how much more are rappers making now ?

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
not counting endorsements and adjusting for inflation, how much more are rappers today making than the mcs of the early 80's?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lloyd Banks gets $15 dollars from Magnetic.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    as far as show $$$$ how much do you think loyd is pullin compared to the treacherous three or flash and them in thier hayday?

as far as show $$$$ how much do you think loyd is pullin compared to the treacherous three or flash and them in thier hayday?

C'mon dude.

Those dudes in the Early 80's didnt play stadiums. They might have copped in Europe, but the game is way different now.

I'd say the Fresh Fest Tour probably upped the ante for a gang of groups then.

Harlem World aint the same a Glastonbury.

• Whatever they say they're getting, I'm sure it's a lot less in reality.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think there's any way to answer this accurately. It's not like there's a database of rapper W9s going back 30 years.

I think what you could say is that the ceiling for maximum pay is far higher now. But as for what the "average rapper" makes, I think there are so many variables that it'd be hard to come up with any calculation system that you could use for historical comparison.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

I read Flash's book, he didn't make much back then.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

true, but bam went worldwide off planet rock, how much dough was he seein?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i know eric sermon said he and parrish made 10 g's each a show on thier 1st tour with run, but that was a different time period.

Even if Planet Rock was a global hit and he was able to travel to perform it, I doubt the big time venues were booking Hip Hop in 83. Shit was still considered "disposable" in the early 80's.

It took a long time for the industry to accept this shit as an art.

Those 70's/early 80;s cats paved the way. Shit even Run-DMC had to brake thru a gang of shit to get money.

On the real. Rappers didnt make big money until Caucasoids invested.
    Not just coppin one album to look hip. Not the Rockists that copped Public Enemy. Im talkin about the real wave that saw Hip Hop as the new sound of America's youth.

Even during the "Golden Age" dudes still didnt make the cash that dudes made Post-Puffy/Bling Era.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Even if Planet Rock was a global hit and he was able to travel to perform it, I doubt the big time venues were booking Hip Hop in 83. Shit was still considered "disposable" in the early 80's.

It took a long time for the industry to accept this shit as an art.

Those 70's/early 80;s cats paved the way. Shit even Run-DMC had to brake thru a gang of shit to get money.

On the real. Rappers didnt make big money until Caucasoids invested.
    Not just coppin one album to look hip. Not the Rockists that copped Public Enemy. Im talkin about the real wave that saw Hip Hop as the new sound of America's youth.

Even during the "Golden Age" dudes still didnt make the cash that dudes made Post-Puffy/Bling Era.
    couldn't find any actual venue names for the euro tour bam went on, but he did play london and paris in 83'.

i agree that the high point for making money was during the puffy era, but people ain't selling like that anymore.

i agree that the high point for making money was during the puffy era, but people ain't selling like that anymore.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    should have been clearer, i mean the rapp landscape in general,not the exceptions to the rule like jay,kanye,wayne.

u should check that PUTS/UDuck thraed where dudes ask how their numbers are. Hemol started it.

Are u factoring movies,sneakers,and vodka?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's a lot easier for rappeurs to get sponsorship or endorsements than before

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

no,just show money and record sales.endorsement/clothing lines would be easier to track,run and d made half a mill each after the madison square concert where they made that deal with adiddas.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    should have been clearer, i mean the rapp landscape in general,not the exceptions to the rule like jay,kanye,wayne.

Yeah but which rappers in the '90s were doing arena shows, outside of a handful of "exceptions"?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    outside of package tours, who was headlining arenas?

MC Hammer?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, forgot about him and vanilla ice.

• google some of the agencies that handle the rappers in question. as if you were going to book them.
    find out which of them got endorsements, units sold etc.
    keep in mind, they must write and or produce themselves in order to see any mechanicals and on top of that out of 15 points on a major...youll be lucky to end up with 3.

all the broke washed up rejects are now djs anyway.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    u should check that PUTS/UDuck thraed where dudes ask how their numbers are. Hemol started it.

"We made 6 figures and we drank a lot of beer"

What more would you need?

• the dudes now are making more money now than the very early dudes, but rappers hit their peak like 5-10 years ago...