Anyone Shipped a Painting Before?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I'm thinking of trying to sell a painting and was wondering if there was any special procedure to it. Should I use a company to do it? Ship in a wooden box? Cardboard and pray? The item isn't framed, should I frame it? It's a Haitian Market Painting SignedHolleur art balleurs, much appreciatedOWWWWWWWWW SLACKZZZZZZZZZ

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Paging Batmon!

• If it's going overseas send it the euro-way. In one of those thin brown paper mailers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    how big is it? what's the material and medium?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'm thinking of trying to sell a painting and was wondering if there was any special procedure to it. Should I use a company to do it? Ship in a wooden box? Cardboard and pray? The item isn't framed, should I frame it?
    It's a Haitian Market Painting Signed
    Holleur art balleurs, much appreciated
    OWWWWWWWWW SLACKZZZZZZZZZ

Did one of your european boyfriend buyers send you a painting for christmas you didn't like?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've built a wooden subframe inside a cardboard box before.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    how big is it? what's the material and medium?

It's about 12x24 or 12x18, canvas stretched on a wood frame, I think it's an oil painting, signed by "Serge".
    It's here:

NoEuromanBFF

If u wanna be crazy about it. Give it to an Art Crating company and they'll protect the hell out of it. If its going international - i would take EVERY necessary precaution. It will probably cost u a little somethin though.

DYI - Which can be done if its travellin w/in the U.S.

Wrap in glassine and then in plastic. Then in Bubblewrap(bubbles out) u dont want the textured side leaving an imprint on the canvas.

Create a cardboard box around it. A simple one will do.

From here ive never done this but, u can probably cop some wood and make the appropriate sized container for the wrapped painting. Call Fed Ex.W/ the proper protection it could go thru US mail.

Protect it. Ive been to the airport a gang of time to drop off Art and seen who dudes handle crates. They dont differenciate. They throw shit around.

Or you can find out from a local art transport company if theyre doin a shuttle near your area. Thet can wrap/protect it themselves and take it along and deliver it while they swing thru other areas. That aint cheap either.

Where are u?

No need for museum quality unless your a baller.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm in western Mass right now. I was wondering if the painting is worth it. I have been looking thru things to sell, and I don't really wanna sell it if it'll go below $100. I like it and it has sentimental value, but I need cash.

I'm in western Mass right now. I was wondering if the painting is worth it. I have been looking thru things to sell, and I don't really wanna sell it if it'll go below $100. I like it and it has sentimental value, but I need cash.

Under $100 aint worf it.

• i'd just unstretch it, roll it up in some glassine, and stick it in a mailing tube -- let the enduser figure if he wants to re-stretch it or get it framed.