Switzerland

ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
...particularly the french speaking cantons. Anyone ever live there or visited? Lausanne is especially of interest to me as a possible entrance into the expatriate community. How's the life/cost of decent livelihood/climate/etc.? Let's hear of your Swiss experiences.

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Whoops, i was meant to send you a PM.

OK, Switzerland...

I lived in a very small farming village outside of Basel in 1995. I was a farmhand, i shoveled shit, turned hay, fed the cows, mucked out the pigpens, all that glamorous rocknroll stuff.

So my Swiss experience is probably very different to the one you have planned.

This was also in the Schweiz-Deutch speaking part, and was far far far far f*cking far from any urban experience.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    as a dude livin in switzerland let me tell you.. cost of living is f*ckin high ..dont know how it is in the us or elsewhere but here 200 - 300 bucks for a weeks of food is normal..taxes might not be as high but the cost of livin evens it out.

• Switzerland is really expensive. I had a great time in Zurich, but Geneva was really boring.

• jesus. not what i wanted to hear, but thanks for the heads up.

• kubkub 46 Posts
    yeah, as the others have said the schwiiiz is very expensive.

• BBBBUTTT- it's clean! One of the things that is really amazing + weird about CH is all the organization and rules. When I first got to Zurich I was surprised at how clean it looked- trash was actually in trash cans! You can grow herb in your yard (I think it's legal...not sure actually) but you can't mow your lawn on Sunday- you'll be hit with a fine if caught.

I did hit up Lausanne, but only for a brief moment. I did get to go to the Collection de L'Art Brut (if you are interested in 'outsider art' at all) tho, and it was amazing. Creepy, but amazing.

Geneva was cool because I got to hang out w/friends. Other than that, it was kind of boring. If you're really into expensive watches then maybe it's good...??

And yes, like everyone says...HELL OF EXPENSIVE, but if you're coming from an already expensive city then it might not be that bad. I did like seeing the contrast between the architecture, food, language, and culture among the regions after getting to check out Zurich, Geneva, and Lugano.

• and some of the most beautiful women in the world......

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Very beautiful country. Great food, too!

If you have the possibility to work there you won't have to worry about the high cost of living because the wages even for odd jobs are very high.

You can grow herb in your yard (I think it's legal...not sure actually)

nah man..the laws got even stricter..now you can get a huge fine if they catch you with weed

If you have the possibility to work there you won't have to worry about the high cost of living because the wages even for odd jobs are very high.

yeah thats true.. i work for STIHL (just a normal job in the factory workin some assembly lines) and make 27chf an hour (~ 25$)

sorry for double poast

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

yeah thats true.. i work for STIHL (just a normal job in the factory workin some assembly lines) and make 27chf an hour (~ 25$)

sorry for double poast

ok I'm moving to switzerland
    hot women and high paying jobs? sayin

• Very beautiful country. Great food, too!

Yeah, but keep in mind that there are only so many jobs to be had, high payin ones at that...this is a place where it's not all that uncommon to find unemployed architects! But then again, they do seem to come a dime a dozen outta there.

• speaking of architects, they have some of the best IMO:

• i shoveled shit,

the more things change, the more they remain the same.

i shoveled shit,

Back under your bridge troll.

• i shoveled shit,

why dont you just ban me again.

i shoveled shit,

why dont you just ban me again.

See, here it is:

The inevitable ultimate bitch card: "Why dont you just ban me again"?

Here is why i will not just ban you again:

Because you will inevitably just play yourself out like the fool you are, it is so much more fun watching you do it to yourself.

If i ban you again you will, true to form, revert to staying up late at night trolling the web posting on other forums how Soulstrut sucks, we are all just a pack of losers whilst simultaneously emailing RAJ and begging to be let back in, paying to post banner ads and generally throwing a temper tantrum.

You are f*cking pathetic.

• not to beat a dead horse but le suisse is so f*cking expensive. i had sausages with my brother and his family (about 6 people in all) and it cost $90! 90$ for a couple of sausages and a coke. they were good but $90!

the records are killer in zurich. they are super anal and up tight though as well. i had some woman scream at me in german because i was smoking in the parking lot outside my brothers apartment. and they fine you if you don't use special garbage bags. they actually look through the garbage if it isn't in these special bags and figure out who did it and track you down. and the special bags were costing my brother i think about $100 a month. but it is clean and neat and very cool architecture and good records. oh and the people drive slow as shit there and they supposedly are kind of racist but i didn't see that first hand, but i think most of europe is pretty racist anyway so whatever. oh yeah and the swiss alps are awesome, they most beautiful place on earth (this was taken from the top of europe)!

they supposedly are kind of racist but i didn't see that first hand, but i think most of europe is pretty racist anyway so whatever.

plaese to remove ass from mouth.

