City of God's Son

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Just wondering if anyone on here had heard about this project. I'm about halfway into the download but it sounds interesting. Website's here and a direct link to the MP3 here.

Comments

• I will see this on the strength but I have no illusions: this will likely suck.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    d/l'ing now...

seems possible it could suffer from "Work Backwards From GREAT Abbreviation/Play-on-words Syndrome." Hope not. The site was nice with mouseover piano doodles and perfect narration.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    WTF is this? I'm suspect of anything that purports to be a 'new form of music, theatre, film, art' et cetera. And how is BIg in this? Has it been sitting on a shelf somewhere?

I will buy this AKA I'm a customer.

seven minutes into it = perfect jay z song, from the snippet.

I'm a sucker for the hip hop album, even when it's as obvious and forced as "HIP HOP OPERA." Rae Ghost Nas Jay Whoever else of COURSE I'll buy this...I pretend to like the Prince Paul one, for chrissakes...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this will suck.

51 minutes: Jay sounds like he's trying to catch up to the Long Good Friday beat...

...and the BIG paste-b.o.t. has no chance on it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This looks hilarious.

• I'm listening but I still don't know what this is supposed to be.

um:
    IT IS SHOWEING THAT HIP HOP RAP IS NOT A FAD AND ALSO IT SHOULD BE EXCEPTED INTO THE MAIN STREAM AS A LEGITIMATE ARTFORM AND AFRICAN DRUMS ARE AS COMPLEX AS EUROPEAN MELODIES YOU RACEST

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I probably shouldn't have posted this before I listened to it. I'm still confused as hell as to what this is. I thought there was a movie and the mp3 was a soundtrack or something but apparently the mp3 is the project? I think it's kind of like a book on tape but instead of words dude just uses songs and Joe Bataan interludes to tell the story.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Don't apologize.
    Threads like this are the grease that makes the Soulstrut machine work!

• It's part of a larger art installation so I don't think anyone component is going to work on its own. I've only seen the trailer so I can't comment on the longer stuff that's now available.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'd have to take this in at the gallery amd not online.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just went through it quick.
    It's basically what Organized Konfusion did on The Equinox LP mixed with some Black Album remix type shit plus movie dialogue.
    Bataan narrates.

Eh.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Post deleted by hemol

• It's part of a larger art installationpoop so I don't think anyone component competent is going to work on its own getting into this poop. I've only seen the trailer so I can't comment on the longer stuff poop that's now available.

• tepid

• It's part of a larger art installationpoop so I don't think anyone component competent is going to work on its own getting into this poop. I've only seen the trailer so I can't comment on the longer stuff poop that's now available.

That was a lot of wasted time to just say: "this sucks."

• i stopped caring after "hip hopera"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    who had that really shitty song called hiphopera in the 90's?was it wyclef?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    this will suck.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    tepid

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was going to post some nose-biting snarkery about this being a filmic embodiment of sampling, but I'm too old for that.

who had that really shitty song called hiphopera in the 90's?was it wyclef?

i'm pretty sure it was the entire Fugees, plus Bounty Killer...weird chorus "michael jackson brought you thriller..."

lol

don't forget BEYONCE in a SPECIAL EVENT: MTV's CARMEN- A HIP HOPERA

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ^ Sync of the month. 2:18 = moment.

Hijack question: Is it wrong to like this song? Because I'm still in that sailboat.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

That was a lot of wasted time to just say: "this sucks."

The guy with the cartoon fandom is telling me I'm wasting my time?

• That was a lot of wasted time to just say: "this sucks."

The guy with the cartoon fandom is telling me I'm wasting my time?

Was that supposed to be some kind of comeback? An avatar diss?