Radio Canada International

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Been really getting into the releases on this label over the last few years.Have already got, amongst others, the following:SkywalkSahhik HakimNick AyoubTed MosesElectric Ninja GroupMoe KoffmanRoger SimardWhat other releases do people recommend?

Comments

• Emile Normand Sextet

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Electric Ninja Group

Sounds fresh

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    Emile Normand Sextet

One of the best releases on RCI, imo. The track "Morning" is a killer!

Some of my other favorite releases in the series...

Billy Robinson "Evolution's Blend"
    Kathryn Moses
    Ron Proby "Evian"
    Trio Pierre Nadeau
    The Music of Fred Stone
    Al Michalek Quartet "Voices"
    Pierre Leduc et Son Quatuor

So much great stuff though released in the RCI series as well as released by CBC (and not just jazz)... Mutual Understanding, Perth County Conspiracy, etc... some of the early transcriptions in plain stock sleeves are great too (although hella raer)...

• Electric Ninja Group

Sounds fresh

have one for offers...

also have Sadik Hakim and a few others...any RCI heads feel free to PM a dude

• is this label related to the "jazz canadiana series"?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Lee Gagnon... Jazzzteck is solid in the modal/cosmic vein
    I'd like to find the Ron Proby: Canada LP...pm me if ya got

• I ride for Bernie Seneneski...

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i have several several of these if anybody is interested. recently let the billy robinson go for 4 dollars. oops.

• i have several several of these if anybody is interested. recently let the billy robinson go for 4 dollars. oops.

I tried to warn you

• Yeah this series is fantastic and usually cheap. They were all the rage here about 5 years ago... maybe more (Nate?). I still listen to the copies I have in the canadian jazz section.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Yeah this series is fantastic and usually cheap. They were all the rage here about 5 years ago... maybe more (Nate?). I still listen to the copies I have in the canadian jazz section.

Emile Normand is the best.

Solome Bey has one that rips too.

These were the rage at one point.

• I still rage on them occasionally. The electric ones (ninja, michalek, proby) have the best staying value for me personally. They're just qualitatively different than US musicians and interesting for that reason. YMMV

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    There is a transcription disc (black and white sleeve, like the PCC) by Beverly Copeland with tracks not on her first LP that is absolutely beautiful Tim Buckley style psychedelic jazzy folk. Very recommended. Has anyone else seen or heard it? I have a copy and a friend of mine has a copy, but no one else I've spoken to has turned up a copy.

And if anyone has a Perth County Conspiracy on RCI please PM me. Heavy cash or trades await.

Pictured top-left here:

• rookrook 357 Posts
    A*r*n, what's the title of that copeland?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I really like the Lee Gagnon LP as well. Sadik Hakim has one great tune, "Greek Street Break-In".

I had the Nick Ayoub at some point but traded it for Jef Gilson's Malagasy...now I'd like to find a copy again, since I remember liking it a bit.

Anyone have an extra Emile Normand?

I'm pretty certain it's just self-titled. If you turn up a copy let me know. Like I said, I've seen nothing ever written about it. RCI titles, especially B&W pic-covers, are pretty scarce.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    CBC (LM series) and RCI (radio canada international) are separate labels yet two peas from the same pod (canadian broadcasting corporation)...

had the copeland-s/t (pre-GRT) for years and it RULES...
    very, very hard to find... it's not written about because hardly anybody has it... there are NO copies floating around (pressed in way smaller quantities than the RCI titles, some of which were sold commercially)...
    perth county is also on the CBC LM series (not RCI) and should run you $500 up... like the copeland, the LM disc was released before their commercial debut on columbia records of canada... same goes for hagood hardy & the montage LM (pre-CTL/GRT)... all unique material recorded for CBC broadcast-only...

a KILLER RCI (that people aren't on the nuts of) is armas maiste's "a song for all seasons"... on the folk/nature tip (thanks to contributions for quebec SSW j. corcoran)...

the CBC has a very deep catalogue that spans eras and musical styles (classical to jazz to folk to psych to EZ to whateves)...

