Stooges for a newbie

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
late to the game on another classic band once again, alieNDN appeals for recommendations on iggy pop and the stooges. i guess my prior experience was car commercials and the trainspotting soundtrack or something. but recently i discovered the stooges track "Shake Appeal" and i just go fusking nuts when i hear it. i feel like clubbing baby seals and tree huggers when i hear it and i'm a seal hugging tree. everytime im awaiting for the subway doors to open i load up Shake Appeal on my mp3 player and in my mind i imagine myself just kicking the doors open as the Shake Appeal riff starts, but i settle for the doors opening on their own and just run out. WHAT A RIFF! please recommend me some moreoh and happy new year!ps: if anyone was mislead by the thread topic..well fusk the 3 stooges anyways, i ride for the marx brothers.

Comments

• late to the game on another classic band once again, alieNDN appeals for recommendations on iggy pop and the stooges. i guess my prior experience was car commercials and the trainspotting soundtrack or something. but recently i discovered the stooges track "Shake Appeal" and i just go fusking nuts when i hear it. i feel like clubbing baby seals and tree huggers when i hear it and i'm a seal hugging tree. everytime im awaiting for the subway doors to open i load up Shake Appeal on my mp3 player and in my mind i imagine myself just kicking the doors open as the Shake Appeal riff starts, but i settle for the doors opening on their own and just run out. WHAT A RIFF! please recommend me some more

oh and happy new year!

ps: if anyone was mislead by the thread topic..well fusk the 3 stooges anyways, i ride for the marx brothers.

Stooges, Funhouse and Raw Power. That's all you'll ever need.

• Listen to funky16corners on this one.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's not a lot of Stooges albums out there, anyway, so you shouldn't have a hard time choosing what to get.

• late to the game on another classic band once again, alieNDN appeals for recommendations on iggy pop and the stooges. i guess my prior experience was car commercials and the trainspotting soundtrack or something. but recently i discovered the stooges track "Shake Appeal" and i just go fusking nuts when i hear it. i feel like clubbing baby seals and tree huggers when i hear it and i'm a seal hugging tree. everytime im awaiting for the subway doors to open i load up Shake Appeal on my mp3 player and in my mind i imagine myself just kicking the doors open as the Shake Appeal riff starts, but i settle for the doors opening on their own and just run out. WHAT A RIFF! please recommend me some more

oh and happy new year!

ps: if anyone was mislead by the thread topic..well fusk the 3 stooges anyways, i ride for the marx brothers.

Stooges, Fun House[/b] and Raw Power. And MAYBE Lust for Life. But that's all you'll ever need.

late to the game on another classic band once again, alieNDN appeals for recommendations on iggy pop and the stooges. i guess my prior experience was car commercials and the trainspotting soundtrack or something. but recently i discovered the stooges track "Shake Appeal" and i just go fusking nuts when i hear it. i feel like clubbing baby seals and tree huggers when i hear it and i'm a seal hugging tree. everytime im awaiting for the subway doors to open i load up Shake Appeal on my mp3 player and in my mind i imagine myself just kicking the doors open as the Shake Appeal riff starts, but i settle for the doors opening on their own and just run out. WHAT A RIFF! please recommend me some more

oh and happy new year!

Stooges, Fun House[/b] and Raw Power. And MAYBE Lust for Life. But that's all you'll ever need.

Not a lot of Stooges[/b] albums out there. Iggy's solo albums[/b] are almost a whole nother thing...my first album by either was Iggy Pop: Soldier album...I was 13 and always seeing references to him in Creem magazine...well, I didn't hate that record, but it didn't change my life, either...too bad that the three classic Stooges albums were out of print at the time; now THOSE albums would have rocked my world!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    late to the game on another classic band once again, alieNDN appeals for recommendations on iggy pop and the stooges. i guess my prior experience was car commercials and the trainspotting soundtrack or something. but recently i discovered the stooges track "Shake Appeal" and i just go fusking nuts when i hear it. i feel like clubbing baby seals and tree huggers when i hear it and i'm a seal hugging tree. everytime im awaiting for the subway doors to open i load up Shake Appeal on my mp3 player and in my mind i imagine myself just kicking the doors open as the Shake Appeal riff starts, but i settle for the doors opening on their own and just run out. WHAT A RIFF! please recommend me some more

oh and happy new year!

Not a lot of Stooges[/b] albums out there. Iggy's solo albums[/b] are almost a whole nother thing...my first album by either was Iggy Pop: Soldier album...I was 13 and always seeing references to him in Creem magazine...well, I didn't hate that record, but it didn't change my life, either...too bad that the three classic Stooges albums were out of print at the time; now THOSE albums would have rocked my world!!

cosign with everyone else on this the first 3 Stooges LP's are where its at. There was a reunion album that came out sometime in the last 2 years, but from what I hear, it's not too amazing.

