Where is Sylvester Stewart?

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
..better known as Sly Stone. Is he still alive?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    He is still alive. Remember when he wanted to take us higher? Well, apparently he's there, and been there for awhile.

To be honest, his health and location is unknown, but Sony is going ahead with a box set that was announced years ago. No idea on his involvement, if anything at all.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    he lives in los angeles(i heard w/ his mom). double k of p.u.t.s. tells me hes sees him driving a gold cadillac seville sometimes. peace, stein. . .

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I gotta be honest - when Sly & the Family Stone were elected into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, he looked kinda out of it. This would have been nine or ten years ago.

• Read A Oral History of Sly and the Family Stone. Straight from Sly's brother, mom, band members etc... That dude was on top of the world and doing some crazy ass shit.

Homie is burnt out. It's a shame.

• There was a Rolling Stone article a few years ago which mentioned the web dude for a sly page was invited over to hang with him. Apparently the impression left with dude was that Sly had straightened out and was producing some quality music. Said he was waiting for the 'right time' to release it.

But yeah, last public appearance was years ago, in that turquoise leather getup. Wish he'd poke his head up and let us know what he's been up to...

ps - remember an article in VIBE in the mid 90's, reflecting on the 'crazy days' and apparently Sly's brother or someone close to him had maintained his apartment/ living space from back in the day, in full pimp mode, with thick shag carpeting and crazy furniture, now decaying and dusty. Intriguing and haunting.

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    ... but Sony is going ahead with a box set that was announced years ago. No idea on his involvement, if anything at all.

Before that drops we apparently have to take this:

Knight Ridder Newspapers BY ANNETTE JOHN-HALL, Fri, Jul. 22, 2005
    (KRT) - As befitting one of the first racially integrated bands in pop music, a diverse lineup of stars got together to record "Different Strokes by Different Folks," a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone, the Bay Area-born funk/rock conglomerate, led by one-time radio DJ Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart, 61.

According to USA Today, the disc, scheduled to drop Sept. 27, features Stone classics from the late `60s and `70s: "Dance to the Music" by William Adams of the Black Eyed Peas; "Family Affair" with John Legend, Joss Stone and Van Hunt; "You Can Make It" by Buddy Guy and John Mayer; "Sing a Simple Song" by Chuck D, D'Angelo and Isaac Hayes, and "I Want to Take You Higher" by Steven Tyler and Robert Randolph. The CD takes its title from a line in the song "Everyday People," which is reworked by Maroon 5.

The new versions were all said to be approved by the reclusive Stone himself.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Read A Oral History of Sly and the Family Stone. Straight from Sly's brother, mom, band members etc...

Everybody but Sly himself, that is.

They even talked to his "security guards," who were still alive and after 30+ years, not ashamed of all the heads they busted. The picture that book painted was not pretty, and could damn near turn you away from Sly's music for life. But it's still a compelling read, and I remain a Sly fan.

Too bad the fast living caught up with him...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Knight Ridder Newspapers BY ANNETTE JOHN-HALL, Fri, Jul. 22, 2005
    (KRT) - As befitting one of the first racially integrated bands in pop music, a diverse lineup of stars got together to record "Different Strokes by Different Folks," a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone, the Bay Area-born funk/rock conglomerate, led by one-time radio DJ Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart, 61.

According to USA Today, the disc, scheduled to drop Sept. 27, features Stone classics from the late `60s and `70s: "Dance to the Music" by William Adams of the Black Eyed Peas; "Family Affair" with John Legend, Joss Stone and Van Hunt; "You Can Make It" by Buddy Guy and John Mayer; "Sing a Simple Song" by Chuck D, D'Angelo and Isaac Hayes, and "I Want to Take You Higher" by Steven Tyler and Robert Randolph. The CD takes its title from a line in the song "Everyday People," which is reworked by Maroon 5.

The new versions were all said to be approved by the reclusive Stone himself.

That sounds like nausea in a jewel case.....yuuuuck.