Teaching English in Japan

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I know Sheep and a few others had some experience with this right? The reason I ask is I saw that Aeon provides housing plus $2000+/month if you're selected, and I'm thinking I could kill two birds with one stone by saving up some money (for my review courses) and living there for a few months.So I'm wondering are there any companies that are recommended? And what are work hours like?

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I know Sheep and a few others had some experience with this right? The reason I ask is I saw that Aeon provides housing plus $2000+/month if you're selected, and I'm thinking I could kill two birds with one stone by saving up some money (for my review courses) and living there for a few months.

So I'm wondering are there any companies that are recommended? And what are work hours like?

Check Fullbright programs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    When I landed on Planet Japan, I don't remember any of that...

But I have to say. When Bill Murray say "Dare-ni mukatte mono itten-dayo"

I think it's seriously Badass!!!

• I taught in Osaka for 3.5 years and did everything from Kindergarten to University teaching and ended up making and saving a lot of money but worked like a Salaryman for it. Some of the schools like Aeon offer pretty shit deals and they do get their pound of flesh out of you once they lock you into a contract.

I worked for Berlitz for a while and they were pretty good.

But if Aeon is offering accomodation and help with Visa etc it may not be a bad option for a short time.

If you plan on staying a few years though it is important to get your hustle on and get better teaching jobs. I managed to bullshit my way into university positions (fake masters degree) where i was getting 5 months paid holidays a year.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I worked for Berlitz for a while and they were pretty good.

A number of years ago, I taught at Berlitz for about sixth months while in between other jobs.
    I was only part time, so I could pick my hours therefore not quite the same situation.
    But I can definately vouch for Berlitz. A good organization who treats you well.
    They also had plenty of options to teach: regular classes, universities, businesses etc.
    Teaching wasnt my thing, but I cant complain about Berlitz.

(Note: this was back in around 2004. not sure how much has changed since then).

• one of my good friends worked as a "host" at a laydee's bar there!! Was pretty decent money and all he had to do is drink with them. Mind you, he did get his tonky touched by a tranny, but it couldda been alot worse.......she/he was originally trying to get his/her mouth around it!! OH MY!!

• ew

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    tonky

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    can you speak Japanese? You are Japanese right?

If you are Japanese and can't speak fluently, then the natives will treat you like you're retarded. This actually applies to any asian that looks remotely Japanese.

They won't exepct you to speak it if you look and are Filipino, but then again, being Filipino in Japan is pretty low on the racial totem pole.

• can you speak Japanese? You are Japanese right?

If you are Japanese and can't speak fluently, then the natives will treat you like you're retarded. This actually applies to any asian that looks remotely Japanese.

They won't exepct you to speak it if you look and are Filipino, but then again, being Filipino in Japan is pretty low on the racial totem pole.

I heard that the Japanese love Koreans. Maybe you should say that you're Korean.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Thanks everyone for their input. Unfortunately, it seems Aeon which I was looking at, are recruiting for positions to be filled in 4-5 months. Blah. Thanks regardless. I toggled it, so I might end up using your tips at a later time.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    one of my good friends worked as a "host" at a laydee's bar there!! Was pretty decent money and all he had to do is drink with them. Mind you, he did get his tonky touched by a tranny, but it couldda been alot worse.......she/he was originally trying to get his/her mouth around it!! OH MY!!

Are you 9 years old?

• i have heard good things about JET

• one of my good friends worked as a "host" at a laydee's bar there!! Was pretty decent money and all he had to do is drink with them. Mind you, he did get his tonky touched by a tranny, but it couldda been alot worse.......she/he was originally trying to get his/her mouth around it!! OH MY!!

Are you 9 years old?

I wish! I'd be enjoying the summer school holidays right about now!!
    You didn't appreciate the tonky talk?? It makes a serious story a lil less so...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i have heard good things about JET

Oh yea, I forgot about that! Good looking out.

• honky's tonky

• honky's tonky

precisely!!