Who here reviews shit on Yelp?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I think I'm going to have to bow out of this for a while and let everybody else heckle you.

I'm starting to get a really creepy vibe.......

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    as usual you resort to some "oooh mark is creepy"

that's like some prissy shit, I love it

I think I'm going to have to bow out of this for a while and let everybody else heckle you.

I'm starting to get a really creepy vibe.......

• W W.

• W W.

b/w

Gary's yelp reviews are f*ckin hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the story about the woman giving your wife carrots. But what's up with how the only options for rating reviews on yelp are a)funny b)useful c)cool? Shouldn't there be other choices? "Cool"? That's really an option for rating a review?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was looking at Yelp the other day and I was thinking "damn, some of these people take themselves waaaay too seriously." I mean, I care about my friend's opinions of restaurants and stores, etc., but I don't really give a damn about the opinions of some stranger who writes scathing or glowing reviews as if they were paid to do it.

Professional critics are bad enough, why deal with folks who wish they were??

Edit: Now G*ry's reviews I'd read 'cause, well, he's a friend. And he's also a funny motherhubbard.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Or people who write reviews like "Twisted Village is probably cool if you
    are one of the .03% of people into obscure psychedelic music, but for the
    rest of us, it is a waste of time"

yeah, thanks dude :eyeroll:

• Or people who write reviews like "Twisted Village is probably cool if you
    are one of the .03% of people into obscure psychedelic music, but for the
    rest of us, it is a waste of time"

yeah, thanks dude :eyeroll:

do you work at twisted village?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    no, why?

my point is, why review something you have no interest in?

"I suppose if you like Thai food, Sweet Chili is the eatery for you - but for
    those of us who hate Thai, a hamburger is much more appealing ... 2 Stars"

• no, why?

my point is, why review something you have no interest in?

"I suppose if you like Thai food, Sweet Chili is the eatery for you - but for
    those of us who hate Thai, a hamburger is much more appealing ... 2 Stars"

YELP TRUTH REVEALED.

" If you like reviewing shit you've never taken part in, Yelp is cool... But, it's no Soulstrut.
    Yelp - **"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Yo when did this Gary/MarkLatency beef arise? I thought all good was in sunny San Diego.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,091 Posts
    Most of these review sites are BS: A place can have their reputation to passer-bys in jeopardy because a sole reviewer / asshole customer gave them a low grade?

Regarding ML: I don't know if dudes trying to carry the Anthony Pearson posting style torch or what, but his stuff is really starting to get obnoxious. No disrespect to him as a person, but WHY is he moderator? He sells some records, so it's OK for him to spam the board? And honestly, threatening to call someone's place of business over some nonexistent internet beef is REALLY creepy. He's lucky that Gary seems to be one of those people who takes everything as a joke. If someone else, like another mod veteran or a female poster or somebody, was on the receiving end of this, I bet they would be banished in a blink of an eye. Oh, and don't bother deleting this.

When did I ever threaten to call anyone's place of work?

I kindly pointed out that most workplaces track your online usage. Nuff said, that goes for everyone on this board. No threats were made, son. Your IT department and your supervisor will deal with it as they see fit. I don't have to lift a finger, the posts speak for themselves when they get to your review. There have been many instances over the years of dudes mentioning they were busted checking this board and then hearing about it later in their reviews or getting canned.

Dudes read this board like it's the 11 o'clock news in e-beefville and I'm public enemy #1....

so it's OK for him to spam the board?

When did I ever spam the board? I pay to post in the sales threads. I pay the full yearly amount and have done so since I started my auctions.

And yo, if RAJ wants to replace me as a moderator, I'll gladly step down, I have no desire to hold the title if the village makes their wishes known....

And yo, if RAJ wants to replace me as a moderator, I'll gladly step down, I have no desire to hold the title if the village makes their wishes known....

I already PM'd RAJ, I admit I don't have the time this year anyways.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

People have called for you to step down on at least three separate occasions.

Just out of curiousity: what sort of activity on the part of the village would be sufficient for you to acknowledge its wishes?

I already asked to be replaced, I don't have the time.

People have called for you to step down on at least three separate occasions.

Your memory and mind's eye for detail is astounding, you're a tremendous legal mind in the courtroom I bet.

RAJ, YOU BEEN PM'D!

IT'S BEEN A GOOD RUN!

no no e-suicide, just retiring and going back to digging

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Anyone here run a business and get hounded by the folks at Yelp almost every day? We do. Not a good look. They want $300 a month to become a sponsored business, and you don't really get anything more than the free publicity you already get.

• I find Yelp to be completely useless. Most reviews have an equal number of good and bad reviews. Some places I love get bad reviews. Some places I hate get rave reviews. Some are just loved and hated equally. Does not help me at all.

Anyone here run a business and get hounded by the folks at Yelp almost every day? We do. Not a good look. They want $300 a month to become a sponsored business, and you don't really get anything more than the free publicity you already get.

That sucks man, the only thing I can think of you doing is to get your friends and family to write positive, solid reviews...

in this day and age anyone can say pretty much anything they want online, sure it's 1st amendment freedom of speech but when it cuts into a respectable local business like the company you work at [email]M@x[/email], that's just wrong.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I find Yelp to be completely useless. Most reviews have an equal number of good and bad reviews. Some places I love get bad reviews. Some places I hate get rave reviews. Some are just loved and hated equally. Does not help me at all.

Maybe your tastes are incongruous with the rest of the world. You like better music than they do. I can't stand most of what the majority of people like.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

That sucks man, the only thing I can think of you doing is to get your friends and family to write positive, solid reviews...

in this day and age anyone can say pretty much anything they want online, sure it's 1st amendment freedom of speech but when it cuts into a respectable local business like the company you work at [Email]M@x[/Email], that's just wrong.

We have 5 stars across the board. That's the issue. Why would we pay $300/mo for it when it's free? I just don't get it.

Ah nevermind, I thought you meant dudes were dissing your business. Lame they want you to pay tho, it's like the new yellow pages or something.

• even trying to find a good oil change place on yelp was pointless. Some people claim to be ripped off for hundreds of dollars and some say it's the best place ever. Almost everyone I read was the same situation. I just try to ask real people. You go in looking for advice and leave more confused, sometimes with a tainted opinion of a possibly decent place.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

You really want the kitty kat removed from your name? Schitt is priceless.

You really want the kitty kat removed from your name? Schitt is priceless.

I'll live, really.

Thanks Soulstrut, been here since 2000/2001 and I'm not going anywhere but I need to retire from my post.

This one goes out to everyone: