Barcelona

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I am heading to Barcelona for a week on the 18th (sans the missus who is NOT happy she can't go with me).I have no clue on the geography of this city - I do know that i'm staying at a hotel called the Majestic. My boy who went there a while back said there were some good record spots to hit up and i'll be talking to him real soon. Any other stutters have any info they could share?

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    antoni gaudi's 'la sagrada familia' and all his other architecture scattered throughout the city. really amazing stuff.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Nice! I just bought my ticket to BCN yesterday, but I am going in April. All the Gaudi sites are check out the Miro museum. The Gothic Quarter is pretty amazing too.

I remember the Las Ramblas area being fun.

edit:[/b] oh damn i just did a barcelona flickr search. you should do that! you'll come across pictures of places you'd want to visit

check out the view from Parc Guell

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Nice! I just bought my ticket to BCN yesterday, but I am going in April.

Hell yeah!

I've been twice for work and am going back again next month. Gotta see all the Gaudi stuff... soccer game at Camp Neu... records at Wah Wah... shots at Chupitos. There's plenty to do and the food is unbeatable.

Here are my 2 trips in pictures...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=21393335&blogID=233360952

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=21393335&blogID=375267662

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'll be there for the Bread & Butter show. I imagine i'll have 1 whole day at best to myself, so I definitely want to hit up a record store or two. I've been told about the Gaudi stuff and i'll definitely be checking for that.

• I'm going to Spain this summer, as well.

I've been told I don't need to speak Spanish by some and that they will refuse to speak English by others. What's the truth?

• definately depends on the areas.

most people we spoke to knew and spoke some english but we also stayed in an area where some people didn't- had to write down (food) orders etc....but only in the smaller more authentic joints.

• Areas of cities or areas of the country?

I suppose both, in which case, which areas of Spain will I have trouble communicating/should I avoid?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ... soccer game at Camp Neu...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    if you learned high school spanish here in the states, it will help but will be met with odd looks since barcelonians speak catalan which is a spanish dialect of some sorts. I don't know about other parts of spain however.

• Areas of cities or areas of the country?

I suppose both, in which case, which areas of Spain will I have trouble communicating/should I avoid?

I only visited barcelona so def can't speak for rest of the country but would assume it applies.
    It was really only when we hit up less touristy places/suburbs- you're still bound to come across someone who understands a lil english- and if not it still makes for rather amusing situations.

only thing i really had to adjust to was siesta. i was freaking hard trying to find food in the afternoon and then having to wait til 10 or so for dinner......apart from that- was super awesome!!