• they supposedly are kind of racist but i didn't see that first hand, but i think most of europe is pretty racist anyway so whatever.

Please don't take it there.

well the racist part is true, closet racists nonetheless (not everyone but the occasional racist comment will fall). Strange thing is also that when you're born here and are a foreigner (like me) you dont get the swiss i.d., they give you an foreigner "permit" (there are 3 categories a b and c, a being for people that are fugitives, b for people who work here but live in another country i think, and c for people like me that live and work here permanently) and you have to pay more then 1000chf and take a test to get the swiss i.d.
    and yes people in zurich are well known for their smugness and arrogance.. never heard about getting a fine for smoking in a parking lot tho

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Some folks spend a long weekend in some place called 'Europe' and come back as world reknowned authorities on the racism that exists there.

Can't remember the last time any 'Euroman' came on this board and held forth about the racism he encountered whilst on a week with the kids in Orlando or a lazy afternoon in Groove Merchant.

The propensity of some fools on this board to stereotype and propogate mindless received wisdom about 'Europe' and 'Europeans' is an extremely bad look.
    Don't bother trying to 'prove' racism on this continent. Any fool with internet access and a cause can 'prove' whatever they want.

On another note, re: NZ vs Saba
    Well said Al*n
    If a picture paints a thousand words, a thousandth of a picture would be enough to paint Saba.

• Some folks spend a long weekend in some place called 'Europe' and come back as world reknowned authorities on the racism that exists there.

Can't remember the last time any 'Euroman' came on this board and held forth about the racism he encountered whilst on a week with the kids in Orlando or a lazy afternoon in Groove Merchant.

The propensity of some fools on this board to stereotype and propogate mindless received wisdom about 'Europe' and 'Europeans' is an extremely bad look.
    Don't bother trying to 'prove' racism on this continent. Any fool with internet access and a cause can 'prove' whatever they want.

Well said Al*n
    If a picture paints a thousand words, a thousandth of a picture would be enough to paint Saba.

Homo says what?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Some folks spend a long weekend in some place called 'Europe' and come back as world reknowned authorities on the racism that exists there.

Well said Al*n

Homo says what?

Trolls typically encompass all the psychos and haters online. However, it is possible to troll and not be a psycho or a hater. Trolls usually disagree with everyone no matter how illogical their argument is. They will do everything in their power to try to make everyone upset and fighting with each other

Psychos are the ones who do the following: stalk people online, dig up personal information on their opponents and post it for others to see, take all the online drama so seriously they literally drive to other people???s houses to take pictures and veil the photos with a threat. Additionally, they usually rifle through numerous accounts to continue their conquest of making another person look bad.[/b] These people walk the thin line as it pertains to criminal activity since they are empowered by the anonymity of the Internet. (These are the kind of psychos to watch out for???)

Haters post derogatory remarks on any topic usually targeting race, sexual orientation[/b] or religion. The only value they provide is the debate within a normally-acceptable discussion. These people wouldn???t dare say their remarks said online due to their insecurities, but again, the cloak of anonymity on the Internet only encourages this negative behavior.

• It's even more funny to see all this people talking about racist europeans when there's a very comical and not cynical at all thread about french (Understanding This Modern Soul Phenomenon) at the same time.

Americans and their good ol' wide view of the world...

• I recommend reading Fritz Zorn's MARS.

• peace, stein. . .

• If you get to know the locals in Geneva, its a really fun place to be. Theres lots of cool little shops, One really nice psych oriented store off the main train station a bit with tons of great records. There was also a little skate shop not far from the main statino that had sick clothes and a wall full of original Jordans. I f*cking love Switzerland in general. Zurich is a great place as well. Go to Hum Records and say whats up to Michel for me!

• If you get to know the locals in Geneva, its a really fun place to be. Theres lots of cool little shops, One really nice psych oriented store off the main train station a bit with tons of great records.

Stigmate records, one of the best in Europ!