on the CBC LM tip, i've just produced a reissue of doug randle's songs for the new industrial state (1970) for CD/digital release (the OG LP is still kicking around for under $40 via a 1971 commercial pressing on the kanata label, owned by jazz icon gene lees and producer dave bird, cop it NOW...)... out on january 27/09... beautifully arranged minor key groovy pop-psych w/ vocals from laurie bower (mutual understanding) and tommy ambrose + the creme of the toronto studio/jazz scene of the late 60s (bobby edwards, peter appleyard, guido basso, arnie chycoski, doug riley, rob mcconnell, moe koffman, bernie piltch, etc...)...

more to come...

light in the attic (http://www.lightintheattic.net/) will have a randle micro-site (w/ audio sample) up within a week or two if ya wanna peep... toronto heads should keep their ears open for a listening session for sometime in february w/ artists in attendance... here's a shot of doug from last year... total wzrdry...

I'm pretty certain it's just self-titled. If you turn up a copy let me know. Like I said, I've seen nothing ever written about it. RCI titles, especially B&W pic-covers, are pretty scarce.

had the copeland-s/t (pre-GRT) for years and it RULES...
    YES.

perth county is also on the CBC LM series (not RCI) and should run you $500 up...
    I WILL PAY.

on the CBC LM tip, i've just produced a reissue of doug randle's songs for the new industrial state[/b] (1970) for CD/digital release
    I WHOLEHEARDETLY ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT. Great record!!!! I didn't think I would be into it, but fell quite hard for it. Everything is tasteful and living, breathy and minimal orchestration in the way the best EZ/POP stuff can deliver from Canada and the world.

What's funny is that I bought a copy of this (the LP) from stop33 in Toronto and then forgot it at his house!! Luckily I was able to turn up another copy

• i wish i had more cool RCI's, but I ride hard for Kenny Wheeler Quintet for deep, electric, non-funky jazz.

here's the randle micro-site (including free MP3) of "coloured plastics" (one of the more upbeat tracks on the disc)...

http://www.lightintheattic.net/releases/dougrandle/

hope some of you check this out...
    lates for now...

on the CBC LM tip, i've just produced a reissue of doug randle's songs for the new industrial state (1970) for CD/digital release (the OG LP is still kicking around for under $40 via a 1971 commercial pressing on the kanata label, owned by jazz icon gene lees and producer dave bird, cop it NOW...)... out on january 27/09... beautifully arranged minor key groovy pop-psych w/ vocals from laurie bower (mutual understanding) and tommy ambrose + the creme of the toronto studio/jazz scene of the late 60s (bobby edwards, peter appleyard, guido basso, arnie chycoski, doug riley, rob mcconnell, moe koffman, bernie piltch, etc...)...

more to come...

light in the attic (http://www.lightintheattic.net/) will have a randle micro-site (w/ audio sample) up within a week or two if ya wanna peep... toronto heads should keep their ears open for a listening session for sometime in february w/ artists in attendance... here's a shot of doug from last year... total wzrdry...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Thanks for all the info.

An uncle of mine is currently one of the head curators at the CBC archives in TO... I'm dying to have a look, if Ken let's me...

no problem. it's DEEP. try and find salome bey's intense radio performance of randle's "martin of her mind" (one of the best tracks on "industrial state")... apparently it freaked the host juliette (blonde bombshell TV/radio personality) right out...

somehow i can see cannonical furiously typing a PM... "man, if yer uncle can get me a PCC i will give you over $500 and a club monaco sweatshirt... i'll even throw in a private press cassette that only 3 people have if it's minty..."

Thanks for all the info.

An uncle of mine is currently one of the head curators at the CBC archives in TO... I'm dying to have a look, if Ken let's me...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

a KILLER RCI (that people aren't on the nuts of) is armas maiste's "a song for all seasons"... on the folk/nature tip (thanks to contributions for quebec SSW j. corcoran)...

This one really is killer. I have an extra if anybody wants it.

The Nick Ayoub LP is probably my favourite RCI release. There's tonnes of awesome stuff on the LM series LPs that's still pretty unknown since the LM appeals were never commercially availably and there's lots of them. Maybe a project for the future!