Options

Rickey elected to Hall Of Fame

edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I wonder what team he's going to represent in the Hall, he played for almost the whole damn league. Kinda looks like Eazy E in that pic.

Comments

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i think a Newark Bears hat would be a good representation of his tenacity. probably A's tho.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    no doubt it will be A's...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Maybe his rookie card will go back to being worth something again. It seemed like when he broke the record, pulled up the base out of the ground and held it over his head proclaiming "I'm the greatest", the value took a nose dive.

• From today's SFGate.com:

Hall of Fame officials have the final call on which team a Hall of Famer represents, and Rickey represented no team like the A's. He's Oakland's leader in career games, at-bats, hits, doubles, triples, walks, total bases, runs - and, of course, stolen bases.

He's GOTTA go in wearing an A's jersey. It's only right.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    From today's SFGate.com:

Hall of Fame officials have the final call on which team a Hall of Famer represents, and Rickey represented no team like the A's. He's Oakland's leader in career games, at-bats, hits, doubles, triples, walks, total bases, runs - and, of course, stolen bases.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Congrats to Rickey....greatest lead off batter ever.

I'm not feelin' Jim Rice in the HOF though.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Here I am hoping that Rickey in the subject line meant Rickey Jackson.

Why the heck not? Jim Rice was long overdue, payback from salty sportwriters who didn't think he was compliant enough.

Now, it's time to put Dave Parker in as well.

Why the heck not? Jim Rice was long overdue, payback from salty sportwriters who didn't think he was compliant enough.

It's not the Hall Of Better Than Average Players.

His numbers are not HOF worthy.

You are tripping. He was top-5 in AL MVP voting 6 different times...and even won one in 1978.

You are tripping. He was top-5 in AL MVP voting 6 different times...and even won one in 1978.

Put it into perspective vs. another Red Sox outfielder....

Jim Rice averaged 78 runs, 90 rbi's, 23 hr's and a BA of .298 over 16 years.

Manny Ramirez averaged 149 runs, 108 rbi's, 33 hr's and a BA of .314 over 16 years

Dave Parker's numbers aren't nearly as good as Rice's.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Spreading this bullshit on two boards, huh?

Please GTFOOHWTBS RE: Jim Rice.

You are a confirmed Red Sox hater, and your bias shows like a panty line in white slacks.

"Compare his numbers to Manny Ramirez"

Fool, please. Compare 80% of the Hall of Fame to Manny Ramirez for Christ's sake!

You are a confirmed Red Sox hater, and your bias shows like a panty line in white slacks.

Fool, please. Compare 80% of the Hall of Fame to Manny Ramirez for Christ's sake!

I'm putting up stats to back my opinion.......

If you think a career average of 78 runs, 23 HR's and 90 RBI's with a BA below .300 gets you in the HOF so be it....I don't.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i'd like to know who the 28 or so sports writers who did NOT vote rickey in as a first ballot HOF'er?!?!!?!?!

• Options
    :hard:

I was on the phone with a friend today who thought Rickey might have been hitting the juice later on in his career. He was a lot stockier in his later years than in that photo.

Rickey and KRS tie for widest nose.

Maybe not. Jesus, that thing is so bulbous I get hungry looking at it.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Rock about Rice being fringe-y at best. Things like being in the top 5 in AL MVP voting for 6 years doesn't mean much when that process is just as broken and convoluted as HoF balloting. It's not a travesty, considering how there are even less deserving guys already enshrined, but frustrating when more deserving guys are excluded.

I mean, dudes like this, who can't even keep their own arbitrary reasoning consistent, are voters:

http://homerderby.com/archives/2247

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Rock about Rice being fringe-y at best. Things like being in the top 5 in AL MVP voting for 6 years doesn't mean much when that process is just as broken and convoluted as HoF balloting. It's not a travesty, considering how there are even less deserving guys already enshrined, but frustrating when more deserving guys are excluded.

