I DONT EVEN HAVE TO MIX !

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

you can download anything, mix anything - and all you can come up with is busta and beyonce? WTF? -

Definitely. That dynamic bugs me (though I have certainly caught myself going on autopilot occasionally, so I'm not above it, either).

• I think it makes the sets unpredictable and more exiting - someitmes stresses me out looking for the next track but it works for me - wouldnt have it any other way

heart of the game

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    say 3 people have the same collection, but only one of them knows how to do all aspects of rocking a party...who do you think people want to hear play these records?

It depends on the crowd.

The Becky crowd wont hatt if it isnt blended/mixed into a "seamless" set.
    Fractured,first verses, and genre skipping...

A hardcore Dance Club crowd will hatt because its not "connected".

Another crowd might just like to hear these records played straight w/out any "This is Going out to my Man & Them", wiki-wikki-wikki, shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There are dudes using new tech to rock parties right.

Hattin on the entire procedure is wack.

• There are dudes using new tech to rock parties right.

Hattin on the entire procedure is wack.

im not hating on the entire procedure...see my 1st post. spinning with greg wilson who was infact using virtual dj vs. some idiot thats been "spinning" for 3 months using the same program.
    although greg brought his reel to reel, it kind of cancelled itself out by using virtual dj. you went digi there...could have easily achieved the same with the fx going digi as well.

as far as the 3 people with the same records, im not talking about some top 40 bullshit club.
    and if it were, im sure heads would not want to hear, pop champagne followed by tupacs dear mama just cuz its the same tempo. programming is so important to me.

saying.. if a somebody who had the the craziest record collection like bob gibson and cut chemist had the same exact collection, its a no brainer.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Personally, I'm not really into beatmatching being the whole enchilada. It's cool when it's part of what you do, but having an entire set where every transition is beatmatched is boring as hell to dance to. It definitely limits the amount of variation in the music. As long as there isn't drawn out silence between songs I don't care. Good music selection outweighs everything when you're lost in the boogie.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    It's not about cheating, it's about what you're in it for.

Beatmatching manually is half the fun of DJing.

WRONG! Getting paid megabucks, pouring Goose down my throat straight from the bottle while getting brained by some wasted skank underneath the decks is half the fun of DJing.

And... uh... dancing and waving your hands is the other half.

You Married Ma'f*ckin ANIMAL!

• And maybe you want to watch your tone of voice when talking to people who've run around African cities licensing songs for you and your friend's last record simply to help out and without any compansation while you were busy "digging" through a Queens doctor's record collections and air conditioned record stores in Manhattan. Until you've fought over a copy of Mulatu "Live at Menelik's" with a
    fu*king rhino...[/b]

just kidding, nothing but respect.

• Personally, I'm not really into beatmatching being the whole enchilada. It's cool when it's part of what you do, but having an entire set where every transition is beatmatched is boring as hell to dance to. It definitely limits the amount of variation in the music. As long as there isn't drawn out silence between songs I don't care. Good music selection outweighs everything when you're lost in the boogie.

so you enjoy a good trainwreck ?

maybe im being a stickler but...
    music is math, like saying while your recording the actual song...oh its ok if mr. stubblefield is all over the place and cant keep the time, or bootsy is so off its f*cking up james singing.
    why do you think bands like the j.bs were so tight ? cuz james said ..awww F*ck it...who cares if you came in on the wrong measure...being on beat doesnt count for much and people will get bored dancing to it !!?
    hellll no.

deconstruct just about any song and its all about timing. theres a reason why.

all of the dancers/ bboys/bgirls i know dont get bored when the dj can keep a steady flow. if the dj doesnt they have to stop and reset to the offbeat mixing.
    building bridges to get to your next genre and keeping on beat should not be a difficult task.
    offbeat djs are not ready yet. nothing worse then amazing songs being butchered by one who tries to blend yet continues to F*ck my ears up with off beat garbage mixing.
    seems more like this is a dj thing...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    [

music is math, like saying while your recording the actual song...oh its ok if mr. stubblefield is all over the place and cant keep the time, or bootsy is so off its f*cking up james singing.
    why do you think bands like the j.bs were so tight ? cuz james said ..awww F*ck it...who cares if you came in on the wrong measure...being on beat doesnt count for much and people will get bored dancing to it !!?
    hellll no.

all of the dancers/ bboys/bgirls i know dont get bored when the dj can keep a steady flow. if the dj doesnt they have to stop and reset to the offbeat mixing.
    building bridges to get to your next genre and keeping on beat should not be a difficult task.
    offbeat djs are not ready yet. nothing worse then amazing songs being butchered by one who tries to blend yet continues to F*ck my ears up with off beat garbage mixing.

