Freddie Hubbard RIP

2»

Comments

• Such sad news. One of the greatest trumpetplayers.
    Let me put on Sky Dive again. This tune has brought tears to my eyes several times. Thanks Freddie, rest in peace.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    oh no! the next coolest living person to share my birthday is jackie chan. huge step down.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

RIP

• RIP, he played on some of the greatest jazz records ever made.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    RIP, he played on some of the greatest jazz records ever made.

Freddie Hubbard is one of those guys where if you see his name on the personnel list, you know it can't be all bad. Unique and recognizable style. I celebrate (almost) his entire catalogue, from bop messenger to CTI fuze.

• That's really sad news. A lot of great artists have passed away in recent years.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

• really?
    i was waiting for someone to say that

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

really?

So what's going on with this record?

My tastes have never been for that kind of stuff, but I'm open minded. I have everything up through Skydive and tons of Blue Notes with him as a sideman. Just wondering where to go from there.

• really?

So what's going on with this record?

My tastes have never been for that kind of stuff, but I'm open minded. I have everything up through Skydive and tons of Blue Notes with him as a sideman. Just wondering where to go from there.

my tastes are more towards the earlier/blue note stuff as well, but surprisingly this was the first freddie hubbard i owned, so it holds a special place. i also have a high fusion tolerance....love connection has its moments too

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Wow r.i.p.

Open Sesame was one of the records that got me into jazz, after that I discovered many great albums by him or that featured him.

• 70 is so young... Damn. He went through so many diverse musical phases. Red Clay was the first bassline I ever learned to play (thanks a lot ron carter)... And I remember this particular album cover popping out at me as a kid from my Dad's collection:

RIP

Fatback, you will not like "Windjammer".
    Bob James production. S.Gadd, S.Khan, D.Grolnick and all the other fuzak dudes.
    I don't think Freddie would have liked the image of this LP to feature so heavily in this thread
    Cool for samples, but very much on the liteFM tip.

I like the stuff up to about '74. "High Energy" is the last one I listen to regularly.
    His 75-77 LPs are on the bland side.
    His late 70s/early 80s "yacht-look" LPs have their moments, but I still got rid of them all, except "The Love Connection" because of the "Little Sunflower" version. And the Theo Parrish ugly edit of that one stays in the crate.

Obviously, his fusion stuff is going to get the thumbs down by the jazz taliban, but I think a lot of those early 70s albums are pretty good.

Looking at his discography, he's done a lot of different stuff. I mean playing as a sideman or solo artist on albums spanning the styles of "Ugetsu", "Ascension", "Out To Lunch", "Hub-Tones", "Backlash", "Sing Me A Song Of Songmy" and "Sky Dive" with the result always ranging from solid to stellar, shows versatility IMO.

• his post-cti studio albums are absolutely horrible and he has acknowledged that those were overtly commercial dates he did strictly to finance the extravagant lifestyle he had adopted during his early 70's heyday. there is a great/sad downbeat article and blindfold test from about 4-5 years ago with him where he talks extensively about that period in his career and the damage it did to his credibility.

that said, in live settings he continued to play at the top of his game until he blew his lip out in the early 90's. if you want to hear some great, intense freddie hubbard in the 80's check out his easily obtainable double "live at the northsea jazz festival" album on pablo.

"live at the northsea jazz festival" album on pablo.

I get called an asshole every time I bring up that label.

• "live at the northsea jazz festival" album on pablo.

I get called an asshole every time I bring up that label.

Freddie Hubbard's Born to be Blue album on Pablo kicks ass. It includes that Gibraltar track that totally smokes.
    It's not my favorite label either but there are a couple of great discs.

• Just the other week I snagged a used copy of the book "The House That Trane Built: The Story Of Impulse Records" and there's naturally a good amount about Freddie Hubbard in there. Just last week I was noting to myself, "man, for a guy who's been playing as long as he has, Freddie Hubbard isn't ridiculously old." And damn, now he's gone.

Of course, whenever I think of Freddie Hubbard anymore, I don't think of just the great music he made...oh no, I have to think of this too!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i love freddie hubbard -- this is so sad

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i love freddie hubbard -- this is so sad

rest in peace.

Just the other week I snagged a used copy of the book "The House That Trane Built: The Story Of Impulse Records" and there's naturally a good amount about Freddie Hubbard in there. Just last week I was noting to myself, "man, for a guy who's been playing as long as he has, Freddie Hubbard isn't ridiculously old." And damn, now he's gone.

