Drosophila - Summer in NYC issues

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
>>Drosophila melanogaster is a fruit fly, a little insect about 3mm long, of the kind that accumulates around spoiled fruit. It is also one of the most valuable of organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology. Drosophila has been used as a model organism for research for almost a century, and today, several thousand scientists are working on many different aspects of the fruit fly. Its importance for human health was recognised by the award of the Nobel prize in medicine/physiology to Ed Lewis, Christiane Nusslein-Volhard and Eric Wieschaus in 1995.I'm a vegetarian and the shit's getting in my beer can before I've poured it out. How do you kill dem all? Turn around for a minute and they're all over the place. Cunts.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    drink 40s

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Nah man, I'm hooked on these 33.8 oz Asahi Super Drys. Good shit but don't fit in a pint glass.
    Google img search for "Big Cans" surprisingly tame...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Take the trash out daily. Take recycling out daily (I'm mainly referring to beer cans). Do your dishes. Buy fruit in small amounts and keep it in the refrigerator. Put screens in your windows. Just keep a clean house and they should be gone in a week.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    don't even try to drink wine. those aren't cork filings in your glass!!!

Take the trash out daily. Take recycling out daily (I'm mainly referring to beer cans). Do your dishes. Buy fruit in small amounts and keep it in the refrigerator. Put screens in your windows. Just keep a clean house and they should be gone in a week.
    Erm, what you trying to say there?! I can't do screens, I live in a garage. Those fuckers come out the sink man.

And yeah, I just fished one out my beer mug and flicked it.

Erm, what you trying to say there?! I can't do screens, I live in a garage. Those fuckers come out the sink man.

And yeah, I just fished one out my beer mug and flicked it.

All I'm trying to say is I've had that problem before and cleaning up after myself solved it. If they're coming into your place anyway than you need to holler at your landlord.

All I'm trying to say is I've had that problem before and cleaning up after myself solved it. If they're coming into your place anyway than you need to holler at your landlord.

My landlord keeps a jammy in his pants and thinks he's Tony Soprano. His l-plate says "BADABING1". He'd laugh at me. I know what your sayin tho. Main thing is empties really.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Keep dishes clean and set flytraps like sweet sticky juice in a bottle and those hanging fly tapes.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Nah man, I'm hooked on these 33.8 oz Asahi Super Drys. Good shit but don't fit in a pint glass.
    Google img search for "Big Cans" surprisingly tame...

yeah, but homeboy has a lazy susan in his fridge just for the Asahi!

• Options

My landlord keeps a jammy in his pants and thinks he's Tony Soprano. His l-plate says "BADABING1".

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE?!?! Is it a rimmed-out white Ford Explorer? I swear I've seen that whip in Brooklyn.

My landlord keeps a jammy in his pants and thinks he's Tony Soprano. His l-plate says "BADABING1".

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE?!?! Is it a rimmed-out white Ford Explorer? I swear I've seen that whip in Brooklyn.

White Oldsmobuick SUV. That's him, He's also got a white Lex, and a white Saab. One of them has plate "Scrappy". He's in the salvage business, knows a lot of Italians.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    yOU NEED TO DUMP BLEECH DOWN YOUR SINK DRAINS, OFTEN. bARS DO IT ALL THE TIME, THATS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN KEEP UP. kEEP A CLEAN HOUSE AND DUMP BLEECH (LIKE A WHOLE BOTTLE) OFTEN, PROBLEM SOLVED.

• yeah bleach works well

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Bleach? That's tough!!! Hot water should be fine to rinse your sink drain. All eggs will be destroyed. Bleach is kinda Hot water will do the job. Bleach is kinda aggresive and toxic. You shouldn't pour half a gallon of bleach into your sink drain on a daily basis.

You should clean all fruit and vegetables right after buying it. The flies put their eggs on the peel of fruits and cleaning it will most definitely help to a large degree. You won't see the eggs, but they're there.

You can build your own fly trap. Just put some apple juice or cider vinnegar in a glass and put some dish liquid in it too. The flies will try to drink some juice (they usually can walk on the water), but the dish liquid takes the surface tension of the fluid and the flies will sink! Or put a squashed banana piece into a glass and put a funnel on it. The flies will go into the glass through the funnel, but can't go out. This way will leave you with a room odor though.

Plus make sure to clean your trashcan often and chuck away old fruit and sweet juices early.

Good luck! Those flies are annoying and yuite resistable.

So, that's bananas down the sink and bleach in a pint glass then seal all my windows and doors and drink some cider. Sweet.

Alright, thanks for all the tips guys!

So, that's bananas down the sink and bleach in a pint glass then seal all my windows and doors and drink some cider. Sweet.

Well you did ask.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Well you did ask a guy with a loc: that reads "raer fruits and animlas".