NOLA Police shooting - WTF?

Comments

• do cops ever see jail time for these type of cases??Diallo,Dorismond and on and on..bullshit..justice obviously ain't never been blind when it comes to the police

• like frank said the other day...
    cops are public servants and need to be held to a higher standard of scrutiny and legal proceedings.

im hoping 2009 is the year that police fring 12 shots in a civilans back isnt tolerated anymore by citizens or police forces. but i doubt it

this coupled with bart is f*cking up my new year's hopefulness

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    The whole thing sounds like the cops thought it drug traffic. Black man idling in an out of state rental car in the middle of the night. Video said it was narcotics cops that killed him.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts

Did New Orleans police play a role in the grisly death of Henry Glover?

If the NOPD ever bothers to learn who set fire to Glover, the department's first step should be questioning its own personnel: a trail of clues leads right back to the police force.

I've been able to reconstruct the final hours of Henry Glover's life from interviews with two eyewitnesses. On September 2, 2005, Glover was walking with his friend Bernard Calloway behind a shuttered Chuck E. Cheese pizza place in a run-down strip mall in the Algiers section of New Orleans. Suddenly, there was a shout--"Get out of here!"--followed by the crack of a single gunshot. The bullet pierced Glover's chest.

As Glover bled, Calloway ran and got Glover's brother, Edward King, who was at an apartment complex nearby. King tells me neither he nor Calloway saw the shooter, and he doesn't know why the crime went down. But King knows what happened next: he and Calloway began desperately searching for someone with a car who could drive Glover to a hospital.

When William Tanner came rolling down Seine Street in his white 2002 Chevrolet Malibu, King rushed into the road and pleaded with him to stop. A middle-aged junkyard helper and lawn mower repairman, Tanner didn't know King or the others, but he could see Glover needed immediate medical attention. "We picked [Glover] up and put him in the car," Tanner recalls. "He was still breathing. We thought he might have a fair chance of surviving."

Tanner says he made a snap decision that the nearest hospital--the West Jefferson Medical Center--was too far away and chose instead to drive Glover to Paul B. Habans Elementary School, a public school that had been commandeered by the New Orleans Police Department tactical unit, or SWAT team, for use as a temporary base. The police, Tanner thought, would know how to help the wounded man; at the very least, they'd be able to get him an ambulance. But when Tanner pulled his car into the school's semicircular driveway, things turned out very differently: rather than rushing to aid Glover, the officers treated everyone in the vehicle with hostility, according to Tanner and King.

"They put guns in our faces," says Tanner. He suspects the police "assumed [Glover] was looting and that's why he got shot. They assumed we were looters, too."

King tells me he frantically tried to get the officers to help Glover: "I was hollering, saying, 'My brother's shot!' They handcuffed us. I said, 'You're not worrying about my brother.' They said some bad words to us and started beating us. They were beating us for twenty minutes." Tanner and King say that they, along with Calloway, were seated on a bench and cuffed while a swarm of officers punched, slapped and berated them. One of the officers bludgeoned Tanner in the face with the butt of an assault rifle, they say. "Every time I'd look up or sit up, they'd beat me," King tells me, noting that about five officers, all of them white, participated in the beating.

Meanwhile, in the back seat of the car, Glover, a father of four, was sliding toward death as blood poured from his wound, according to King and Tanner. Both men insist the officers did nothing to try to save Glover, despite his obvious injury, and both firmly believe that Glover died that day in Tanner's Chevy.

When the officers finally decided to free the men, they held on to Tanner's car, Tanner and King say. Tanner recalls one officer saying, "The car is in police custody. It's under investigation," and yanking his jumper cables, Stanley toolbox and gas can out of the Chevy, while a second officer got into the car and drove away with Glover's body slumped in the back. Poking out of a pocket on the driver's dark cargo pants were two emergency flares, Tanner remembers.

Immediately after the incident, Tanner phoned his wife, who'd evacuated to Houston. "When William contacted me he told me they'd beaten him," Catrina Tanner, a state worker with the Louisiana Department of Social Services, recalls. "He was upset. He kept telling me that I wouldn't believe what was going on, that police were killing people." She continues, "He said the police drove off [in his car] towards the levee."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Even beyond what came out during Katrina, the rest of the country still isn't even remotely close to being able to deal with what goes down in NOLA on a nightly basis.

• for real.nola is stepped in an ill mix of revelry,lawlessness and southern repression

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    we need less police taking our tax money and innocent lives.

i say job cuts on these muthafuckers...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Funding for police already went down significantly following 9/11 as cities began shifting spending priority to "national security" instead.

From a policy p.o.v., few want less police. What they want is more police accountability.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Funding for police already went down significantly following 9/11 as cities began shifting spending priority to "national security" instead.

From a policy p.o.v., few want less police. What they want is more police accountability.

I guess my post was out of disgust and anger and I really don't know what to think about lowering or raising funding for police. I mean, would either really help? There is more going on than meets the eye (obviously).

I wholeheartedly agree with more police accountability, but that entitles trust. And they have lost mine.

Such a shame.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I just saw the footage of this.... un f*cking believable.... Seriously made me physically sick.

One thing I dont understand, all the people there yelling 'thats fucked up' etc... when it happened not one person rushed the cops.... but then again that probably would have lead to more dead civilians...

I think the law should be that if you are a police officer any crime you commit you should get double what a normal person would get, due to the fact that you have breached the trust the community puts in you.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Why do you put so much weight in what least common denominator averaged out to be the opinion grade of 40-something ho-hum American Joe thinks?

Life isn't a political election, the same way it isn't a stuffy university forum.

Anyway, within the reality that the rest of live...the cops are all over the damned place now. Too many people I know have been getting pinched on the road, typically on some seriously flimsey ish. Everyone is scared to even have the smallest amount of weed in the car nowadays.

Here in Austin, they've been implementing this practice of if you refuse a breathaliser field test that they immediately take you to this portable facility where they forcibly draw blood from you.

Now, who the F*ck are the people who are welcoming this kind of crap?

Plus, people ultimately don't give a damned about accountability (which typically comes after the crime) as much as they want to see a break down of the systematic racism that encourages these crimes to happen in the first place (preventative measures).

Journalists want accountability. People want the killing to stop.

I mean, how are you going to hold someone "accountable" for doing just what their occupation dictates? Are you really looking to give these killer cops medals? For according to what their employers specifically put them on the street to do, they are doing a bang up job.

• how long before some soulstrutter brings up some suspect-ass apologist b.s.?

• Too many people I know have been getting pinched on the road, typically on some seriously flimsey ish. Everyone is scared to even have the smallest amount of weed in the car nowadays.

i know someone{cough,cough] who got busted in jersey for having 1/100th of a gram of marijuana in his car. $2000 and a two year conditonal discharge later the matter was resolved. do some real community work, fuckers!!!!!

• 1/100th of a gram of marijuana

what is that? like a speck of keef?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I just saw the footage of this.... un f*cking believable.... Seriously made me physically sick.

One thing I dont understand, all the people there yelling 'thats fucked up' etc... when it happened not one person rushed the cops.... but then again that probably would have lead to more dead civilians...

I think the law should be that if you are a police officer any crime you commit you should get double what a normal person would get, due to the fact that you have breached the trust the community puts in you.

my bad....misread the subject heading, i was refering to the Oakland shooting by the transit officer...

how long before some soulstrutter brings up some suspect-ass apologist b.s.?

The site's Ann Coulter-ish brigade does seem rather quiet post-election.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    and that's a good thing

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    In terms of potential use, is it possible that YouTube could one day be considered one of the greatest human inventions to be used in the service of equality? Think about it.

• like frank said the other day...
    cops are public servants and need to be held to a higher standard of scrutiny and legal proceedings.

im hoping 2009 is the year that police fring 12 shots in a civilans back isnt tolerated anymore by citizens or police forces. but i doubt it

this coupled with bart is f*cking up my new year's hopefulness

SRSLY, CAN'T DEAL WITH ALL THIS NOW. WTF

• 1/100th of a gram of marijuana

what is that? like a speck of keef?
    pipe with ashes

In terms of potential use, is it possible that YouTube could one day be considered one of the greatest human inventions to be used in the service of equality? Think about it.

I have but what would the actual outcomes be? In other words, what justice has youtube made possible that it otherwise would not have?

The age of videotape has possibly made some police more wary about what tactics they'll use in public. So maybe there's a few less heads bashed in or a few less shakedowns. But I don't think video or youtube has fundamentally altered the injustices brought on by a police system that, in many communities is viewed as corrupt and repressive (if not also incompetent).

But how did you see it?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I have but what would the actual outcomes be? In other words, what justice has youtube made possible that it otherwise would not have?

The age of videotape has possibly made some police more wary about what tactics they'll use in public. So maybe there's a few less heads bashed in or a few less shakedowns. But I don't think video or youtube has fundamentally altered the injustices brought on by a police system that, in many communities is viewed as corrupt and repressive (if not also incompetent).

But how did you see it?

It has already been used many times to catch and prosecute dumb asses who committed crimes, filmed them and posted them up on Youtube.

But it obviously can also be used in the same capacity against criminal police.

Didn't some idiot cop in Arkansas lose his job after a Youtube of him harrassing skateboarders got posted?

I'm not saying youtube doesn't have utility but I think you're talking about isolated examples rather than bringing about a sea change of "equality."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Agreed...I see it as a tool rather than the great equalizer.

• Hey Triple,not to get off subject but if he hadnt had the ashes would it still have been that harsh of a punishment? The punishment just doesn't in any way fit the crime, but i guess thats standard procedure over there.
    about the dude who was murdered in New Orleans, seems like the "peace" officers down there(and probably the rest of the country too) need to have their berettas switched out for stun guns.

• RIP. Let justice be done. P.S. - we had 3 more murders here in town this past weekend. The violence here is just unacceptable.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/grimes_funeral.html

• hey willie, you mean murders involving the waspys("peace officers")
    right? 3 more?!?! I'd be savin up for a kevlar vest if i lived there.

• hey willie, you mean murders involving the waspys("peace officers")
    right? 3 more?!?! I'd be savin up for a kevlar vest if i lived there.

Nah, these had nothing to do with "police violence". One was especially fvcked up though - 52 y/o killed his septuagenarian mother for drug money.

Saddest part is, everyone here is basically just used to this shit.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/man_shot_in_central_city_last.html

AND MY MOTHERF*CKIN BIKE GOT STOLEN FROM IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING I WORK IN ON FRIDAY. the thing was really shitty - no way they'll get anything more than $40 for it. what was even the point?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm not saying youtube doesn't have utility but I think you're talking about isolated examples rather than bringing about a sea change of "equality."

Well, if it's only applied to prosecution or evidence, you're right: it's intriguing but lacking in full effect due to its random or fortuitous nature. I suppose that I'm diverging from the topic at hand to address how YouTube can be used in general (i.e. to give a universal forum for anyone with a cell phone camera). This shooting is part-and-parcel of that.

Sorry for the hijack.