I mean, dudes like this, who can't even keep their own arbitrary reasoning consistent, are voters:

http://homerderby.com/archives/2247

He's from Tucson (no offense my mang Herm), so that explains it.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how Bert Blyleven doesn't get in? At least He's getting closer with 70% of the vote. If you put in Rice, what about Mark Grace? NOBODY had more hits than Mark Grace in the 90's AND he has a ring to boot.

Christ, is Ron Santo off the ballot? That's a damn travesty.

Who the hell voted for Jay Bell? JAY FREAKING BELL? Come on now.

That Tucson writer voted for Matt Williams, but Matty was named in the Mitchell report, which is the basis for him not voting for Big Mac. WTF?

Oh, what is the Strut consensus on Jack Morris?

Oh, what is the Strut consensus on Jack Morris?

I liked Morris but put him one level below HOF'er

Of those players retired and eligible in the next 5 years.....

Mark Grace, Andre Galaraga, Craig Biggio and Fred McGriff are on that same one level below HOF

Guys who I'd vote in...Greg Maddux, Mike Piazza and Bert Blyleven.

Guys who have the stats but I would not vote for...Barry Bonds, Mark Mcgwire, Rafael Palmiero, Sammy Sosa and the biggest douchebag in the history of sports Roger Clemens.

Juan Gonzalez is a guy who should have been a HOF lock if his lack of brains and steroids didn't get in the way

• I'm also on the fence with Rice. There were too many other players in the mix that are VIP past the line.

Donny Baseball
    Tim Raines
    The Hawk
    Dale Murphy
    Tommy John

Not to take anything away from Jim, great player and dope stache, but the fact that he played his entire carer in Fenway "may" play a factor in boosting some stats.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My first reaction to hearing Rice get in was YES.

Dude was like the Reggie Jackson Of The Red Sox when I was comin up. Dude had Yankee fans shook when he came to The Bronx.

Now his numbers......I'm not fam w/ his numbers against the field.

Numbers and Rings cant be the only factors?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I'm putting up stats to back my opinion.......

If you think a career average of 78 runs, 23 HR's and 90 RBI's with a BA below .300 gets you in the HOF so be it....I don't.

That's the problem with the extinction period between the last year of a hall-eligible player's career and he first ballot; the Hall Committee tends to focus solely on stats. Jim Rice was the unquestioned leader of the BoSox; yes, more than Wade Boggs or (later on) arguably more than Roger Clemens. You have to remember how Rice played the game; he consistently led by example, clutch hitting, and sundry intangibles. Rice is a prime example of why numbers are not the end-all-be-all in the Cooperstown critera. Even so, Rice's gaudy Slugging % and OPS+ rank among the best. And as good as Boggs was, he only hit more than 74 RBI twice. Rice averaged 113 RBI (prorated for 162 games) for his career. Boggs averaged a mere 67. For a man to hit so well for average yet so poorly for his teammates is certainly a deficiency.

Congrats to Jim Rice for finally receiving his due.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Apparently, for some folks they are.

Luckily for Rice, these people aren't voting.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jim Rice was the unquestioned leader of the BoSox; yes, more than Wade Boggs or (later on) arguably more than Roger Clemens.

Didnt YAZ play w/ Rice as well? I though YAZ was a leader for that era?

People saying Bert Blyleven over Jim Rice =

Jim Rice was the unquestioned leader of the BoSox; yes, more than Wade Boggs or (later on) arguably more than Roger Clemens.

Didnt YAZ play w/ Rice as well? I though YAZ was a leader for that era?

Yaz was pre-Rice....Freddy Lynn played with Rice.

Ummm...they did the last 14 years

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    From today's SFGate.com:

It's not up to the player to choose his induction team. This was decided in 2001 and was put to use in 2005 when Wade Boggs opted to wear a Devil Rays cap rather than the BoSox's Red-and-Navy. Dude sure hated the Yawkeys.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Ummm...they did the last 14 years

It's called CHANGE. OBAMAOBMAMAOBAMNANAANANANANANBNABOBANBAA.

(...or, acquiescence)

People saying Bert Blyleven over Jim Rice =

15 winning seasons as a starter and a career ERA of 3.31 is pretty unfuckwithable