Anyone still fusk with Polaroids?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Given that Polaroid got out of the instant film business at the end of the year, I'm wondering if this really means the end of that entire era. It made me get my camera out and snap off two more shots from my SX70 (I now have two more left but no more packs). A friend also sent this story from Mental Floss magazine about someone who took a Polaroid picture every day of his life until his untimely death at 41. Pretty compelling (and sad) stuff. Rep your picks:

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't, but sometimes when I'm thrifting I'll look for old cameras.

Currently I use the Lomo fish-eye

I don't do the everyday thing, just for certain times when I remember to take it with me, mostly family stuff (the photo on my MySpace where I'm on the Oregon coast is taken with the Lomo). Here's a photo taken August 2008 in downtown Portland, the end result looking like a cross between Paul's Boutique[/b] and the mid to late 70's Mercury label (I think I may have posted this here before).

My sister has a Polaroid, I'll call her tomorrow and see if I can borrow it. I think my mom may have one from the 70's too, big ass beige beast.

The latest Kodak commercial on TV is the one with Richard Karn telling people to buy photo printers, so I think for the most part, film is even more niche than ever. What was considered instant isn't, aren't the packs just 10 pictures?

Like the photo, BTW.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think my mom may have one from the 70's too, big ass beige beast.

Whoa, that's a harsh thing to call the woman who raised you!

I don't mess with Polaroid, but thanks to Day I can get my Polaroid-ish styles on via CameraBag on my iPhone!

I think my mom may have one from the 70's too, big ass beige beast.

Whoa, that's a harsh thing to call the woman who raised you!;)

I was about to edit too because I figured someone would say that. Decided eh, people will know what I mean.

• i still fusk w/ one of these.
    peace, stein. . .

Have you posted any pics recently?

• I did. If loot isn't an issue, ebay is a good source for film.

Here is a good site.

• I love Polaroid- esp. this kind (always forgetting the name of the film)

(how do you get a flickr image to show?!?)

My friend and I used these kinds of polaroids for my mom's big 60th bday last year. He bought out a whole bunch from Mel Pierce years ago and kept it in the fridge, so we silkscreened card holders, took snaps all night, and gave them out as take home souvenirs of the event.

I think Fuji is taking off where Polaroid left off to some degree...doing some stuff w/instant (overpriced) film...but yeah, there will definitely be some formats that will disappear for good.

(how do you get a flickr image to show?!?)

normally it works if you remove the ?v=0 in the equation, but it's not, even when I host it elsewhere.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i still fusk w/ one of these.
    peace, stein. . .

I love Polaroid Land Cameras. What's great about them after Polaroid ceased instant film production is that you can use Fuji instant film with them. The 100, 250, 350 models all had high quality Carl Zeiss lenses on them too.

Anyway, here is one of my personal favorites:

Also, Anna's polaroid collection sons most.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've had 'em but the film comes out to around a dollar / shot. I had a 650 SLR that I miss dearly, but couldn't justify the amount of $$ I paid for it. I also had a cheapo sun that I got from the thrift. Our cars got robbed over the summer and these meth addicts stole my $4 Polaroid camera. Dip shits!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    yes, indeed... just haven't made it a habit of scanning on the regs.

I've been out of Time-Zero film for some time, but grabbed 4 boxes of Artistic TZ film around xmas. haven't let them out of the fridge yet, but I've read mixed reviews. 8 shots is a little insulting.

about a year ago, i tried to mod an sx-70 to accommodate 600 film, but the results were mediocre at best, yielding only washed out, yellowed images

• parenparen 537 Posts

RIP Missing Link

• Yes I use them in my work all the time for casting when I shoot large groups of people. There's no other way to keep faces and contact info together better than polaroiding. I have boxes full.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Missing LInk is gone? Damn. I didn't find much but Justin came up big on that trip. Good times, good times. (Can't believe that shit was 6.5 years ago).

And yeah - the 600 hack for the SX70 just sounds like a bad idea. I'm still holding out hope someone will pick up the slack for manufacturing SX70 film again (Time Zero or otherwise).

In the meantime, I've been meaning to cop a Land Camera. Any suggestions on models?

• parenparen 537 Posts

• rogbrogb 172 Posts

Apparently this stuff works in Polaroid cameras:

Yeah - this film is great and really helps you appreciate how incredibly innovative the SX70 was in its time.

It is, by far, my favorite camera just in terms of design and function.

Amazing that it cost $850 (by today's dollars) back in the day.

• We just used polaroid cameras for our holiday party. It was a big hit! It's too bad it's gonna be a pain in tne ass to get film now.

• Bring back daguerreotype!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm currently working on stuff for the Consumer Electroincs Show (CES) in Las Vegas next week.

On of the items were covering is a camera made by a company named Zink in Massachussets(sp). They essentially are pushing a product that is a 5 megapixel digicam with an inkless color printer on it for instant pictures

heres a link
    http://www.zink.com/TOMY-Xiao

These Xiao ads are hilarious:

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Given that Polaroid got out of the instant film business at the end of the year, I'm wondering if this really means the end of that entire era. It made me get my camera out and snap off two more shots from my SX70 (I now have two more left but no more packs).

A friend also sent this story from Mental Floss magazine about someone who took a Polaroid picture every day of his life until his untimely death at 41. Pretty compelling (and sad) stuff.

Rep your picks:

That pic is the same trip when Justin came to the crib and smashed my futon frame to bits! I blame any back problems Ive had on him ever since.

-Sergio

• Justin came to the crib and smashed my futon frame to bits! I blame any back problems Ive had on him ever since.

-Sergio

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Kodak stopped making double perf 16mm film recently also.