i had a bike acciden and need help

2»

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i didnt even think it was serious.
    i was rolling on my bike down the street. adjusted my hat on my head. roll along. see a car door open in front of me. smash into it. wreck car door.

dude jumps out and says i hit his car. i tell him he opened his door without looking out. he has a witness that says i didnt have my hands on the bike (of course i did when i hit the door). he gets my phone number and insurance info, i dont bother getting his, cause i figure there is no way i am at fault.

month later, state farm calls me up saying i need to pay $1400.
    i call my insurance and they say they cant cover it, but that the driver was totally at fault.

now, state farm has a debt collection agency asking me for the money.

should i just start fire bombing shit??? or get a lawyer???

state farm is the driver's insurance agency...and they have a collection service company after you?

if you want to fax or pdf and email me the letter, i'll take a look at it. don't hire a lawyer for something this trivial, especially at this point.

pm me if your interested and ill send you my info. i'm a philly trial lawyer btw....and this is pro bono.

Good deed for the year for sure.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What happens in that scenario if you just ride off and don't give your info? Could that be considered hit and run which is a felony?

What are the odds of the po's actually pursuing such a case?? I say very slim.

I've heard of people getting DUI/DWI's while riding bikes.

Let me guess.... OB, right?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    i was rolling on my bike down the street. adjusted my hat on my head. roll along. see a car door open in front of me. smash into it. wreck car door.

dude jumps out and says i hit his car. i tell him he opened his door without looking out. he has a witness that says i didnt have my hands on the bike (of course i did when i hit the door). he gets my phone number and insurance info, i dont bother getting his, cause i figure there is no way i am at fault.

i call my insurance and they say they cant cover it, but that the driver was totally at fault.

state farm is the driver's insurance agency...and they have a collection service company after you?

if you want to fax or pdf and email me the letter, i'll take a look at it. don't hire a lawyer for something this trivial, especially at this point.

pm me if your interested and ill send you my info. i'm a philly trial lawyer btw....and this is pro bono.

Good deed for the year for sure.

Well it was my idea, so certainly I deserve like 90% of the credit.

At the very least Tony should let me ride on his new bike or something.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    What happens in that scenario if you just ride off and don't give your info? Could that be considered hit and run which is a felony?

What are the odds of the po's actually pursuing such a case?? I say very slim.

I've heard of people getting DUI/DWI's while riding bikes.

Let me guess.... OB, right?

Coronado

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Your office must be as slow as ours.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    about DUI's while riding bikes: I've heard of those too, but around here all it can get you is something like disorderly conduct or drunk in public...in this state DUI's are reserved for motor vehicles.

this is good for me, as I'll rarely roll on a good summertime weekend day with a sixer strapped to the rack...

man, I wish it were summer right now.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Tell me about it. Med-mal and insurance coverage don't go as far as they used to.

• Sorry about your bad luck. What a bummer. You sound like a nice person, trying not to make a big deal of the situation, but dude was an asshole.

I would have gotten his insurance info and put in a claim for bike & body damage (if there was any). I would also make sure he knew that HE fucked up.

I don't know what to say but good luck. Hope it works out for you.

• autoauto 198 Posts

youve given out some real shitty advice in this thread

• saba stays douchey,no matter what.

ak, sorry for the alarmist post title, had to get the attention of the law knowing strutters. (oh yeah, i made another batch of that spread!)

in retrospect, i know i fucked up for not getting the drivers information and handling that shit immediately. i am a shrug it off kind of person. my bike was ok and my knee got a litle bloody..i figured it was worth it for mangling the big jack off's mercedes door.

anyway, i talked to the philly advocate lawyer today and am going to meet up with him tomorrow. he gets no money unless he wins money is his claim (an acquaintance just got 75k with this guy!) plus, keith van horn is there for backup...so i feel serene about the situation.

thanks yall. i will report back as the plot unfolds

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I was arrested in San Francisco and spent an entire night in jail for an outstanding warrant on an unpaid Jay Walking ticket.