This post is a bit of a trainwreck, no? You're just trying to mash your point into a response to mine? Comparing a flawed blended fade, and dudes playing in a band off beat is apples to oranges. Totally, music is about timing, I'm aware of that without the pedantic iteration. However, if you really understood that, perhaps you'd acknowledge the fact that time in music unfolds on a multitude of levels. There are the microrhythms of a vibrating wave which create frequencies, that are then arranged in meter to create beats, which are arranged in bars to create measures, which are arranged to create songs. Two bars worth of contrasting rhythms is not enough to throw off a set of good music. If your music is good enough, some trainwrecks are not gonna stop the thunder.

b/w
    Polyphony is a tenet of much good music.

that being said, if a dj is non-stop trainwrecks then its booty, and the set is most likely booty anyways.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Until you've fought over a copy of Mulatu "Live at Menelik's" with a
    fu*king rhino...[/b]

I missed that gem of a quote the first time.

The new standard for diggin' authenticity?

Who can top? And is it on the basis for the degree of danger or the rarity of the record? Like...if you exchange gunfire with Chechen rebels over a copy of "Endless Flight," do they cancel each other out?

you can download anything, mix anything - and all you can come up with is busta and beyonce? WTF? -

Definitely. That dynamic bugs me (though I have certainly caught myself going on autopilot occasionally, so I'm not above it, either).

I hear what's being said here but we're talking about two very different things:

1) What DJs choose to play

vs.

2) How DJs play

The pressures to conform to lowest-common-denominator-ness is going to be there regardless if you're spinning off Virtual DJ or f*cking wax cylinders.

how many DJs beat-match every segue though? I feel like beat-matching blends (i.e. 4-16 bar overlaps) are pretty uncommon these days anyway.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i work in a store that sells dj equipment, and its incredible how many people enquire with questions like "whats that software that dj's for me?"

i work in a store that sells dj equipment, and its incredible how many people enquire with questions like "whats that software that dj's for me?"

• [

hellll no.

This post is a bit of a trainwreck, no? You're just trying to mash your point into a response to mine? Comparing a flawed blended fade, and dudes playing in a band off beat is apples to oranges. Totally, music is about timing, I'm aware of that without the pedantic iteration. However, if you really understood that, perhaps you'd acknowledge the fact that time in music unfolds on a multitude of levels. There are the microrhythms of a vibrating wave which create frequencies, that are then arranged in meter to create beats, which are arranged in bars to create measures, which are arranged to create songs. Two bars worth of contrasting rhythms is not enough to throw off a set of good music. If your music is good enough, some trainwrecks are not gonna stop the thunder.

b/w
    Polyphony is a tenet of much good music.

that being said, if a dj is non-stop trainwrecks then its booty, and the set is most likely booty anyways.

for the most part we agree on what is being said. the human element is whats needed, i want to hear an occasional F*ck up...we all do it, but thats not what im speaking on.

im not trying to mash my point into anything of yours. you basically said its boring to dance to a dj that beatmatches ??? !!! go figure. you also said its boring to dance to. ask a professional dancer if they enjoy having to stop dancing by horrific offbeat mixes...or a drummer who cant keep the time.

i dont think my analogy of making a song, and having your band be on beat and tight
    vs. a dj having the same train of thought is not apples and oranges at all. your not going to just start singing when the drummer is doing a solo..if the band is not in sync and the dj is not in sync, its sounding the same to my ears.
    im not talking about a "flawed blend fade" im talking about bringing in records the right way. knowing where drop out points are for you to insert the next record sensibly and riding that shit out for 16 or 32 bars..without f*cking up...cuz when its done wrong its wrong.

im so tired of hearing " hes a nice guy but is kinda wack djing...but since hes nice he gets to keep his job" F*ck outta here.
    theres a reason why records like dimple d's sucker djs exist. cats need to stop letting so much bullshit slide by and start checking fools.

the end.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I think as true school djs and the love WE (me and Kon) have for it we know what WE want to hear and how. I personally prefer a dj that has unbelievable skill, knows about perfect timing, when to drop the next joint, how to drop the next joint, read the crowd etc. All this makes the best possible party rocking dj there is. However the bottom line at the end of the day is the average joe or becky that doesn't know or understand or even give a shit about what WE do doesn't care what your deejaying with or how as long as you play THEIR favorite song when they want to hear it. I agree that these computer programs that mix for you are as wack as it can get. Shit I even think S.earto is still wack. I have love for the real records and skills, etc. I use S.erato pretty exclusively these days but I don't really approve of all the new digital technology as I'm an old school analog head. That is just ME and how I feel. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. I play at a crappy spot every Friday night and spin what is really wack music to me. With that being said I do it MY way and least try to have flavor with it. Lots of quick mixing etc. While I'm thinking to myself "damn, I'm killing it right now" I have a line of 20 pissed off milfs telling me to "Let The Whole Song Play"!!! Lmao........ I dj that spot because it's a good pay day and with that money I can buy the records I want. I'm a professional working dj and that's what I do. I don't have a day job, or play just for fun, to get girls or free drinks. Those days were over more then a decade ago. Of course I still dj some evnts where I do really get to "do me" and play the ill raers, etc. But those parties usually don't pay like the crappy ones. It's just how it goes and what it is.

