I DONT EVEN HAVE TO MIX !

12346»

Comments

• and learn how to play an instrument, and read music and keep time. Then play in a band, and learn about contributing to a musical whole, then you're skillz will 1000's of times better again.

I have to disagree.

Most of the cats in my generation didnt play in bands. They just liked music.

The allure of the turntable was that one didnt have to learn Mozart and Ellington to rock a party.

Str8 up self-instinct and hangin w/ other record cats.

I'm not sayin one couldnt benefit from "music - schooling" but the game has flourished w/out G-clefs and shit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Yes this is me exactly!!!

If you are DJing a party for people who are really into interesting music and the art of DJing, I am all for keeping it real...

BUT if you are DJing a bottle service bougie ass club for all the beckys- I say do whatever works for you and get that money! If that means virtual DJ, go for it!

That being said: If you took an incredibly great virtual DJ-DJ against an incredibly great vinyl/Microwave DJ (DJ AM for instance), the vinyl/Microwave dude will win EVERY TIME. If you have that line of MILFs evaluate the dude playing the video game controller versus AM destroying doubles of rhianna or billie jean they will always pick the vinyl dude- It's about 10000000000 times cooler!!!!

OMG!!!

like totally!!!

this is like sooooooooo raaad!!!

Do you like, party and shit? because i totally wanna hang!!!

KAITHXBAI!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• BUT if you are DJing a bottle service bougie ass club for all the beckys- I say do whatever works for you and get that money!

as a great man once said, "don't worry if i write rhymes use vinyl, i write checks".

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    and learn how to play an instrument, and read music and keep time. Then play in a band, and learn about contributing to a musical whole, then you're skillz will 1000's of times better again.

I have to disagree.

The allure of the turntable was that one didnt have to learn Mozart and Ellington to rock a party.

I'm not sayin one couldnt benefit from "music - schooling" but the game has flourished w/out G-clefs and shit.

What I'm getting at is this: the more you know about music the more comfortable/versatile and creative you'll be with it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and learn how to play an instrument, and read music and keep time. Then play in a band, and learn about contributing to a musical whole, then you're skillz will 1000's of times better again.

I have to disagree.

What I'm getting at is this: the more you know about music the more comfortable/versatile and creative you'll be with it.

Thats a 'rule' that i find holes in.

Academic steez doesnt make one more creative..IMO.

Its the folks that only know records that can come up w/ incredible shit out of sheer need instead of drawing upon "music history".

All those teens in the 70's/80's Hip Hop didnt have music programs except what theyre parents played, heard on the radio, or heard in the street.

Ill take Raheem in Building 4 over David Byrne.

Knowing the possabilities can give u an "advantage" but that's not the only advantage....imo.

I hear u though.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    All those teens in the 70's/80's Hip Hop didnt have music programs except what theyre parents played, heard on the radio, or heard in the street.

and their parents were listening to Curtis Mayfield/ Marvin Gaye/ John Coltrane while mine were listening to Leonard Cohen and Cat Stevens.

sounds like they had the better music program

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I don't understand why this thread is still going on. Virtual DJ is lame and anybody who uses it gets no props. It's that simple.
    You don't have to blend to be considered a DJ when it comes to certain select styles of music, I'll give you that. However you do need to blend and mix properly to even be considered as a DJ when it comes to other musical styles such as House, Hip Hop, etc... Train-wrecks in House music imo are unacceptable, it completely kills the vibe.
    Virtual DJ might "sync" the music for you but you still need to have the skills to select 2 songs that are in key and will not sound out of tune when mixed/blended as well as EQ'ing them to make sure the sonics are similar when switching over.
    In the end, I'm not threatened at all and I know my skills can't even be touched by one of these lil dudes using Virtual DJ. It's two completely different things.
    Having to carry around 4 or 5 crates of records to a gig is not even a thought that crosses my mind. I still collect and buy as many, if not more, records than ever. But I still use S.erato for practical reasons. Not to mention the showmanship that can be added to a performance through the use of exclusive( unreleased) songs, remixes & even some custom edits. To me that's taking it to the next level and what S.erato is all about.

:my 2 cents:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Really Really sorry to bring this thread back to the top of the page, but I downloaded this program and had a couple thoughts on the whole idea.

1) If you are using ony 1 soundcard it is impossible to CUE/PFL the next track, creating a much more difficult mix. Hence the need for a sync button.

2) Virtual DJ can be used exactly like s.erato with control vinyls.

3) The sample drops and built in effects were actually pretty impressive and if you read the s.erato 1.9 facemelt thread, you will learn that s.erato is adding sample drops.

4) In no way is this automix or autodj. I found it to be much harder that using s.erato personally, and I own s.erato.

And that controller that dude was using in the south rakkas i believe is called Hercules and comes with traktor scratch. Pretty similar to CDJ control.

Don't worry djs. I think the piped in video mixing (combined with dancing girls) is much more of a threat. (Recently saw this at a local bar, insane amount of servers there)