Funny(well not really), Same happened to me when I was in my 20's. Warrent for a traffic violation.

I was locked up with a couple of homeless cats & a tranny.

T**y, good to hear you 're getting a handle on things and hope it works to your benefit.Good Luck homie!!

saba stays douchey,no matter what.

Not for nothin', but at least i'm smart enough not to let some insurance company get a collection action against me for $1400 in an accident where I should have been the one getting paid. Also, your advocate may not get any fees[/b] unless he recovers money but it's still going to cost you any expenses whether he wins or not. Finally, only a douche is stupid enough to take his hands of the handlebars and crash into a car door, which explains why you were so quick to get out of there that you didn't wait for his insurance or for the police (maybe you shouldn't tell your advocate about that detail).

Good luck, why not go out and start spenidng that $75K now!.

P.S. only a douche nozzle would cry about how he needs help - that would be you, and then call someone who tries to help him - that would be me, a douche.

youve given out some real shitty advice in this thread

Compared to the contrary advice that he: (a) ignore it; or (b) contact the collection agency/insurer and tell them he has no intention of paying or "giving his side of the story," I think my advice to keep his mouth shut and to get a lawyer was pretty sound. And apparently he thought so too, becuase that's what he did.

• Also, your advocate may not get any fees[/b] unless he recovers money but it's still going to cost you any expenses whether he wins or not.

most personal injury contingent fee arrangements don't require the client to front expenses.

btw, as an fyi: law firms will often word the contract so that their % fee comes first, and then expenses are subtracted from the remaining sum before you get your pay-out. so therefore, unless you are desperate for an attorney to take your case, one negotiating tip would be to require your attorney change the language so that his 1/3rd (or whatever) comes off AFTER expenses. expenses include experts and often eat up a huge chunk of your recovery.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    Also, your advocate may not get any fees[/b] unless he recovers money but it's still going to cost you any expenses whether he wins or not.

most personal injury contingent fee arrangements don't require the client to front expenses.

and the advice gets shittier

I understand that, but fronting and ultimately paying are two different things. Whether the case is successful or not.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think Saba has actually gotten a bad rap in this thread....I don't think he tried to do anything but offer advice based on the info given, and tried to cut through stuff that he thought was not sound advice. No need to offer profuse praise, but calling him douchey when he has offered advice in good faith is not a good look. Just sayin'.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    maybe he meant douche in the positive sense, like "bad meaning good".

• maybe he meant douche in the positive sense, like "bad meaning good".

LOL. heh. yeah my fault sabadabs. i was a lil unappreciative when kvh graciously offered some help and you chime in quickly, "business must be slow". overall...thanks for the interest and advice. although i didnt get a chance to read your bristly posts, i definitely will later, knowing i deserved it.

anyway...things seem pretty open and shut, but i guess i'll no for certain down the line. in the bike lawyers office there was a huge blow up of the portion of the vehicle code that says make sure traffic is clear before you open your door. they also had free keychains with the lawyers number on it and a skull and crossbones with a pirate bandana...one of those bottle opening keychains. im not sure if it gives me confidence in his lawyer skills...but thats my kind of legal promo item.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    maybe he meant douche in the positive sense, like "bad meaning good".

LOL. heh. yeah my fault sabadabs. i was a lil unappreciative when kvh graciously offered some help and you chime in quickly, "business must be slow". overall...thanks for the interest and advice. although i didnt get a chance to read your bristly posts, i definitely will later, knowing i deserved it.

anyway...things seem pretty open and shut, but i guess i'll no for certain down the line. in the bike lawyers office there was a huge blow up of the portion of the vehicle code that says make sure traffic is clear before you open your door. they also had free keychains with the lawyers number on it and a skull and crossbones with a pirate bandana...one of those bottle opening keychains. im not sure if it gives me confidence in his lawyer skills...but thats my kind of legal promo item.