I like the Iggy album with Nightcubbing on it, but I forget the name, and I love his picture on lust for life, so entirely dorky that it becomes cool

There was a reunion album that came out sometime in the last 2 years, but from what I hear, it's not too amazing.

The Wilderness. I think the real reason people hate this is because of high expectations. I'm not saying that it's Fun House '07, and Lord knows they could have gone back to the woodshed with those lyrics, but on its own terms, it's not a bad album.

(Remember, I didn't say "classic," I said "not bad"!)

From thehoundblog.blogspot.com:

Rock'n'roll re-unions, at best are disappointing, and usually just plain suck, but the Stooges are always the exception to the rule. Hearing them on TV commercials doesn't bother me, I don't begrudge 'em a cent, hell Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Jimmy Reed all did commercials. Good enough for Jimmy Reed, good enough for anybody. I even like the Stooges last LP The Weirdness which nobody likes, but nobody ever likes their albums until they're twenty years old.[/b]

• Those first three will get you there...

That shit is so f*cking hard. The sound of industrial Detroit.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    was looking for a vintage 'no fun' video for you, failed, but found this, pretty great:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I've always loved this 2001 release of his with this glass breaking, beat shit ballad on it.

http://www.dizzler.com/music/Iggy_Pop/Football

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I like the Iggy album with Nightcubbing on it, but I forget the name,

That's "Sin City" fukking great record.

I used to drive around West Africa playing Stooges CDs on the car stereo full blast. The AC was broke so we always had the windows open. When there was a traffic jam, people who passed us would nod their heads and give us the thumbs up, kids would start jumping up and down. There's no way anybody there had ever heard anything like this but I was surprised how everybody loved it. Local friends riding with us always asked what kind of music this would be.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

er, it's on The Idiot, no?

in addition to the first 3 Stooges records, i would add "I got a right" on 45... if Shake Appeal makes you wanna F*ck shit up, I Got a Right will make you kill someone for real...

also there is a plethera of Stooges bootlegs and rehearsal tapes around... i am partial to "Rubber Legs", w/ "open up and bleed", "johanna" and "cock in my pocket" on it...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The Idiot LP?

Not a lot to go on here, but there is b/w footage of a Stooges show with kids sitting on the floor - maybe there's cushions and some blocks? - eventually looking very uncomfortable when Iggy begins to really do Iggy and jumps on the floor and gets in their faces. Saw it once a long time ago and it was so good!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ... duh... of course "Nightclubbing" is on "The Idiot"...the name of the album I had in mind was "Kill City" not "Sin City" and that has "Night Theme" and not "Nighclubbing"on it... That's what you get from soaking your brain in alcohol for days nonstop. Both are great records. I especially like "Kill City" for its half-finished, rugged appeal.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I would also check out the difference between the OG David Bowie mix of Raw Power and the recent remastered version. Bowie originally mixed it with a very tinny sound and a thin low end. The remaster makes me want to lather up with napalm, light myself on fire, and run screaming down the middle of the street.

You know, even more so than the original mix, which also makes me want to do that.

• I like the Iggy album with Nightcubbing on it, but I forget the name,

er, it's on The Idiot, no?

in addition to the first 3 Stooges records, i would add "I got a right" on 45... if Shake Appeal makes you wanna F*ck shit up, I Got a Right will make you kill someone for real...

also there is a plethera of Stooges bootlegs and rehearsal tapes around... i am partial to "Rubber Legs", w/ "open up and bleed", "johanna" and "cock in my pocket" on it...

yep, I love a lot of that bootleg shit, too..."I'm Sick Of You" is my shit all day long.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've never quite heard a reissue like the Stooges' "Complete Funhouse Sessions." But I'd only recommend it to people who've heard the OG over and over and over; It'd be like seeing deleted scenes before a movie.

But: wowza.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I've never quite heard a reissue like the Stooges' "Complete Funhouse Sessions." But I'd only recommend it to people who've heard the OG over and over and over; It'd be like seeing deleted scenes before a movie.

Huh?? I had no idea such a thing existed! thank you, I need to hear this.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    you need:
    all three stooges LPs & the remastered raw power
    lust for life
    the idiot
    kill city (bomp issue)
    funhouse sessions is insane but not for everyone. saxaphone everywhere. there's an incredible track that's just straight up free noise ala botemagmus/blue humans or some sort of keiji haino blowout. shit really would have cleaned some clocks had it been released in the 70s.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Huh?? I had no idea such a thing existed! thank you, I need to hear this.

Its MP-frees are a must for huge Stooges fans. It's OOP, either way, and no one's selling for less than several hundred.

WP info