Of course, whenever I think of Freddie Hubbard anymore, I don't think of just the great music he made...oh no, I have to think of this too!

I was gonna ask for that because I lost it.

• Of course, whenever I think of Freddie Hubbard anymore, I don't think of just the great music he made...oh no, I have to think of this too!

Damn, what is that from?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Fav Freddie Hubbard moments:

Mr Clean from Straight Life LP
    All of RED CLAY lp
    People Make The World Go Around on that Milt Jackson LITTLE SUNLFOWER LP.
    The Jazz Crunch from Joe Farrells SONIC TEXT lp

Damn, what is that from?

Wow, I've never heard that clip before either.

According to this allaboutjazz forum thread At a concert in 1967, a rowdy audience got to Freddies nerves and he completely broke down in front of the crowd. This is what he said: (Things in brackets are shouts from the crowd)

"F*ck YOU WHITE MOTHERFUCKERS! F*ck YOU WHITE MOTHERFUCKERS! ("Go home!") Well okay, I'll go home. If you don't like me KISS MY ASS! That's right, cuz you jive, you JIVE, YOU JIVE! You white motherFUCKERS! YOU THE ONES WHO STARTED THIS SHIT! Lemme show you - you the ones - F*ck YOU! F*ck YOU, you white motherFUCKERS! {starts crying} If you don't like me kiss MY BLACK ASS! YOU MOTHERFUCKERS! {drums start} F*ck it, I won't do it!"

Tell 'em why you mad, Freddie!

• Hell's yeah Freddie!!F*ck'em!!

• Wow, I've never heard that clip before either.

According to this allaboutjazz forum thread At a concert in 1967, a rowdy audience got to Freddies nerves and he completely broke down in front of the crowd. This is what he said: (Things in brackets are shouts from the crowd)

"F*ck YOU WHITE MOTHERFUCKERS! F*ck YOU WHITE MOTHERFUCKERS! ("Go home!") Well okay, I'll go home. If you don't like me KISS MY ASS! That's right, cuz you jive, you JIVE, YOU JIVE! You white motherFUCKERS! YOU THE ONES WHO STARTED THIS SHIT! Lemme show you - you the ones - F*ck YOU! F*ck YOU, you white motherFUCKERS! {starts crying} If you don't like me kiss MY BLACK ASS! YOU MOTHERFUCKERS! {drums start} F*ck it, I won't do it!"

Tell 'em why you mad, Freddie!

Trying to find some info about that clip I ran across this page:

http://www.bigozine2.com/archive/ARrarities06/ARsrgraz.html

It appears the recording is from a 1966 Sonny Rollins tour that Freddie Hubbard was playing on. Apparently Freddie was a little inebriated that night and was more than willing to tell the crowd how he really felt. Here's a quote from that webpage:

""In an email, BigO reader Johannes Probst wrote: "I was talking to James Spaulding, who was in that group, and he remembered the night vividly. Hubbard was drunk and started cussing out the audience. So in the intermission the police kicked in the dressing-room door and took both Hubbard and Spaulding into custody. James was very angry with Freddie, because he had to spend the night in jail."

Incidentally, if you go to that webpage you can download the entire show from that night in mp3 form, and with nice artwork in PDF format as well.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I was just about to post that soundclip. So ill. YOU JIVE!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Oh yeah I remember that clip, I thought it was from the 80's, guess not. At the "If you don't like me kiss MY BLACK ASS!" part he sounds kinda like the Spirit of Truth guy!

• Fav Freddie Hubbard moments:

His solo on Dexter Gordon's "I'm a Fool To Want You", short but so amazing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fav Freddie Hubbard moments:

- Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers "Three Blind Mice" - From the 1962 album by Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers. There's one of the basslines again. But the thing that kills me in this song is, after Wayne Shorter's opening tenor sax solo and Cedar Walton's trombone solo, listen to Freddie kick it up. Wayne eases into the song but at exactly 4:09 Freddie hits those notes that says "PICK IT UP!" Art counters with a few drum hits that mimic the notes. Freddie again hits them, and Art rolls out the snare, so that exactly at 4:13 the pace is there for Freddie to coast. This is a perfect example of communication without words, a conversation in music. I can see the session as it was being played without ever being there. I'm in awe listening to it to this day.

Peep the full Freddie Hubbard Tribute Post, complete with mad MP3s, on my site: http://www.cosmobaker.com/

• "Red Clay" - Live 1980

object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-
    96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist">