LA this weekend what's good

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I arrived last night and already experienced an earthquake and ran into Paris Hilton.What goes on this wknd?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I arrived last night and already experienced an earthquake and ran into Paris Hilton.

What goes on this wknd?

Dude, what else could you want besides the earthquake and Paris?

Funky Sole on Saturday has Egon back in the mix.

• I arrived last night and already experienced an earthquake and ran into Paris Hilton.

What goes on this wknd?

haha yeah what with the earthquake and Paris within 2 hrs of my arrival it was almost like someone was trying to tell me to cut my trip short and go home, nothing more to see here.

but maybe I will holleur at the boy Egon. where is this gig?

I arrived last night and already experienced an earthquake and ran into Paris Hilton.

What goes on this wknd?

haha yeah what with the earthquake and Paris within 2 hrs of my arrival it was almost like someone was trying to tell me to cut my trip short and go home, nothing more to see here.

but maybe I will holleur at the boy Egon. where is this gig?

It's at the Echo in Echo Park.

If you roll out to the neighborhood early enough (9-ish), hit up the churro truck on Echo Park Blvd, right west of Sunset.

8 churros for $3.

• I am staying (as I always do when in LA) at my holmeses house on Santa Ynez and Alvarado (close to the one Morse Code -- holleur at me dude!)...so the Echo Park jammy is exceedingly doable. Thanks for the heads up.

Too bad you're not here next week. Morse is guesting with me at my weekly Thursday party.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Will you be visiting my fair city too?

or do you hate your family?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Rootless vs Yuichi at Echo Park? I'll bring my bare fists, that's all i need...my friend lives close by, maybe i'll go over on Saturday!!! hit me on the PM or something.

• Funky Sole is at the Echo now? Haven't been since Star Shoes. Maybe i'll roll.

Funky Sole is at the Echo now? Haven't been since Star Shoes. Maybe i'll roll.

Yeah - just started about three weeks ago. They were at Jimmy's Lounge (which I thought was a pretty cool venue) but I think the Lounge closed down.

• Funky Sole is at the Echo now? Haven't been since Star Shoes. Maybe i'll roll.

Yeah - just started about three weeks ago. They were at Jimmy's Lounge (which I thought was a pretty cool venue) but I think the Lounge closed down.

Ah so is that what happened? I talked to Miles for a sec at the Echo opener, and it seemed like they weren't all that happy with Jimmy's Lounge, especially the security. I always thought it was a shitty spot in comparison to Star Shoes, especially since the owners always seemed willing to throw a whole other party in the back separate from Funky Sole. And parking around there was even shittier than Hollywood. Although I must say that stripper pole did occasionally lead to some interesting Becky moments...

I liked Star Shoes b/c it was so "intimate" (read: cramped as hell) but Jimmy's had a far better dance floor and overall venue space, IMO. That said, I didn't realize they were double-booking the spot. That's weak.

• Rootless vs Yuichi at Echo Park? I'll bring my bare fists, that's all i need...my friend lives close by, maybe i'll go over on Saturday!!! hit me on the PM or something.

I'll beshooting hoops down by the lake after this here game I tivoed.

• Will you be visiting my fair city too?

or do you hate your family?

no and no. catch you next time holmeses.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I liked Star Shoes b/c it was so "intimate" (read: cramped as hell) but Jimmy's had a far better dance floor and overall venue space, IMO. That said, I didn't realize they were double-booking the spot. That's weak.

I hated Star Shoes cos the PA always fugged up my hearing for a day or after. Terrible sound in there. Jimmy's was pretty decent.....The Echo is cool for getting your dance on, but not for lounging.

I hated Star Shoes cos the PA always fugged up my hearing for a day or after. Terrible sound in there. Jimmy's was pretty decent.....The Echo is cool for getting your dance on, but not for lounging.

Are the Echo and Echoplex physically connected?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Rootless vs Yuichi at Echo Park? I'll bring my bare fists, that's all i need...my friend lives close by, maybe i'll go over on Saturday!!! hit me on the PM or something.

I'll beshooting hoops down by the lake after this here game I tivoed.

^^invitation for yuki to roll thru and and get dunked on^^

• Are the Echo and Echoplex physically connected?

echo - upstairs, echoplex - downstairs

i loved star shoes because it was always had an interesting crowd, great projections on the walls, and was so crampt that you just had to dance to keep from being squished to death. plus we went so often that the bartender by the dj booth cut us a deal on drinks.

somewhere in this room i have a piece of the wall that egon drove the pick ax through on the final night there. truly an end of an era, at least for me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    star shoes was definitely the serious bees knees. I remember many a heated night with people screaming & glasses being broken. it always had a great vibe and the crowd always seemed cool.