You ever know a Hacker (nrr)

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
silly question I know...I just had to take a company mandated on-line training seminar regarding IT security and what not. Rather ho-hum as to be suspected, but one of its main points was discussing the frequency/severity of hacker-related events for companies and persons. Which made me curious as to if anyone I know has ever really been in contact with a professional hacker (not just stealing some random persons CC number or some other like felony, but actually a "this is my day job" style hacker).i've come across many types of professionals in my life (lawyers, drug dealers, teachers, etc) but none who ever has claimed to be a Hacker. Given that each year produces at least one big-budget movie where a "hacker" has a large role and contributes to the demise of the world, I would think there would be a larger number of persons at least claiming to be a Hacker?who got gems? or perhaps i should ask:00101110100010101010100001111100101????and before anyone else does it....

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hackers was the first dvd i ever bought

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Do you remember Elz' Japanese homie Ken Ken that came through and did that pirate show in E. Austin? Dude was a professional hacker. He works for some bank trying to hack into it's own firewall/security.

The A*e once asked me to find a hacker to take down a Canadian website that was bootlegging K-O shit. So I asked Ken Ken to do it as a favor and he was like, "I can easily get $10k for that over here". of:

Also, Disco Rick with the stank feet was a hacker/phreaker. He made my first blue box way back in Jester East days, son.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There was a thread on here some time ago about peoples teenage forays into the world, but I don't think anyone turned pro.

Would someone openly admit that's what they do anyway, wouldn't you want to keep it quite?
    Saying that 'they' do have some sort of AGM now.

The Chinese have a strong government sponsored hacker team, that's permanently trying to, well, 'hack stuff'. So I presume most of developed countries have something similar, and most big business also, so there must be a fair few out there.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

i've come across many types of professionals in my life (lawyers, drug dealers, teachers, etc) but none who ever has claimed to be a Hacker.

Well, considering hacking (or as I learned in IT security class, "Cracking," the bad kind of hacking) is a serious crime, I'm not surprised dudes keep it on the low. If you ask a mob guy what he does for a living, he's not going to say "I shake down dudes for protection money. Beat 'em up and break appendages. What do you do?"

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Disco Rick with the stank feet.

Best Name/Description combo EVAR!!!

word J_f. Happy belated birthday too, and sorry for not making it out on Friday. I forgot that going out in H-Town meant driving 1hr to get to said destination. Stayed in and ate Whataburger instead. Probably not as fun, but satisfying in its own way.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

i've come across many types of professionals in my life (lawyers, drug dealers, teachers, etc) but none who ever has claimed to be a Hacker.

Well, considering hacking (or as I learned in IT security class, "Cracking," the bad kind of hacking) is a serious crime, I'm not surprised dudes keep it on the low. If you ask a mob guy what he does for a living, he's not going to say "I shake down dudes for protection money. Beat 'em up and break appendages. What do you do?"

for the sake of people not thinking i am completely dense. YES I REALIZE THAT MOST HACKERS DONT GO AROUND TELLING PEOPLE WHAT THEY DO.

But since I know soulstrut is full of seedy individuals, i figured a few of you probably have come across these types of dudes in your life.

just looking for some gems on a rather boring Monday at work.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    blue box

Disco Rick with the stank feet.

Best Name/Description combo EVAR!!!

word J_f. Happy belated birthday too, and sorry for not making it out on Friday. I forgot that going out in H-Town meant driving 1hr to get to said destination. Stayed in and ate Whataburger instead. Probably not as fun, but satisfying in its own way.

Appreciated! I'm not sweating it. All to the goodage.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Lots of hackers work in the IT industry, surprise surprise

This was an amazing article I read over the weekend:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-01/ff_max_butler

blue box

pre-1998

• Ah the anarchist cookbook. Good shit.

Ah the anarchist cookbook. Good shit.

I think the one in the AC is a specifically British blue box. The one were used was popularized in 2600 Magazine.

• Ah nice. I got down with some shit, but nothing too serious. Just mainly f*cking with phones and taking over peoples home computers. Never was hip enough to understand how to get into networks and shit. I was mad young too though. I was a crazy ass kid though...

• blue box

pre-1998
    i used to make red boxs and sell them to kids in high school to use on the payphone there.
    i wonder if red boxs still work?

blue box

pre-1998
    i used to make red boxs and sell them to kids in high school to use on the payphone there.

None of them have worked since the data line and the operator signal lines were separated. Since then, when you use them, the operator interrupts asks you to deposit change and when you flip out the blue box and start signaling, the operator can hear that audibly and will bust you.

• that was also the case back then, which is why i would go through 1800 collect or one of those services. still occasionally got busted but it worked more often then not

that was also the case back then, which is why i would go through 1800 collect or one of those services. still occasionally got busted but it worked more often then not

I never knew that trick. Once my blue box was irrelevant I moved on to another trick. On certain non-major telecom payphones there was trick where you call any 1-800 number, have the person on the other end the disconnect the call and you would get an operator's tone and you could dial anywhere without signaling. That worked well when I wanted to dial international. The problem was that those phones kept getting bought out by major telecoms or pulled from the location, so eventually I stopped even trying and started messing with the voip client in ICQ.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I was a security expert for a bank for about a month and a half. I honestly have a hard time sitting in a sweatbox for too long. Now I'm back to fixing computers all day.. still shitty, but i'm trying to find a way out.

- spidey

• The Chinese have a strong government sponsored hacker team, that's permanently trying to, well, 'hack stuff'. So I presume most of developed countries have something similar, and most big business also, so there must be a fair few out there.

I've read that hackers can be paid some serious loot in Russia and are sought out in universities by both the mob and govt., and that hacking is becoming a sort of weapon. Just sayin'

• I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about cyber armies and how Russia and China are WAY ahead of us. Appearantly they have both had like 6 month long hacking operations that we've detected and haven't been able to do shit about.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I was arrested twice for phreaking back in the day...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    blue box

pre-1998

All of the new phones shut off the phone mic until the call is connected, rendering redboxes obsolete.