Benjamin Button

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Call me a sentimental dude, but I really enjoyed this film. I haven't seen a thread on this but maybe i missed it. 3 hours?.. flew by. Cate Blanchett looked fine as hell, story ran well. It was adapted from the 1921 F. Scott Fitzgerald short by the same name. Anyone else had any opinions?

Comments

• haven't seen it but I heard some people complain about the 80 year old baby man being baby size and feeling that that was inaccurate. Like if he was 80 he'd be at least 5 feet tall, but I was listening to them thinking "ain't no lady giving birth to a 5 foot dude. Come on."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I saw this a few weeks back followed immediately by a Q&A with David Fincher. Thought the film was a more sophisticated type of Forrest Gump film. Fincher said the original script just under 250 pages (4 hours+). He whittled out an hour of it and didn't even read the Fitzgerald story until 2 years after finishing the screenplay so the original story basis never really played a part in his visualization.

Once again I loved Brad Pitt, which sucks to say because I really want to hate him. great make-up you hardly think of it as brad pit until about an hour into knowing the character. definitely one to see in the theaters this winter.

Much better than that slow moving piece of shit Revolutionary Road

• yeah it was like 6 period pieces in one, all seamlessly executed. story could have gone down the sappy road many times but never did. perhaps a bit slow in the middle but no real complaints for me, just a long cool life story, told well, with great visuals. same director (David Fincher) as fight club and se7en, and that dude doesnt really leave much to chance. the WWII stuff (out at sea) was awesome.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Brad Pitt is a great actor.

I don't know why Guzzo is hating, unless he's always tired of being mistaken for him, which I understand.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Brad Pitt is a great actor.

I don't know why Guzzo is hating, unless he's always tired of being mistaken for him, which I understand.

no matter where I go.

it makes me question whether Anniston likes me for my penis or for my resemblence to an old flame

• I saw this yesterday and gotta give it a thumbs down. Pitt was actually not bad with the terribly script. Narration was irritating. Couching of the entire storyline with Katrina was useless. It was full of useless, can't-miss-it symbolism that the director bludgeoned the audience over the head with. The part that bugged me most of all is the exploitation of the "mystical" south. The entire movie felt like it was a big-budget attempt at an indie styled release, but they failed miserably.

• This may sound a little off, but growing up there was a TV show with Robin Williams called
    "Mork & Mindy" (I'm sure lots of people remember, but I know there are some youngsters on this board so just in case.....)

Anyhoo, I bring this up because there was a character played by Johnathan Winters. This character was suppose to be a child from Mork's planet, but on Mork's planet the aging process was the opposite of earth, and children were born (well actually hatched from an egg) as old folks and got younger as time passed......like Benjamin Buttons..........just saying. You think the folks who made benjamin buttons stole the idea from Mork and Mindy?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    This may sound a little off, but growing up there was a TV show with Robin Williams called
    "Mork & Mindy" (I'm sure lots of people remember, but I know there are some youngsters on this board so just in case.....)

Anyhoo, I bring this up because there was a character played by Johnathan Winters. This character was suppose to be a child from Mork's planet, but on Mork's planet the aging process was the opposite of earth, and children were born (well actually hatched from an egg) as old folks and got younger as time passed......like Benjamin Buttons..........just saying. You think the folks who made benjamin buttons stole the idea from Mork and Mindy?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

Yo I used to love Mork & Mindy, but no dude. That's a pretty bugged out thought though.

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is a 1921[/b] short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

*courtesy of wiki.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ain't no one in Hollywood remember some F. Scott shit. Straight up Mork and Mindy biting.

Nanoo nanoo, batches.

• Ain't no one in Hollywood remember some F. Scott shit. Straight up Mork and Mindy biting.

Nanoo nanoo, batches.

shozbot.....

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    holy shit that was funny!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Along with the jack move from Mork & Mindy, Benjamin Button is similar in theme to Forrest Gump, as both feature an unusual character getting into various unbelievable adventures and pursuing their first loves.

• Along with the jack move from Mork & Mindy, Benjamin Button is similar in theme to Forrest Gump, as both feature an unusual character getting into various unbelievable adventures and pursuing their first loves.

written by same dude

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so Brad Pitt is also "slow"?

• heard it was too long and way too predictable.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Very predictable, long, great cinematography, great colors, awesome war scene in the ocean when the tug boat goes against the sub, I love my war movies, but that scene was intense and awesome. Great job on the era settings. New Orleans never looked so beautiful. Many life lessons, but yes very predictable, good film, but not everyones cup of tea.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm confused, Young_Phonics was telling me he was eager to see The Bi-Curious Case Of Benjamin's Butt. Same movie?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    I'm confused, Young_Phonics was telling me he was eager to see The Bi-Curious Case Of Benjamin's Butt. Same movie?

no thats the sequel to Shaving Ryan's Privates.