College Station, TX-Any Records???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Yo,I have a research conference to attend at Texas A&M University next month. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and whether they're any record spots to hit. Good lookin' out in advance!!!Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    the local community college (Blynn, I think?) put out a record with a cover of Kashmere... Drummer sounds like he's from college Station tho.

you may be able to find a copy here

http://www.halfpricebooks.com/021.html

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I grew up there, it sucks. Dj Bull use to have a store on Texas Ave in Bryan but I'm pretty sure it's gone now, he mostly sold mixtapes anyways. Only options for records are thriftstores and Bryan might be better than College Station

I know guys who go to the Super Walmart at night to meet girls, that's how much that town sucks.

Half Price books is an option, I think it's a lot of old blue hair big band shit though.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I grew up there, it sucks. Dj Bull use to have a store on Texas Ave in Bryan but I'm pretty sure it's gone now, he mostly sold mixtapes anyways. Only options for records are thriftstores and Bryan might be better than College Station

I know guys who go to the Super Walmart at night to meet girls, that's how much that town sucks.

Half Price books is an option, I think it's a lot of old blue hair big band shit though.

Hey Serg,

This is all great to know since the Mays Business School (at A&M) has tried to recruit me in the past. I've always heard the location sucks, so with this conference, at least I'll get to see for myself. I can't imagine living in a college town with the one "main strip" down the center of town. It reminds me of the places where 80's football movies were set (e.g., "All the Right Moves"). I could foresee becoming a depressive living in such settings given the lack of stimulation. I can't envision such a small town (off-campus, that is) being a hospitable place for a Black folks to live, but I guess Houston would be an option (as I have a colleague that went this route).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I grew up there, it sucks. Dj Bull use to have a store on Texas Ave in Bryan but I'm pretty sure it's gone now, he mostly sold mixtapes anyways. Only options for records are thriftstores and Bryan might be better than College Station

Hey Serg,

This is all great to know since the Mays Business School (at A&M) has tried to recruit me in the past. I've always heard the location sucks, so with this conference, at least I'll get to see for myself. I can't imagine living in a college town with the one "main strip" down the center of town. It reminds me of the places where 80's football movies were set (e.g., "All the Right Moves"). I could foresee becoming a depressive living in such settings given the lack of stimulation. I can't envision such a small town (off-campus, that is) being a hospitable place for a Black folks to live, but I guess Houston would be an option (as I have a colleague that went this route).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks,

I can't speak on it first hand, but a close friend I work with went to A&M, and he echoes a lot of what Serg said, and reinforced all your fears in regards to race relations/Black folks. He now works in sports, and spent a lot of time at A&M hanging out with the football team, and said that the black members of the team felt very segregated, and most felt no love for the school upon leaving.

Like I said, I've never been there... But, a close friend who went to A&M had almost nothing but bad things to say about it.

(And, he went there because of the old 'went to another school, dropped out, got his grades up at comm. college, A&M gave money'...you know... that old story.)

-gareth

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey Serg,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks,

I can't speak on it first hand, but a close friend I work with went to A&M, and he echoes a lot of what Serg said, and reinforced all your fears in regards to race relations/Black folks. He now works in sports, and spent a lot of time at A&M hanging out with the football team, and said that the black members of the team felt very segregated, and most felt no love for the school upon leaving.

Like I said, I've never been there... But, a close friend who went to A&M had almost nothing but bad things to say about it.

(And, he went there because of the old 'went to another school, dropped out, got his grades up at comm. college, A&M gave money'...you know... that old story.)

-gareth

Hey Gareth,

I've lived this sad reality twice, in Wilmington (NC) and Milwaukee. Thus, I took the College Station/Bryan critiques very seriously during my job search. Redneck towns are no place for minorities to live comfortably, despite how many times non-minority colleagues, ahem, say it's a great place to live (cue up "Skin I'm In" by Sly and the Family Stone). This explains why I chose Rutgers over a lot of other universities (passing on some lucrative competing offers), due to the likely better quality of life in regards to the above concerns. Fortunately, our forecasts were on the mark as my wife and I love living here. Some things are more important than money such as peace of mind.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stacks,
    Other than that Half Price Books you won't find any vinyl in College Station. You can drive 10 miles to Snook for breakfast, home of the infamous "Southern Fried Bacon" guaranteed to knock 2-3 years off your life. There used to be an old Radio/TV shop in Navasota which is 40 minutes away that had lots of 45's but I'm not sure if it's still there...might need to make a call or two. Most importantly, don't judge the entire state by what you see and experience in Bryan/College Station....it's a "unique" place to say the least.

Rich

Stacks,
    Other than that Half Price Books you won't find any vinyl in College Station. You can drive 10 miles to Snook for breakfast, home of the infamous "Southern Fried Bacon" guaranteed to knock 2-3 years off your life. There used to be an old Radio/TV shop in Navasota which is 40 minutes away that had lots of 45's but I'm not sure if it's still there...might need to make a call or two. Most importantly, don't judge the entire state by what you see and experience in Bryan/College Station....it's a "unique" place to say the least.

Rich

Hey Rich,

Oddly enough, I have enjoyed my trips to Texas. I've spent time in Dallas and Houston and I'm quite fond of both cities. I was surprised at how cosmopolitan Dallas came across, considering some of the commentaries I've heard on the city (e.g., hicks, cowboys, etc.). I found the people to be really friendly in both cities and even considered a some job openings down there during my job search (i.e., UT-Arlington, Southern Methodist, Rice). I look forward to visiting A&M since I've heard a lot about it over the years. The word is that the Mays School is an amazing place, largely due to its supreme level of endowment loot. It's funny how physically obvious it is when a school is well-funded (e.g., Owen Graduate School of Management at Vanderbilt and Freeman Business School at Tulane) or not (e.g., B-schools at Kent State or Baruch).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I wouldn't recommend A&M/College Station to any minority, student or faculty alike. Having gone to A&M's chief rival school (Teasips reppin), I might have a slightly more biased angle than most, but the stories that come out of A&M are never a good look.

A&M isn't too far from Prairie View (home of HBCU PV A&M), same school where Premiere got his start. A friend of mine always pulls stuff from PV.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    My girl's family is from College Station and we live in Houston, so I'm there about every six weeks. I wish I could tell you something good about the place but... The Half Price Books is desolate at best and the spot in Navasota is barren, though the town was home to Mance Lipscomb and Joe Tex.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. I REMEMBERED A POSITIVE THING!
    Kinda. According to the legend and the man himself, Texas A&M is where Charles Wright's opus "Express Yourself" was written. I however, remain convinced Wright mixed A&M up with Prairie View A&M.