Seoul

mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Hi AllIll be visiting Seoul from this sat for about 8 days.Mostly work, but I should be able to get out, hit the town and maybe even look for a record or twoAny advice/recommendations?Gary?CheersMatt

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    be careful of soju. it will creep up on you like no other. it may make you fight a korean or two. have fun.

-richard

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I don't know how you are going to cram 8 days into a saturday, but I heartily cosign rkwpark!!!

I've been out of the game for a while, but are you looking for nightlife? or daytime touristy stuff? Seoul is great for both, but honestly, your best bet is to just get a tourist book. There really are a ton of great things to see and do in Seoul. I wouldn't know where to begin really...

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I don't know how you are going to cram 8 days into a saturday
    fixed

I've been out of the game for a while, but are you looking for nightlife? or daytime touristy stuff? Seoul is great for both, but honestly, your best bet is to just get a tourist book. There really are a ton of great things to see and do in Seoul. I wouldn't know where to begin really...
    well, actually no...im not really after the touristy stuff.
    nightlife and records are my soulstrut queries.
    and no worries with soju. i down the shochu and sake here in japan with the quickness.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I've been to Incheon, the airport outside of Seoul. The airport is clean and spacious and they have nice cultural crafts (or at least they did in summer 2005). Nice way to spend time while waiting for a flight. Post pictures of your record finds!

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Try the live octopus.
    I had no luck on records, but I was only there for a day.
    There was this one street though that had all this Korean arts and crafts stuff.
    Don't remember the name, but it was pretty cool if you find it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    thats right off of chongno-3ga, I can't remember the name of it but its right off of pagoda park, and yeah its a really cool place.

howdy GB.
    the live octopus is the one where the tenticles stick to the roof of your mouth, right?
    Is that a Korean thing? I thought it was a Japanese thing. Regardless, MISSION ACCEPTED.
    the arts and crafts street sounds good too. thanks.

• are you guys talking about insadong? i think that's the arts and crafty neighborhood. i have no idea about where to buy records though.

hit up the noryangjin fish market for the freshest of the fresh live octopus.

(um, and i guess, don't have sex with your daughter?)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yes Insadong! I can't beleive I forgot that one.

I guess no trip is complete without partying with the G.I.s on hooker hill in Itaewon.

Then there are all the college areas, whos names I have also forgotten, but those are cool places to hang out.

Namsan tower is a must at night. Take the tram thingy up and maybe have dinner at the top of the tower. At the bottom of that tram cable car thing is a cool area too, also cant remember the name but there are a ton of shops.

There is a subway stop that has tons of records in the underground market. I don't remember where it is though. I think it has been picked through, but I didn't really go through too much of it.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    I uploaded some pics and info about seoul last summer. I included some record info.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1180707&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

(sorry for refering you to the link)

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    The underground market that Gary mentioned is near Myoungdong. Picked clean.

Just out of curiosity - why does everyone recommend the stuff north of the (Han) river? It's good for shopping and underground clubs, but I actually prefer the nicer spots south of the river. There are some classy places around the ahpkujung / chungdam area.

As for record stores, there are a lot of tiny places that are really hard to find, but big ones are pretty rare.

thanks all. looking forward to the trip.
    ddown, great pics man. I remember your post.
    I did a search on the board for 'seoul' and 'korea' but came up with nothing.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I guess no trip is complete without partying with the G.I.s on hooker hill in Itaewon.

Then there are all the college areas, whos names I have also forgotten, but those are cool places to hang out.
    ^^^
    Yes.

Be careful of soju. That shit is the devil.

just got back, here's a few pics etc for those interested.

I went for a walk one evening with no idea where to go. Just went for a wander around.
    Found some cool markets, nice food....and then this:

I couldnt believe my luck to just stumble accross this place. it's in one of the underground shopping centers.
    I saw it from a distance at first and thought this cant be real. probably a used book store with all unreadable korean books.
    Maybe cd's and laser discs? Then I got a bit closer and saw it was the real deal.
    I found this place on Sunday evening but the problem was I had such limited time to really get stuck into it.
    Monday to Friday was a hard slog at work but I managed to get out for a few hours around lunch on Thursday and Friday, thus...the (few) finds:

below, the 3x kim jung mi on the top row are part of a box set re-issue. the knef was a letterbox find upon return:

Few more random pics. As you can see, I didnt really have a chance to take many:

This stuff was delicious. I had it for breaky one morning and the old ladies selling it had a chuckle as I spluttered due to the spiciness:

Of course, korean bbq was off the charts. so good:

more food related. here's a live octopus being boiled alive (excuse the mobile phone vid quality):

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Dog is kinda chewy and not really that good, huh?

Yeah, spot on. Wasnt really my thing at all.

...and apparently it's traditionally eaten on the hottest day of summer??
    As unappetising as it was in winter, thinking about eating it on a stinking, sweaty hot day makes me nauseous

• mattB said:
    ...and apparently it's traditionally eaten on the hottest day of summer??
    As unappetising as it was in winter, thinking about eating it on a stinking, sweaty hot day makes me nauseous

Dog days, right? Sorry...
    (going to Seoul next week and just found this old thread)

• peace, stein. . .

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    every neighborhood of Seoul looks like the next. it's weird.

also, they got 7-11

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    damn, shoulda hit me up on the Skype... get at me...

b