I have a line of 20 pissed off milfs telling me to "Let The Whole Song Play"!!!

I'm picturing this and the image is making my evening.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

im not trying to mash my point into anything of yours. you basically said its boring to dance to a dj that beatmatches ??? !!! go figure. you also said its boring to dance to. ask a professional dancer if they enjoy having to stop dancing by horrific offbeat mixes...or a drummer who cant keep the time.

What I'm saying is that its not so much fun dancing if the music stays at one bpm the whole night. You can make a clean transition without beatmatching, right? I'm not advocating shitty DJ skills.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    how many DJs beat-match every segue though? I feel like beat-matching blends (i.e. 4-16 bar overlaps) are pretty uncommon these days anyway.

DJs that play House, Techno, and other Euro-friendly genres are usually doing solely this.

Yeah but at the same BPM the entire night?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Maybe not the exact same, but it never seems to vary much. > x <

Maybe not the exact same, but it never seems to vary much. > x <

Ah. I 'm just not that familiar. Most of the parties I attend are multi-genre (with a lack of quantization) so DJs usually have to figure out how to speed up and slow down tempos that span over 50 bpm. You could beat-match your way up that scale I suppose but...why?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Most of the parties I attend are multi-genre (with a lack of quantization) so DJs usually have to figure out how to speed up and slow down tempos that span over 50 bpm. You could beat-match your way up that scale I suppose but...why?

Exactly. That's where the fun is at.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I don't beat match every segue, but I do it more often than not.

Most of the parties I attend are multi-genre (with a lack of quantization) so DJs usually have to figure out how to speed up and slow down tempos that span over 50 bpm. You could beat-match your way up that scale I suppose but...why?

Exactly. That's where the fun is at.

Sure but I don't think Kon is remotely arguing that "real DJs beat-match 4 hours in a row." His point was that, "at least you should know how to do it."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For sure. I was responding to Burger in that, endless flawless blends doesn't make a good dJ (and certainly not a good party).

• same genre of music and tempo all night= death. the worst.
    we all are agree.
    im using my foreign speak today.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I haven't explored digital mixing at-all... except when finessing a mix on the PC. But hears my 2 cents:
    If you learn with wax and decks, your foundation will be 1000's of times more solid then someone who rocks digital. OR step back even further, and learn how to play an instrument, and read music and keep time. Then play in a band, and learn about contributing to a musical whole, then you're skillz will 1000's of times better again.
    It all comes down to the music... understanding, manipulating and loving it.
    Back in the mid-90's when I was studying architecture(cringe) pc's started taking over. Lot's of people in my class started swearing they wouldn't pick up a pencil again. Usually this was said by those who couldn't draw( i.e. conceptualize 3D without a visual aid) And I thought to myself... fools. What happens when your on-sight and your computer crashes? Are you still an architect---can you still do your job? No, you've become a slave to the technology.
    Same with digi-DJ's... you're just punks unless you can still do the job analog.

• I think as true school djs and the love WE (me and Kon) have for it we know what WE want to hear and how. I personally prefer a dj that has unbelievable skill, knows about perfect timing, when to drop the next joint, how to drop the next joint, read the crowd etc. All this makes the best possible party rocking dj there is. However the bottom line at the end of the day is the average joe or becky that doesn't know or understand or even give a shit about what WE do doesn't care what your deejaying with or how as long as you play THEIR favorite song when they want to hear it. I agree that these computer programs that mix for you are as wack as it can get. Shit I even think S.earto is still wack. I have love for the real records and skills, etc. I use S.erato pretty exclusively these days but I don't really approve of all the new digital technology as I'm an old school analog head. That is just ME and how I feel. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. I play at a crappy spot every Friday night and spin what is really wack music to me. With that being said I do it MY way and least try to have flavor with it. Lots of quick mixing etc. While I'm thinking to myself "damn, I'm killing it right now" I have a line of 20 pissed off milfs telling me to "Let The Whole Song Play"!!! Lmao........ I dj that spot because it's a good pay day and with that money I can buy the records I want. I'm a professional working dj and that's what I do. I don't have a day job, or play just for fun, to get girls or free drinks. Those days were over more then a decade ago. Of course I still dj some evnts where I do really get to "do me" and play the ill raers, etc. But those parties usually don't pay like the crappy ones. It's just how it goes and what it is.

Yes this is me exactly!!!

If you are DJing a party for people who are really into interesting music and the art of DJing, I am all for keeping it real...

BUT if you are DJing a bottle service bougie ass club for all the beckys- I say do whatever works for you and get that money! If that means virtual DJ, go for it!

That being said: If you took an incredibly great virtual DJ-DJ against an incredibly great vinyl/Microwave DJ (DJ AM for instance), the vinyl/Microwave dude will win EVERY TIME. If you have that line of MILFs evaluate the dude playing the video game controller versus AM destroying doubles of rhianna or billie jean they will always pick the vinyl dude- It's about 10000000000 times cooler!!!!