds of protocol, but give them no slack. warning for this behavior. late today? you are on notice. etc. until they are fired. odds are they will quit or come to you in tears ready to work the whole situation out. sucks, but you cant let one debbie downer F*ck up the workplace

good luck bro

• The game is Personality Management. I equate it to coaching.

I let my underlings know this is a team effort, but I have to answer to the Head Manager. If u F*ck up or are slacking, I cant let this come down on me.

Some cats need constant cattle-proding or encouragement. Do what u gotta do to get the best out of the team.

My style is to not micro-manage but my supervisor is a str8 micro-manager.
    I try my best to inculcate his paranoia w/ my way of delegating.

Luckily the staff is really small so the personalities in the mix arent many.

I've only had to scream on a cat once.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    just bring some of the pernil leftovers in and lace her with it... and then everything gonna be all-right!!!!!!

• I'm not very good with the whole "kill them with kindness" in this instance. I tried but I felt like I was being a kiss-ass.

then what right do u have to complain about THEIR attitude?

Well, as a supervisor I'm responsible for people's hours and I want to have a record in case anybody asks. We even had a small meeting about the overtime and other issues, and I though all was cool. Not a big deal right, well SINCE THEN I've been getting the COLD shoulder and SILENT treatment. I get a hello in the morning and any unavoidable work related question. Anything requring my authority is MET with resentment.[/b]

do the math

• "You told us to work smart, not hard, and that was very offensive to me"...she then explained that "I am a very hard worker and that was offensive to me"

the hell is wrong with this person? she must be somewhat consciously aware that her efforts of hard-work will never truly compensate for her utter idiocy. when i think of oxen, it's her that i have in mind.

• do him like this dude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSQeEP2XZk&feature=related

damnit... how do you make youtube videos show up on the forum?

at least i know how to add cool faces now

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    when i think of oxen, it's her that i have in mind.

The question needs to be asked: how often do you think of oxen?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Managing people sucks.....a few years back I had a similar situation as GV...a young lady was obviously pissed at me and I honestly had no idea why.....after a few weeks I called her in and said we had to work out whatever problem she had with me.....after a little prodding she admitted that she was upset and said I had deeply offended her in a meeting a few weeks before....I apologized and try to assure her that I did not intend to offend her ...then I asked what it was that offended her......she said "You told us to work smart, not hard, and that was very offensive to me"....I was shocked, I didn't understand how that statement could be a problem.....she then explained that "I am a very hard worker and that was offensive to me"....managing people sucks.

Working in management is the equivalent of babysitting adults.

It sucks sometimes.