LA club DJs - $1000 deposit yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• Or maybe Bar 107....it's decent enough size, with a back room off of the bar for partying, and they certainly won't break you off with this $1000 down business.

I don't know if the situation is the same or not, but I spoke with them a few months back. A friend recommended me and they hit me up.
    Bar Mgr. asked what kind of music I play so I responded:
    funk, soul, latin, brazilian, afro, house, hip-hop, disco, r&b, rock, reggae...
    His reply,"That's not what we're looking for right now..."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Or maybe Bar 107....it's decent enough size, with a back room off of the bar for partying, and they certainly won't break you off with this $1000 down business.

I don't know if the situation is the same or not, but I spoke with them a few months back. A friend recommended me and they hit me up.
    Bar Mgr. asked what kind of music I play so I responded:
    funk, soul, latin, brazilian, afro, house, hip-hop, disco, r&b, rock, reggae...
    His reply,"That's not what we're looking for right now..."

"We play both kinds: country and western!"

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i have dj'd for almost 11 years and have never heard of anything like that. smells like BS to me.

• I dont know what liquor licening laws are like in the states but in Australia there have been quite a few small underground clubs set up as social clubs (in Melbourne Razor and Commerce ) this way you can run a night and sell your own alcohol without all the bullshit legalities.

All it involved was on the first night having membership applications for people to fill out (real easy ones name address etc) and later on mailing out laminated cards or get people to pick them up at the next event. Any future events you could allow 1 guest in with each member etc.

Its a good way to build a dedicated following and just sell basic beers etc at the bar and make more money.

• I dont know what liquor licening laws are like in the states but in Australia there have been quite a few small underground clubs set up as social clubs (in Melbourne Razor and Commerce ) this way you can run a night and sell your own alcohol without all the bullshit legalities.

All it involved was on the first night having membership applications for people to fill out (real easy ones name address etc) and later on mailing out laminated cards or get people to pick them up at the next event. Any future events you could allow 1 guest in with each member etc.

Its a good way to build a dedicated following and just sell basic beers etc at the bar and make more money.

a liquor license is going to be $10,000 minimum in any American city...beer and wine, not as much, but more than the $1000 the douchebag clubs want

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    a liquor license is going to be $10,000 minimum in any American city...beer and wine, not as much, but more than the $1000 the douchebag clubs want

Not in Texas...